Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well do Teslas handle parking lot door dings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the auto-park feature will have a minimum space option to ensure that when the car is parked, enough space is provided on either side of the car to allow people to enter and exit not only the Tesla car - but also the adjacent vehicles.

When I park, I do this myself, and often pass up narrow spaces (the Model S is a wide car) and will keep hunting until I can find a space large enough to provide a reasonable gap between cars.

I've had my P85 since early 2013, and I've been able to avoid all but a very few door dings...

Some people seem to think that if they park next to a more expensive-looking vehicle then that one is more likely than theirs to be attacked by any passing idiots.

There should be an AP2 setting, where if someone parks right next to you and before they have a chance to open their doors, your car immediately drives off and parks somewhere else :)

Last edited:
Lame. How old is your car? I have a feeling I'm going to be way too paranoid when I get my car. I want to keep it really nice for at least a year. I hope my wife doesn't want to drive it. My 15 year old already asked if should could drive it to school.:eek:

I hear you, but ultimately there is NOTHING you can do to avoid these problems. The other day I was sitting in my car, a lady walks up to the car next to me on the right, and of course she starts to undress in the 1' space between the cars. She banged the metal part of her handbag on my car and I just said COME ON through the open passenger door. And she was upset that I told her off and that it was 'only' her handbag. So yeah.. Avoid shitty cars, minivans, Honda Pilots etc and try to park uphill, but ultimately you're at the mercy of society (and nature).. Aluminum dings can be easily fixed for a couple hundred bucks, paint is a different beast.

Lame. How old is your car? I have a feeling I'm going to be way too paranoid when I get my car. I want to keep it really nice for at least a year. I hope my wife doesn't want to drive it. My 15 year old already asked if should could drive it to school.:eek:

Mine is a 2014 but I bought it from the prev owner back in May this year. Less than 6mo to have some idiot hit it and take off.

The most dangerous place to take your Tesla .... a Service Center.

3 weeks old, dropped it off to put on 21's and the techs leave me this gift. Cant ever drop my car off without the techs scratching, chipping or denting something.

Thankfully, a dent wizard got it out.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Coming up on 25k miles after nearly 5 months of ownership (I obviously do a lot of driving) and no door dings.

My strategy:

1. Move to the country. Living and working in a small town with a tiny population means that most of the time I've got plenty of parking. Also greatly reduced stress due to little traffic and always knowing exactly how long it takes, every single time, to reach a destination.
2. Shop and drive places during off peak. I normally go shopping about an hour or even 30 minutes before the local grocery closes, greatly reducing the chances of having too many other cars/people around. Makes getting what I need and getting out much faster too. I make it a point to do most of my traveling at night when possible, which also helps ensure easy Supercharger access/availability.
3. Always park in the back, or in a corner spot, and never between two cars (as mentioned by others - it really helps!).
4. Get an "always on" dash cam.

Pro tip: Offer to do the laundry and then put clothes in the wrong batch, bleach something that should not have bleach etc. You will never be asked to do laundry again.

Extra points for ruining delicate lingerie or something that should be dry cleaned.:)

My technique (25 years ago), was to put enough soap in the washer to wash clothes for a month. Took her 4 or 5 rinse cycles to get the soap out. Never asked me to help with laundry again.

• Funny
Reactions: gabeincal
IMG_9086.JPG

There. Sorted.

Unless you live in the boonies, sometimes you can't avoid parking between two other cars. Or parking where someone else will soon park next to you.

When I had my Delorean, I'd park out in the furthest, uninhabited, desolate parts of the parking lot. There would be no cars for "miles". But actually 9 times out of 10, I'd come back out and some jackwad in a chevy beater would park RIGHT NEXT TO ME. Sure, I get it, you want to go see the cool car.. but really, you have to park 8" away?
Love Flux Capacitor in your signature.. One of my favs