TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HV Battery/Loaner pack

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Max*, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Max*

Max* Charging

So my car threw a bunch of messages, after calling roadside they said if the car is driveable I can carefully drive it to the service center (which I did). Seems there's something wrong with the HV pack and they need to ship the battery to CA and install a loaner pack in my car (I have a loaner car for now, while we wait for the loaner pack.)

'15 70D, 60k miles on the ODO

20180706_074503 - Copy.jpg

Anyone have any recent experience/updates as to how long it takes? Last thread I saw was from last year, and people had loaner packs for 6months to over a year.

2. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

You might actually get a new pack see this thread: Most Superchargers Visited

Bighorn, a frequent driver, is getting a new pack after having a similar experience to yours. Good luck and keep us posted on the repair, we're interested in how it goes and what happens to your car

3. JasonA-EV

JasonA-EV Member

Did you ever use TMspy or another program to look at your pack’s kWh? My 70d has been doing great but I treat it well and keep it in the sweet zone most of the time (30-80%).

But lately I’ve seen a module getting weak and not coming up all the way with the rest of them.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

With P85D, the car refused to start at one point. Skipping a few of the details after that, the conclusion was "unusually high voltage" reported by one of the modules. Tesla gave me a loaner pack so they could have engineering take a look. Two days later they said "keep the new pack". My original pack must have been really interesting to engineering. :)

• Funny x 1
  5. Max*

Max* Charging

I'll take a look at that thread, thanks.

I do road trip a lot.... out of my 60k miles, I'd estimate that probably half are supercharged away from home.

I have not used it. And I don't baby it. I've charged to 100% many times, and I've had it down to single digits.There were no symptoms either. Just poof.

The car charged to 206-208mi at 90% (new it was 214mi at 90%). And about 230 miles at 100% (new was supposed to be 240). About 3-4% degradation in 3 years, not bad.

Hah, but I'm sure that was a while back when the P85D was still new. The 70kwh battery is no longer even an option. I don't see them giving me a new pack, but who knows.

• Informative x 1
  6. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Well people that have had the 85 pack fail in their P85 have had 90 kWh packs supplied as replacements and the car was re-badge to be a P90 which Tesla never made...

So you might get a 75 kWh pack. (Which they could software limit to 70 kWh since they actually did that.)

• Informative x 1
  7. David99

David99 Active Member

I remember another discussion here where someone got a loaner battery while his was being repaired. He had it for 8 month and was still waiting.

• Like x 1
  8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It would be interesting to see this happen with a Sig... :)

9. Max*

Max* Charging

Got my car back. Loaner battery (I think it's a 70kwh, not a 75kwh, based on charge).

They said mine will be repaired and send back, eventually.

• Informative x 1
  10. KaptinPlanet

KaptinPlanet Member

Should check the battery label by the right front wheel. I have an S70D and I was curious what Tesla would do if my battery ever failed, always just assumed they'd put a 75 battery and perhaps limit it to 70

11. Max*

Max* Charging

I need to take a better shot, can't see what it is

Attached Files:

12. Evoforce

Evoforce Member

It took well over a month to get a loaner pack. I have now had that pack about a year... So I consider it as I am driving on their dime! No rush to get mine back.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. KaptinPlanet

KaptinPlanet Member

According to part number apprears to be a 70 battery 3rd revision.

Possible they had it laying around somewhere. Don't think Tesla makes the 70 anymore but who knows.

• Helpful x 1