Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Disconnect Switch Code Requirement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi SureValla,

I am not an electrician...
The GE 100 AMP 240 looks like a possibility for you.
Check with your electric code people, inspector, local electrician...

The Square D Breaker enclosure is just an enclosure....
From what it looks like you will have to buy the breakers and other switchgear to
complete it.
It will be much more expensive when you are done...

Shawn

You should talk to a local building inspector. The breaker panel solution may not be approved. On the other hand, if you want to be prepared for multiple Wall Connectors, the sub-panel solution is much better since you can have a separate breaker for each wall connector

You should talk to a local building inspector. The breaker panel solution may not be approved. On the other hand, if you want to be prepared for multiple Wall Connectors, the sub-panel solution is much better since you can have a separate breaker for each wall connector
Just installed a second HPWC that was prewired when the first one wat installed last year..
Both are now tied to just one100amp Breakerin the sub-panel
There is a signal wire in a separate conduit for communication between the master and the slave HPWC.
(Distributes available 80 amps to both cars when both are charging)
Also installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet below the master as a backup in case of HPWC malfunction and to allow for driveway charging.
#2 wire to both chargers. (Overkill)
DCB126E4-56CA-4085-8B92-B72218884C99.jpeg

169D4D03-FE3B-4240-AA0B-460058CE8C81.jpeg

BFCF10AA-CE5F-4560-8C87-E2B3EDC56EED.jpeg

Just installed a second HPWC that was prewired when the first one wat installed last year..
Both are now tied to just one100amp Breakerin the sub-panel
There is a signal wire in a separate conduit for communication between the master and the slave HPWC.
(Distributes available 80 amps to both cars when both are charging)
Also installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet below the master as a backup in case of HPWC malfunction and to allow for driveway charging.
#2 wire to both chargers. (Overkill)

Interesting. Tesla's own installation video routes the signal wire in the same conduit with the high-voltage wires. (Load Sharing - TESLA Wall Connector) I know it's typically not allowed run high-voltage and low-voltage together, but in this case, it seems that since both ends of the low voltage cable terminated in high-voltage enclosures, there's not much danger in the way Tesla does it. I'm no expert on what code says, though.

Interesting. Tesla's own installation video routes the signal wire in the same conduit with the high-voltage wires. (Load Sharing - TESLA Wall Connector) I know it's typically not allowed run high-voltage and low-voltage together, but in this case, it seems that since both ends of the low voltage cable terminated in high-voltage enclosures, there's not much danger in the way Tesla does it. I'm no expert on what code says, though.
Tesla also says that if you do run them in the same conduit, the insulation on the low voltage wire has to be rated for the higher voltage.

Tesla also says that if you do run them in the same conduit, the insulation on the low voltage wire has to be rated for the higher voltage.
Seemed unwise to run it in the same conduit, especially since it was already installed.
Bought signal wire from my local Home Depot.
Only 28 cents per foot for 18 gauge shielded 2 conductor. Under $17 for 60 feet. Only needed 30. Ran a spare in the same conduit for safety.
00ad818f-673e-4e79-9e6b-1487f872d9dc-jpeg.290077

can you describe your original setup before the second HPWC?

Prior to adding the second HPWC everthing except signal conduit/wire and 2nd Wall Charger was there.
There was a 2nd NEMA 14/50 where second Charger is now connected to the 50amp breaker with #2 wire.
The NEMA 14/50 under the left Master HPWC was pre-wired but not connected.
The 50 amp breaker which is now connected to the the NEMA 14/50 under the master HPWC (was connected to the removed NEMA 14/50 where the 2nd Charger is now)
50amp breaker is switched off.
Both Chargers are now bound together in the sub-panel and connected to the 100 amp Breaker.
Had this inspected and informed him of our intentions regarding the 2nd Charger.
One NEMA 14/50 was labeled “INACTIVE” at time of inspection.
54A2073A-1920-4367-B7FB-A39F3AED9B2C.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: SureValla