Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC cable not delivered with my vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct me if I'm wrong: the HPWC used to cost more?

Yes. The HPWC used to cost 1200 and could be ordered with the car. That's why it's on the sticker. The original owner more than likely still has it installed and is using it.

Unless the HPWC was shown on the CPO listing, I would not expect to receive it. You should however receive a UMC which will work with the 14-50 you installed.

Tesla has changed how they sell the HPWC and dual chargers a number of times over the years which adds to the confusion. With the car/as an accessory/bundled/unbundled.

Andrew, read his post. THERE WAS NO OTHER OWNER! This is not a CPO. It was a demo.
The car must have been a loaner for 2 years?
And for some peculiar reason (for being a loaner) had the HPWC listed.

Oh, I missed that. Hmmm, interesting edge case. It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect an HPWC I think as the first owner, unless Tesla explicitly excluded it on the listing.

Also, this Inventory car with HPWC was likely a customer order who didn't take delivery for whatever reason, and Tesla kept it as a demo/loaner. Even though the HPWC was on the window sticker, I wouldn't expect it to be included as part of an Inventory car purchase just because it was on the sticker. Maybe they'll give you one as a courtesy because of the confusion, but I really would not demand or expect them to. Also, read your MVPA to see if it covers this situation for included or excluded "accessories".

Also, this Inventory car with HPWC was likely a customer order who didn't take delivery for whatever reason, and Tesla kept it as a demo/loaner. Even though the HPWC was on the window sticker, I wouldn't expect it to be included as part of an Inventory car purchase just because it was on the sticker. Maybe they'll give you one as a courtesy because of the confusion, but I really would not demand or expect them to. Also, read your MVPA to see if it covers this situation for included or excluded "accessories".

There was no HPWC on any of the paperwork generated for the sale of the car. Therefore I am neither demanding or expecting an HPWC. I simply saw it listed as a paid line item on the Monroney sticker that was given to me at the time of purchase. I have run the discount numbers suggested earlier (1% per month and $1 per mile) and it does not appear that the $1200 was excluded in those figures. I am just curious about the HPWC value and the price I paid. I have made a call to my local Sales guys and they are checking on it and I am grateful they are pursuing it. Awesome car with awesome service is a most unusual scenario in 2015 :smile:

A lot of people are unnecessarily complicating this. This is simple. the sticker is irrelevant, as that's not what you bought, that's the original (unless you paid the full price listed on it!)
Look at your final price sheet as given to you by Tesla. It will list everything you actually paid for. If the HPWC is on that, show them the price sheet and they'll give you one. If it's not on the price sheet, then you didn't buy it.

A lot of people are unnecessarily complicating this. This is simple. the sticker is irrelevant, as that's not what you bought, that's the original (unless you paid the full price listed on it!)
Look at your final price sheet as given to you by Tesla. It will list everything you actually paid for. If the HPWC is on that, show them the price sheet and they'll give you one. If it's not on the price sheet, then you didn't buy it.

Yes, but...

If as the OP suggests Tesla calculated the Inventory price using their standard formula, then it might very well have included $1200 for the HPWC as part of the initial price in the formula. If that's true and Tesla will own up to it, then in my view the OP will be due either a pro-rated refund or an HPWC, at Tesla's option.

If as the OP suggests Tesla calculated the Inventory price using their standard formula, then it might very well have included $1200 for the HPWC as part of the initial price in the formula. If that's true and Tesla will own up to it, then in my view the OP will be due either a pro-rated refund or an HPWC, at Tesla's option.
And that's exactly what his final price sheet will show. That's the document that's important here. not the window sticker.

Price sheet lists all the options, and the calculated discount, and the final price. If it's not on there, he didn't pay for it. Now that said, there is one other place to look, and that's the documentation he was sent before putting his deposit down, because if any of that shows it, he's also entitled to it. (In my case the only thing I could see before putting the deposit down on my inventory car was the webpage on the pre-owned site, it listed a feature that wasn't listed anywhere else, and wasn't on the car, but because it was promised when I put down the deposit, Tesla added that feature to make it right.)

And that's exactly what his final price sheet will show. That's the document that's important here. not the window sticker.

Price sheet lists all the options, and the calculated discount, and the final price. If it's not on there, he didn't pay for it.

Ah, so. Didn't know the calculations were included in the purchase documents (I've never bought an inventory car).

My inventory car did not come with a window sticker at all, however it did come with both the original price sheet, and the final price sheet. Original showed what it was when brand new, and final showed the same list of options, and then calculations for the inventory discount and referral credit, then the final dollar value that I had to pay Tesla for the car. Now in this case the OP happens to have the window sticker, but it's no different than the original price sheet that I have, it's what the car was when new, not what it is now as an inventory sale.

There was no HPWC on any of the paperwork generated for the sale of the car. Therefore I am neither demanding or expecting an HPWC. I simply saw it listed as a paid line item on the Monroney sticker that was given to me at the time of purchase. I have run the discount numbers suggested earlier (1% per month and $1 per mile) and it does not appear that the $1200 was excluded in those figures. I am just curious about the HPWC value and the price I paid. I have made a call to my local Sales guys and they are checking on it and I am grateful they are pursuing it. Awesome car with awesome service is a most unusual scenario in 2015 :smile:

If it wasn't excluded, then yes, I agree you should persue it for either a HPWC or a refund based on the same formula.

Question answered by Tesla: The adjusted price included a $1200 discount for the HPWC which had been included with the car when put in service as a demo/loaner. I was off by a month in my calculations on the discount formula. Thanks to all who offered suggestions and comments. Happy New Year!

Yes, but...

^^ this.

We had a similar issue with the HPWC listed as a $750 option in the right column on our inventory 2015 P85D "offer" PDF document. We accepted this "offer" in wiring and put a $5,000 deposit, arranged our financing, and we're ready to complete our purchase until I received our actual Tesla "purchase agreement" with the same total price as our accepted "offer"... but the HPWC line was missing.

When I asked our Tesla salesman, he contact corporate and they acknowledged this "computer glitch" of inventory "offer" documents erroneously listing the HWPC "option". He also said our HPWC would be NOT delivered as part of our inventory P85D purchase price. I complained vigorously and our awesome Tesla salesman got me an "Open Box" HPWC delivered at no charge so I completed our purchase. However, after our Tesla approved electrician installed our HPWC and I set the charge rate to 80A on our dual charger equipped P85D to test our wiring and the HPWC, the HPWC connector got REAL hot (155ºF). I contacted Tesla Service who said since my HPWC wasn't on our final purchase order they wouldn't repair or replace it. Frustrated, I contacted Tesla corporate in writing and they had our service center send out a Tesla Ranger with a brand new HPWC cable which got everything working perfectly. Awesome Tesla customer service IMHO albeit with a lot of time pursuing getting what I'd agreed to when I accepted their inventory "offer" and they accepted our $5,000 deposit.

So in the end we received an awesome HPWC that was listed in our inventory "offer" PDF document.

As for the HPWC's 80A charge rate, its nice to have in case we ever need a fast charge at our home... but we've honestly only used it once at the 80A rate in the 5 months we've owned our Tesla for a quick "top off" when I'd forgot to plug in the night before. Knowing what I know now I would just install a NEMA 14-50 since it would have been all we needed, the 14-50 would have been cheaper to install, charging at lower amperage is supposedly better for our battery, 100A circuit breaker and wiring... especially since I could always install a HPWC later.

But the HPWC sure looks awesome on our garage wall, especially when its pulsing GREEN when its charging. Reminds me of Hal9000 from 2001 A Space Oddesy (OK Hal pulsed red) :cool: