Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery Died with 7 miles range left showing on Range display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was already aware that bringing the battery to a very low SOC is not good for the battery health. That's not the issue or my question. My question is if others have had the same experience of the car dying when it shows 4+ or 7+ miles of range left. I want to get a sense for if there is a problem with my battery/car or if this is normal. There have also been some people trying to offer troubleshooting steps or ask questions about my usage which is helpful.

For additional context I'm on track to do close to 43,000 miles this year so I'm put in situations where it's easier to run the battery down vs most people doing say 14K miles. All of the "I don't bring my car below 10%", that's great but not helpful and doesn't add much value to the thread.

You can do an actual degradation test from within service mode. You'll need to start with an SOC of sub 50, which really doesn't mean 50% shown within any of the screens as the car has a buffer that isn't avail to any of the calculators.

Start this process with the battery somewhere under 42%, it takes quite a long time(unto 24hrs), and requires you to be plugged into a lvl2 charger the entire time. It will discharge the car to 0 and back up to 100%.

Use this information as you wish.

To answer your other question, no I don't experience this and regularly drain well into the 0% range, quite often leaving it sub 10% for long periods of time. Then supercharge / lvl2 to above 80, quite often to 100%. 60k miles of doing this and my abused pack has 89% health as determined from the above procedure.

You can do an actual degradation test from within service mode. You'll need to start with an SOC of sub 50, which really doesn't mean 50% shown within any of the screens as the car has a buffer that isn't avail to any of the calculators.

Start this process with the battery somewhere under 42%, it takes quite a long time(unto 24hrs), and requires you to be plugged into a lvl2 charger the entire time. It will discharge the car to 0 and back up to 100%.

Use this information as you wish.
Thanks, was planning on doing this. Just waiting to get the battery down to 20% or so from driving so the test won't take as long.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I was already aware that bringing the battery to a very low SOC is not good for the battery health. That's not the issue or my question. My question is if others have had the same experience of the car dying when it shows 4+ or 7+ miles of range left. I want to get a sense for if there is a problem with my battery/car or if this is normal. There have also been some people trying to offer troubleshooting steps or ask questions about my usage which is helpful.

For additional context I'm on track to do close to 43,000 miles this year so I'm put in situations where it's easier to run the battery down vs most people doing say 14K miles. All of the "I don't bring my car below 10%", that's great but not helpful and doesn't add much value to the thread.
To answer your question no it’s definitely not normal. There should be a buffer even beyond 0%/0mi so owners won’t get caught out with a dead HV battery like you did. That’s not a great customer experience and as you sad would make people not trust the car.

Most likely your BMS calibration is out of whack and/or battery cells are not balanced. That’s just further exacerbated by your driving and charging habits. People say the BMS doesn’t take calibration readings unless it’s asleep for a few hours. Since you drive so much the car is hardly ever asleep and the BMS doesn’t get a chance to take any readings at various SOC.

You can try the battery degradation test in the service menu mentioned above and the tips for cell balancing and BMS calibration listed on several websites. Might even need to do it a few times. It will require a lot of downtime of the car to go through those procedures though so unless you have another car to use you might not be able to do it.

Have you contacted service to see what they have to say?

Reactions: limmerguy
Running your battery down to less than 10% multiple times isn't great on the battery.
I used to think this but then I was corrected. The HV battery is happiest at low states of charge. The problem with going down to zero is it can harm your low voltage battery, but that may be less of an issue if it is Li-ion.

There are many posts about this here. For example:

Nope. Thats a forum truth. People have been misinterpreted the information Tesla gives.

No, its not like that.

There is a ton of research on this and the research results is very consistent on this.
In a few cases the conclusions is ”wrong” because of that the test setup was not good, or the conclusions was faulty because the research test setup did ”hide facts”

More or less any lithium battery is more happy at low SOC.
As Tesla has a 4.5% buffer in the bottom 0% on the screen is about 4.5% and very safe.

Lithium batteries degrade from calendar aging (time) and cyclic aging (charge/drive cycles).

For most Tesla users, the main degradation factor is calendar aging for the first five years or so. Calendar aging lessens with time.
Calendar aging increases with SOC and temperature.
Calendar aging is the degradation that most people confuse with battery lottery.

View attachment 826999

0% in research and these tests is the minimum discharge voltage the battery cell manufacturer sets. Thats 2.5 Volts for NCA like Panasonic 2170. (100% SOC is the maximum voltage in that spec.)

Cyclic aging is the other part and the research show us that small cycles is better. Also the lower down in cycle the SOC range, the better.

If you use full cycles, 100% to 0%, the battery would hold for 500-1000 cycles before it have lost 20% (this is constant cycling, without calendar aging).
This would be some 300.000km or 200.000 miles ( -ish).
The average driver will drive about (Roughly) 1/20 of this range each year.
This means cyclic aging will cost us about 1% per year, or less.

Calendar aging with 70-80% average charge would eat some 4-8% the first year depending on the average ambient temperature.

Instead of pointing to one specific research report, I recommend googling for lithium battery + calendar aging and or cyclic aging (or both). Try to stay away from battery universe for this as they actually have some myths in the material (otherwise, they are good). Use real research reports.

TL;DR: "More or less any lithium battery is more happy at low SOC."

Reactions: buckets0fun
To answer your question no it’s definitely not normal. There should be a buffer even beyond 0%/0mi so owners won’t get caught out with a dead HV battery like you did. That’s not a great customer experience and as you sad would make people not trust the car.

Most likely your BMS calibration is out of whack and/or battery cells are not balanced. That’s just further exacerbated by your driving and charging habits. People say the BMS doesn’t take calibration readings unless it’s asleep for a few hours. Since you drive so much the car is hardly ever asleep and the BMS doesn’t get a chance to take any readings at various SOC.

You can try the battery degradation test in the service menu mentioned above and the tips for cell balancing and BMS calibration listed on several websites. Might even need to do it a few times. It will require a lot of downtime of the car to go through those procedures though so unless you have another car to use you might not be able to do it.

Have you contacted service to see what they have to say?

Thank you. Yes, I drive a lot but it's not every day, I might go for up to 3 days without driving a long distance, it's very variable. Since reading the advice on this thread I'm letting the car sit at lower SOCs without being plugged in, currently at 62%. Will be doing the degradation test at some point this week. I have a service appointment for March 8th however it's unclear if that will yield anything of value.

Yes I contacted Tesla support and the response was as follows:
Tesla Vehicle Support here. We see your concerns with the car having a complete discharge still showing miles. Please be advised the range of miles on your car is an estimate amount of how much is left. That estimate amount will factor on how the car is being driven, conditions of elements as well. Please keep your state of charge between 20-80% at all times. Allowing the car to run too low on charge and complete discharge will cause severe battery health and ill perform for you. Please advise that you have received this information. Thank you have a great day.

The battery is in good health still at this point on the car.

I've found some of the responses here more helpful and accurate vs their response. When she said the displayed range factors in driving habits and weather, she lost a bit of credibility.

I used to think this but then I was corrected. The HV battery is happiest at low states of charge. The problem with going down to zero is it can harm your low voltage battery, but that may be less of an issue if it is Li-ion.

There are many posts about this here. For example:

TL;DR: "More or less any lithium battery is more happy at low SOC."
Interesting, thanks for pointing this out. I'm going to reserve judgment as this seems to be heavily debated.

It's worthwhile to note that Tesla's manual is consistent with what you said about the LV battery getting damaged if the HV battery goes to 0%. It's also noteworthy that Tesla does not explicitly say the HV battery gets damaged at 0%. See below and here is the source: Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Screenshot 2023-02-28 234211.png

• Helpful
Reactions: chobra
Kyle from Out of Spec Reviews has well over 120,000mi on his Model 3 now, and runs it to near 0% every time he goes on a road trip, multiple times. His battery is still fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the battery, it's impractical not to use your battery below 20% SoC. You can safely use the range you paid for as long as you're smart about it.

100%, or 1% - as long as you're driving the car and not storing it at those SoCs, the battery will be fine. People treat these batteries as if they're made of glass sometimes, and they're not. Just don't hammer the car when the SoC is low.

When it comes to Teslas, nothing matters. People abuse these batteries and they still come back for more. How many "I supercharged exclusively for x0,000 miles" threads have we seen and the degradation is still minimal?

Last edited:

Battery issues like this aren't generally seen in the short-term. They are basically life shortening events. i.e. Many people smoke and don't see harmful benefits for all their life, until they don't exist anymore.

During the time I was renting our MY, there was this one renter that did not return the car and we ended up going to get it. The car was sitting for a while at 0%. There's a lot to the story but when the flatbed arrived, the car drove normal showed no errors as you were showing. When we arrived at the Super Charger, it took a while before the amps came up. It sat at 0 for a good bit. Bjørn has some interesting videos where he drives to 0 and sees how far you can still drive. I'm thinking there is a good buffer on the 3/Y.
My advise is to place a service ticket to ensure there are no underlying complications associated with the HV battery. There's more examples of running down to 0 without the car stopping.

Battery issues like this aren't generally seen in the short-term. They are basically life shortening events. i.e. Many people smoke and don't see harmful benefits for all their life, until they don't exist anymore.
And 10 years down the road, does it even matter for the first owner?

People go crazy with PPF, 3,000 mile oil changes, and baby their car, only to trade it in or total it within the first 5 years. Enjoying the car should be top priority, use it how it fits your lifestyle, and don't stress over this small stuff.

@Evolutis I haven't seen one of these threads in a while, but I am a longtimer, and there is a lot of history on these. For example:

I do have a few bits of history and thoughts on this.

