Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery/Loaner pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
So my car threw a bunch of messages, after calling roadside they said if the car is driveable I can carefully drive it to the service center (which I did). Seems there's something wrong with the HV pack and they need to ship the battery to CA and install a loaner pack in my car (I have a loaner car for now, while we wait for the loaner pack.)

'15 70D, 60k miles on the ODO

20180706_074503 - Copy.jpg

Anyone have any recent experience/updates as to how long it takes? Last thread I saw was from last year, and people had loaner packs for 6months to over a year.

Did you ever use TMspy or another program to look at your pack’s kWh? My 70d has been doing great but I treat it well and keep it in the sweet zone most of the time (30-80%).

But lately I’ve seen a module getting weak and not coming up all the way with the rest of them.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

With P85D, the car refused to start at one point. Skipping a few of the details after that, the conclusion was "unusually high voltage" reported by one of the modules. Tesla gave me a loaner pack so they could have engineering take a look. Two days later they said "keep the new pack". My original pack must have been really interesting to engineering. :)

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
You might actually get a new pack see this thread: Most Superchargers Visited

Bighorn, a frequent driver, is getting a new pack after having a similar experience to yours. Good luck and keep us posted on the repair, we're interested in how it goes and what happens to your car
I'll take a look at that thread, thanks.

I do road trip a lot.... out of my 60k miles, I'd estimate that probably half are supercharged away from home.

Did you ever use TMspy or another program to look at your pack’s kWh? My 70d has been doing great but I treat it well and keep it in the sweet zone most of the time (30-80%).

But lately I’ve seen a module getting weak and not coming up all the way with the rest of them.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!
I have not used it. And I don't baby it. I've charged to 100% many times, and I've had it down to single digits.There were no symptoms either. Just poof.

The car charged to 206-208mi at 90% (new it was 214mi at 90%). And about 230 miles at 100% (new was supposed to be 240). About 3-4% degradation in 3 years, not bad.

With P85D, the car refused to start at one point. Skipping a few of the details after that, the conclusion was "unusually high voltage" reported by one of the modules. Tesla gave me a loaner pack so they could have engineering take a look. Two days later they said "keep the new pack". My original pack must have been really interesting to engineering. :)
Hah, but I'm sure that was a while back when the P85D was still new. The 70kwh battery is no longer even an option. I don't see them giving me a new pack, but who knows.

• Informative
Reactions: JasonA-EV
The 70kwh battery is no longer even an option. I don't see them giving me a new pack, but who knows.

Well people that have had the 85 pack fail in their P85 have had 90 kWh packs supplied as replacements and the car was re-badge to be a P90 which Tesla never made...

So you might get a 75 kWh pack. (Which they could software limit to 70 kWh since they actually did that.)

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
Well people that have had the 85 pack fail in their P85 have had 90 kWh packs supplied as replacements and the car was re-badge to be a P90 which Tesla never made...

So you might get a 75 kWh pack. (Which they could software limit to 70 kWh since they actually did that.)
It would be interesting to see this happen with a Sig... :)

I Hope tesla has battery packs avail to buy in 8-12 years when possible battery issues come up for some. I hope they have like a bunch in stock ready to go if anyone needs them cause thats the weakpoint of the car overall really and once out of warranty i bet a bunch of people will consider new battery packs vs a new car if there is ever major battery issues.
If on the other hand your battery is failing out of warranty and tesla says no new battery avail or its a 6 month to a year wait that would really be aweful.

I've had a loaner pack now for 2.5 years and no end in sight. Tesla Montreal has no clue what to do with my case. I have no information still after countless inquiries.
I am in the same position and I am about to contact Tesla about it. What procedure did you use to contact them? My loaner battery is suffering both voltage capping and charge speed limiting. I want them to take their defective loaner and give me back a better battery.