Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery Failed After 2 Years.. Months at Service Station?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2 year old Tesla P100D had a complete HV battery failure that needs to be replaced. It was towed to a Tesla service station several weeks ago and there’s still no update if an HV battery has been ordered.

How long does this process usually take? I’ve heard some reports of HV battery replacement taking months??

My 2 year old Tesla P100D had a complete HV battery failure that needs to be replaced. It was towed to a Tesla service station several weeks ago and there’s still no update if an HV battery has been ordered.

How long does this process usually take? I’ve heard some reports of HV battery replacement taking months??
Probably months. What does Tesla say?

They are the only ones who can really give you an answer.

Tesla was providing loaner earlier when sales volumes were low. Now with high sales volumes things have become worse. I was at the Tesla body shop ( owned by Tesla in the Bay Area) and one of the guys told me that spare parts availability is delaying repairs.

Car has now been at the Tesla service center almost 2 months. I did get a loaner car. They literally have NO estimated date on ordering the HV battery. Apparently it could be many more months! This is absolutely ridiculous, and I will no longer be recommening Tesla to any of my family or friends. The worst part is this is a $140k 2019 P100D that’s been perfectly garage kept. It’s been sitting UNCOVERED in the Florida sun and rain for 2 months. I’m so frustrated by this situation and with Tesla.

Car has now been at the Tesla service center almost 2 months. I did get a loaner car. They literally have NO estimated date on ordering the HV battery. Apparently it could be many more months! This is absolutely ridiculous, and I will no longer be recommening Tesla to any of my family or friends. The worst part is this is a $140k 2019 P100D that’s been perfectly garage kept. It’s been sitting UNCOVERED in the Florida sun and rain for 2 months. I’m so frustrated by this situation and with Tesla.
I’m in the same situation. Can you provide an update? I have a 2019 performance model s raven with 23k miles that suddenly failed after unplugging from a supercharger. Tesla towed it and service manager informed me it would be about a month so 2022 January before they replace it with a remanufactured pack. He says reman packs are good as new as they only reuse the case and all the cells are brand new. they didnt have loaners so they set me up with An Audi q3.

my car is also sitting outside unprotected although they told me they would move it inside.

I’m in the same situation. Can you provide an update? I have a 2019 performance model s raven with 23k miles that suddenly failed after unplugging from a supercharger. Tesla towed it and service manager informed me it would be about a month so 2022 January before they replace it with a remanufactured pack. He says reman packs are good as new as they only reuse the case and all the cells are brand new. they didnt have loaners so they set me up with An Audi q3.

my car is also sitting outside unprotected although they told me they would move it inside.
I did finally get my car returned after approx. 9 weeks or so. Rough experience with the service center as they were unable to provide updates. From what I understand, they don’t have HV batteries due to “supply chain issues” (I actually don’t believe them - since they are continuing to manufacture cars.. and lose money when they replace an HV battery under warranty so they make it less of a priority).

I’ve personally told many of my friends and family to no longer consider purchasing a Tesla due to my service center experience and 9 weeks without my car.

I was also disappointed as I mentioned that my garage kept car was sitting in the FL Sun and rain for 9 weeks.

The nuance I would bring, which doesn't help you in any way, is that they do have batteries but they are all "accounted for" for new cars, there are probably none allocated for repairs. Put that on being too successful and selling cars 6-9months of production in advance.
With that said, do the new cars use the same battery that your P100D used? I'm under the impression that they redesigned the S and X and they might be using different packs? IF that is true, they might indeed be very low on such packs.

I am also in the same boat as you guys with a 2019 raven @ 65k miles, heard click at sc. Then got a bunch of diagnostics high voltage detected. Drove to the next supercharger 120 miles then the car wanted to shut down luckily I was near service Center But three hours from home. I was told quickly that I would need a new battery.Just got my car back from two months for a front motor replacement.Service center caused motor failure while fixing the shutter issue changing front axles. So will I get a new battery or refurbished? Will range increase from the 328?

Remember, your car's warranties are extended for the amount of time your car is at a service center for warranty repairs. So if your Tesla was being repaired for 9 weeks, that's 9 weeks you get added to the time limit for your bumper-to-bumper and powertrain warranties.
I've never heard of such a thing, and there is nothing in the warranty document that states that. Do you have a reference to where that is granted/required?

• Disagree
Reactions: CarlThompson
My 10/2018 S 100D is in for battery replacement, just about 63k miles on the car. No ETA. Gave me an Enterprize loaner, and I had my enterprise rep track me down an EV, a Polestar 2. Beats paying for gas, but I'd prefer the S back.
Any news on your battery ETA? I’m still waiting and they put it out another week until January 28. With no ETA for battery confirmed. Also did you get the newest battery BTXB in the refreshed X?

Any news on your battery ETA? I’m still waiting and they put it out another week until January 28. With no ETA for battery confirmed. Also did you get the newest battery BTXB in the refreshed X?
No news for me, I went down to the service center the other day to ask them to charge the car before my 12v battery dies. I assume they either unplugged the HV disconnect or disabled my access, as the car is no longer showing me the charge level changing. I am at 31 days now, ETA still says January 31st for estimated completion.