I was following the forums in 2012 and 2013 and bought my car in January 2014. During the first year or two of the Model S software versions, there was intentionally some driving buffer below 0. Some owners experimented to find out EXACTLY how many miles that was and then proudly told people on the forum EXACTLY how many it was so they could use it (stupidly exact numbers like 23). That was a terrible idea for two reasons. Determining energy in a large multi-cell battery pack just can't be that precise. Secondly, in a further software revision around 5.x, Tesla switched it so that they moved more of that energy up into the usable area above 0 on the display, and ZERO REALLY WAS ZERO. There was no driving buffer below 0 anymore! But people kept repeating this tribal knowledge on the forum, and people started getting caught with shut downs with 3 or 4 miles left, because they thought there were supposed to be 20+ below 0.

Most of the newer cars I think are set up to try to have a little below 0, but please don't count on it.

It's hard to have precision on the bottom end of a battery measurement. If you look at a graph of the voltage on Y axis versus total state of charge on the X axis, it's really flat voltage through most of the middle, but the voltage drops off really steeply on the last few percent before 0%. So it can be kind of twitchy, and the voltage can fall off pretty fast sometimes in that last few %. And expecting correct 1 or 2 % accuracy levels in anything is a challenging demand.

I will say that the cases we usually saw this were mostly higher mileage cars at least a few years old, where things had longer time for something to get out of balance. I'm a little surprised to see this in a 2022 car that's so new.

I consider that way too risky, since I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of getting my car towed, when it is so much easier just to slow my cruise control down by a few mph on the previous hour or half hour of the drive to make sure my arrival target is not getting much below 10%. I would consider that a personal failure of my planning if I got to 3%, and I would deserve to get hit with a shutdown as consequence.

@Evolutis said:

Tesla Forum boilerplate range.JPG

This text from tesla is probably stored as a boilerplate response somewhere, and they just copy / paste it to people because they probably answer a dozen or more "Range" questions a day. I dont know, but would not be surprised in the slightest if every single service center had at least 5 questions on the topic of "Range" and "why is my car not getting its range?"

Note that I realize thats not exactly what you are asking. Even though thats the case, I am betting thats what whomever sent that response to you read it as, and simply copy / pasted one of their few stock "range" response boilerplates.

Doesnt make it "right" but I doubt they even looked at any logs for your car, for example.

In any case, you are probably better off calculating 10 miles as 0, like I believe you said somewhere else in this thread.

Note that I realize thats not exactly what you are asking. Even though thats the case, I am betting thats what whomever sent that response to you read it as, and simply copy / pasted one of their few stock "range" response boilerplates.
At the investor call today, Tesla said that they use AI to automatically triage, respond to, and order parts for ~33% of service requests. So, it is possible that a person wasn't even involved in that response.

I worked on grid storage battery designs for several years. I was not involved, but watched from the next cubicle, for 18 ish months while the BMS engineers debated and tested hundreds of iterations of algorithms to determine SOC of the systems.

It was a total mess. So many variables like temperature, cell imbalance, discharge rate, make it amazingly difficult to pin down. As they stack up racks of modules, it gets even harder to know what the hell is going on. They often couldn't agree on what they were even measuring, how to average the readings, how often to sample them, how to predict and filter smaller swings in voltage, just crazy complicated.

Customer contracts depended on it, warranties accounted for it, it was nuts.

They drank a lot after work.

I worked on grid storage battery designs for several years. I was not involved, but watched from the next cubicle, for 18 ish months while the BMS engineers debated and tested hundreds of iterations of algorithms to determine SOC of the systems.

It was a total mess. So many variables like temperature, cell imbalance, discharge rate, make it amazingly difficult to pin down. As they stack up racks of modules, it gets even harder to know what the hell is going on. They often couldn't agree on what they were even measuring, how to average the readings, how often to sample them, how to predict and filter smaller swings in voltage, just crazy complicated.

Customer contracts depended on it, warranties accounted for it, it was nuts.

They drank a lot after work.

Yes BMS gives you an extremely educated guess of current state.

But future state guesses depend on how well you know what is going to happen in the future. That's crystal ball stuff

Sorry that happened but it's really better for the battery to stay within 10% to 90% always, plus you have a buffer in case there is a detour or for other reasons. Occasionally going a little bit lower than 10%, like to 7% is fine, but with the number of Superchargers available now, there should be no reason. There are also a lot of J1772 Level 2 chargers available and you can just use the adapter to plug-in.

That being said, I think you should schedule an appointment in the Tesla app and mention that the car shut down with 7 miles of range remaining. I think it should be able to go to 0 miles as others have indicated. May be the 7 miles is actually 0 and it just needs to be recalibrated by Tesla to say that (or they can walk you through how to do that using the app/call).

I think OP is still waiting to perform a BMS calibration at various states of charge before bringing the car in again. Tesla won't even schedule an appt because it is running within their tolerances.

I think this is easily correctable once the battery can get an idea of its capacity at 10%, 20%, 50% etc. overnight a few times.
1. I'm currently running BMS calibration, currently at 52%, haven't charged in a few days.
2. Once I get down to a low SOC say 20% or so I will run a battery health test from the service menu.
3. I have a service appointment set for March 8.