Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you prefer to pay for Supercharging?

Not asking what you think will happen; How would you prefer to pay for supercharging?

• ~$2k at purchase. 'Free' forever

Votes: 189 46.6%
  • Pay per (insert whatever here); Assume cost is similar to 50mpg car ~$6/150 miles

Votes: 217 53.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how the poll results would change if supercharging was only $500 or $1,000 one time. Would anyone who said $2,000 was too much and would rather pay-per-use switch their answer?

I think Tesla is going to factor some of the network's cost into the car, but not all. This would potentially allow for both a cheaper up front unlimited upgrade and a more realistic costing pay-per-use model (that they don't have to take a large hit on initially).

Reactions: callmesam
I like free Supercharging if you are farther than 150 miles (60% of battery capacity) away from your home. If you want to charge near your home, Pay Up and a lot more than $2k.

It still allows the summer vacation without costing you $2k upfront. Reduces congestion, allows cheap cross country travel, don't have to mess with a pay as you go system and encourages you to charge at home.

Reactions: Red Sage
Mod note:
It would be lovely if we could keep the discussion in this thread on "what you'd prefer" and the results of the poll. Discussions about what makes sense for Tesla and other general Model 3 Supercharging chit-chat should take place in the Model 3 Supercharging thread.

It makes little sense for the same participants to have the same conversation in two places, and I'll be tempted to move the bulk of these over to that thread if it continues that way.

Thanks in advance.

I do understand those who are ignorant to those who need to charge. My advice is to 'charge by time' of use beyond 90% charge. So, if you're ignorant to other's needs-you'll get charged a 25.00 per hr fine by charging over 90% per charge up. This way you are monitoring your car and how much charge you really need. I was at Yosemite and one S owner left his car in the charger for 2 days straight. Unacceptable-Should be fined per hr in access. Other than that, it should be free for all or everyone should pay for SC upon purchase of the car. Just my opinion. I'd like to see a meter installed that monitors the serial number of the car plugged in. After 90% it stops charging the car and starts billing the owner through tesla website.

+42! Exactomundo! Quoted for TRUTH on the internet! The Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything about "Why Shouldn't Cheapskate Pay-As-You-Go Advocates Get Things Their Way with the Tesla Supercharger Network?"

Uhhh, why are you trying to portray "pay as you go" people as cheapskates? I want pay as you go, but if I have to I will pay up front for Supercharging and then I will seldom charge at home. The Supercharger being installed near where I am going to live is in the mall parking lot. I can make a mall trip once or twice a week to catch a movie or go shopping / out to eat even if I didn't have free fuel there.

At this time (since I haven't moved yet) EV owner population in Mississippi is near zero and after I move it will grow by 1. I suspect that even after the model 3 is available, in a state where the median household income is a bit under 40K not many people will be purchasing Tesla's over the next few years. It will be me, and people on road trips using my local Supercharger.

Personally I think it would be more profitable in the long run for Tesla go to a pay per minute system and open up the Superchargers to non-Tesla's... if they don't it is no skin off my nose, but I will get use out of what I am paying for... heavy use of Superchargers would be a cheapskate move if I didn't have that wonderful mall to go to...

Keith

• Disagree
Reactions: Jaff
Flat fee for urban drivers who may need road charging once a year for $2000 is much more expensive than gasoline. Enabling a pay per use process also sets Tesla up to charge another brand to use the SC system. Model S/X has funded the SC network, future revenue should capture per use. It provides a fair pricing model for infrequent highway travelers and it discourages the SC addicts that Elon referred to, who don't charge at home.

Uhhh, why are you trying to portray "pay as you go" people as cheapskates? I want pay as you go, but if I have to I will pay up front for Supercharging and then I will seldom charge at home. The Supercharger being installed near where I am going to live is in the mall parking lot. I can make a mall trip once or twice a week to catch a movie or go shopping / out to eat even if I didn't have free fuel there.

Keith
No, that's the wrong mentality for you to have and that would be abusing the network. You pay to have access to long distance travel. You would be part of the problem Tesla has now. Tesla really needs to make an algorithm of a certain distance around the living location of the customer so it's not abused like this.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jaff and callmesam
I have had my Model X for three months and have yet to charge at a Supercharger. The closest Superchaeger is 70 miles away. We plan on starting to take some long road trips this fall and will use the Supercharging then or charge at a Tesla Destination Charger.

I think the average Model 3 owner will rarely use a supercharger since the Superchargers are only for long distance travel. Few people drive 200 plus miles a day other than sales people. Tesla has the ability to prevent local users from using Superchargers so that will eliminate them. Therefore, if it cost $2,000, which it probably will, the average user will never get their money's worth. As others have said it is easy for Tesla to know which car is being charged and could charge it to the owners' preregistration credit or debit card. Since many states prohibit the direct sale of electricity by anyone other than an electric company they would have to do it based on a per use charge which would not only cover the cost of electricity but also the credit card fee, overhead and profit for Tesla.

I just reviewed the data in Model3Tracker.info. It shows 84.4% of those responding said they would pay for Supercharging, 15.6% said they wouldn't. This may change now Tesla has formally indicated there will be some type of fee for charging.

In one way I do not understand the question since the obvious answer is: whatever is cheapest for me.
On another level though, I sorely want the country to transition to a clean economy and I am happy to contribute money to see it happen.

Depending on the day, these two notions conflict. Probably why I am happy either way ;-)
One additional point though: the pay ahead option on a leased car is pretty expensive. A monthly subscription service would probably suit me better.

Last edited:
I'm honestly tired of all these polls and won't be voting. However it will have to be pay per use for me. My current car will function as my long range driving car and therefore I will not be using a supercharging station enough to make it worthwhile if assuming that Tesla will charge $1000+ for lifetime Supercharging. When driving long range, time is usually something I do not often have much of and therefore I would not want to hunt for a Tesla supercharger and then wait 30-45 minutes for the car to charge.