Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane Harvey fallout - Gas queues in Dallas - Where is my EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do the gas pumps operate without electricity? Most ICE stations I know don't have emergency generators. And if ICE stations can bring in emergency generators to operate in disasters. so can SuperCharger stations.

My EV will sit in my garage with a minimum 80% charge all the time (100% if I know a disaster is approaching). Not so with an ICE that may be on near empty. I'll take my EV over an ICE in a disaster, anytime.

Florida has a law that requires gas stations to have generators. It's kind of weird if they don't. It's on site!

I look at surviving a disaster as a team effort, not a contest.

There is currently room for both techs imo. As places to charge become less dependent on the grid and more plentiful, I'd probably say differently.

I never said there isn't room for both techs or that there's anything inherently wrong with EVs.

I just pointed out that realistically an ICE is a much better vehicle to have in a "disaster" situation than an EV. At least in my opinion.... and then people start comparing keeping a week's worth of fuel on hand with spending $50,000 to have some custom off grid solution to charge their EV. Whatever.

Ah the "why are you here" if you aren't part of the groupthink unit comment. Was wondering when that one would pop up.

I'm here because there should be a good counter to the people that think Elon Musk urinates lemonade and rainbows or unicorns shoot out of his butt when he farts.

I'm really here because the Model 3 has piqued my curiosity.

I'm sure it causes real angst in the echo chamber here when someone is pragmatic or a realist about EVs and green energy but I'm pretty sure I haven't done anything that will get me banned yet.

Also, as previously disclosed I have a 7,000 watt solar installation on my house. I didn't do it to save the planet or because I'm committed to green energy. I did it as a hedge against electric inflation knowing we would be in the house for 20 years... not to mention the huge federal tax credit (I pay crap tons of taxes, might as well get them to throw ME a bone once in a while) and what the local utility paid. $33,000 system installed for $10,000? Sign me up.

No, it's not so much groupthink as the EVERY. SINGLE. COMMENT. of yours is about something "better" than Tesla.

We call you Captain Topper.

No matter what someone is talking about, you did/know/own something better. Everything is a sad, sad competition.

But hey, congrats, you WON!!!!

I never said there isn't room for both techs or that there's anything inherently wrong with EVs.

I just pointed out that realistically an ICE is a much better vehicle to have in a "disaster" situation than an EV. At least in my opinion.... and then people start comparing keeping a week's worth of fuel on hand with spending $50,000 to have some custom off grid solution to charge their EV. Whatever.
I missed the part about your ownership experience of a Tesla? You do have one, right? If not, what the h***l are you doing trolling here?

I missed the part about your ownership experience of a Tesla? You do have one, right? If not, what the h***l are you doing trolling here?

Who is trolling? Because I'm critical of the idea that an ICE car is better than an EV car following a natural disaster? Because I know things about electricity, solar residential, generators, GASOLINE?? The audacity!!! Kill him!

I wasn't aware that owning a Tesla was required for being here. Having a Tesla on order isn't enough? Is this the part where you white knights come in and drive the interloper out?

How many will you purge with your crusade? Only the ones who don't gush effusively non stop about Tesla? Sheesh.

Well if you charge at night, then your home becomes your gas station, in cumulative terms then there would be many more 'gas stations.'

Once I get my Model 3 (and maybe a solar/Powerwall setup down the road), I'll range charge the car a few days ahead of the storm and then make sure the Powerwall is at a full 15kWh before it hits.

If I'm only running a few things off it, I should be able to go a few days.

yes, slightly more tolerable than the Royal PITA

Ah, so I'm a PITA because I argued that an ICE is a better vehicle to have after a natural disaster than an EV and then poked a whole bunch of holes in things people post about that they really don't know about like residential solar install or that some gasoline in storage containers is going to kill children and pets?

Thanks for the personal attack by the way, seems like I'm on the receiving end of quite a lot of that over not doing proper groupthink. How many fingers are you holding up? I want to make sure I get it right.

Who is trolling? Because I'm critical of the idea that an EV is better than an ICE car following a natural disaster? The audacity!!! Kill him!

I wasn't aware that owning a Tesla was required for being here. Having a Tesla on order isn't enough? Is this the part where you white knights come in and drive the interloper out?

How many will you purge with your crusade? Only the ones who don't gush effusively non stop about Tesla? Sheesh.
So at this point you have no ownership experience with a Tesla? Our collective point is that having a full "tank" every morning has inherent advantages over ICE, irrespective of hurricanes or how many gas stations there are. But you'll learn that once your ordered Tesla arrives.

Who is trolling? Because I'm critical of the idea that an ICE car is better than an EV car following a natural disaster? Because I know things about electricity, solar residential, generators, GASOLINE?? The audacity!!! Kill him!

Yet no one is attacking me for saying that there is a role for ICE during natural disasters. So... maybe your approach? Something to consider. :)

So at this point you have no ownership experience with a Tesla? Our collective point is that having a full "tank" every morning has inherent advantages over ICE, irrespective of hurricanes or how many gas stations there are. But you'll learn that once your ordered Tesla arrives.

I'm pretty sure that I'm more knowledgeable about the advantages and disadvantages of an EV compared to most of the people here, at least based on the peanut gallery comments I've seen.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: GSP and Rich966
Ah, so I'm a PITA because I argued that an ICE is a better vehicle to have after a natural disaster than an EV and then poked a whole bunch of holes in things people post about that they really don't know about like residential solar install or that some gasoline in storage containers is going to kill children and pets?

Thanks for the personal attack by the way, seems like I'm on the receiving end of quite a lot of that over not doing proper groupthink. How many fingers are you holding up? I want to make sure I get it right.

Well, for one, you were wrong about residential solar cutting itself off if it loses the feed from the grid.

Two, you refused to acknowledge that some of us live in dense residential areas subject to zoning and regulations about storing flammables.

So it's not like you poked a bunch of holes in anything. You stomped your feet and told us that YOUR use case is the one source of truth, which honestly sounds a lot more like groupthink than the rest of the discussion...........

Reactions: GSP and Rich966
But hey...........Congrats!!!

number-of-internet-arguments-ive-won.png

While having a serviceable vehicle during an emergency, such as in Houston, is great, the goal is to get out of town and evacuate, as any official will tell you, as soon as you can. Tooling around town during a storm to get to one of the 10000 gas stations and going to the park is not a great idea. Better to evac.

The title of this thread is for Dallas, where there is no emergency, no ice storm, no loss of power. Just long lines from real or manufactured gas shortage. If someone were in Dallas right now, they could still charge at night, they could still use wind turbine and solar for energy generation.

Reactions: Rich966 and bonnie