Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC became inoperable today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at the invoice from the trip to the SvC (don't have the car back yet), I also had the issue with the switched condenser lines:

Performed inspection and verified that pipes to A/C condenser are in fact switched. Discharged system of refrigerant. Switched A/C lines and verified that all O-rings are intact. Performed vacuum on system with a leak test. Vehicle passed the leak test. Charged system back to specifications, and verified that system is blowing cold.

What I love about Tesla Service: while they took it on the test drive, they noticed a rattle in one of the door panels (nothing I had noticed) and took it upon themselves to fix it.

No final update but my X was dropped off five days ago and I've been informed that the compressor has failed and was leaking Freon. Parts pending arrival at the SC. I'll update this thread when I have the car back and have the full story.

No final update but my X was dropped off five days ago and I've been informed that the compressor has failed and was leaking Freon. Parts pending arrival at the SC. I'll update this thread when I have the car back and have the full story.

Sorry to hear that your compressor has failed, but the way I would look at it is that you are getting a *new* part and hopefully with have much better longevity with this fix than say if they just topped off the refrigerant and let you go a few while longer before the A/C isn't cold anymore... so I'm going to drop off my X tomorrow and we'll see how it goes.

Sorry to hear that your compressor has failed, but the way I would look at it is that you are getting a *new* part and hopefully with have much better longevity with this fix than say if they just topped off the refrigerant and let you go a few while longer before the A/C isn't cold anymore... so I'm going to drop off my X tomorrow and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your comments. The only reason I'm not in complete agreement with your view is that the car was exactly 2 weeks old when I started having problems. Perhaps if I was getting a new compressor for a car nearing the end of warranty coverage I'd be celebrating a bit more. And as for adding freon to a leaky compressor--that wouldn't even have been a competent response. That said, I'm hoping you're facing a less serious scenario.

Update (bad news): Parts still not in sight. Looks like this will be a 3-week+ service call. Model S P85 is nice, but X is sorely missed.
Now the good news: SC customer service has been fantastic. Intelligent, communicative, transparent. They're even going so far as to loan me a Model X from the marketing side to salvage a 4-day trip with kids to Orlando, even though I didn't ask. Impressive, IMO.

I'll note here for the Tesla detractors (and there seem to be plenty) that I've previously had similarly bad luck twice with compressors failing (within the first two months of ownership) on a previously owned new Acura MDX and BMW 535i. So maybe it's me. Also, the quality of the service experience has been far better than anything I've experienced in the past.

Update (bad news): Parts still not in sight. Looks like this will be a 3-week+ service call. Model S P85 is nice, but X is sorely missed.
Now the good news: SC customer service has been fantastic. Intelligent, communicative, transparent. They're even going so far as to loan me a Model X from the marketing side to salvage a 4-day trip with kids to Orlando, even though I didn't ask. Impressive, IMO.
Nice. I thought about asking for that when our X went in. Our family simply cannot fit in an S, unless it has rear facing seats (only one of my SC's loaners has them, and it was already out; they rented me an Audi Q7 instead).

Reactions: ksquared
Thanks for your comments. The only reason I'm not in complete agreement with your view is that the car was exactly 2 weeks old when I started having problems. Perhaps if I was getting a new compressor for a car nearing the end of warranty coverage I'd be celebrating a bit more. And as for adding freon to a leaky compressor--that wouldn't even have been a competent response. That said, I'm hoping you're facing a less serious scenario.

I'll note here for the Tesla detractors (and there seem to be plenty) that I've previously had similarly bad luck twice with compressors failing (within the first two months of ownership) on a previously owned new Acura MDX and BMW 535i. So maybe it's me. Also, the quality of the service experience has been far better than anything I've experienced in the past.

The diagnosis for my A/C problems has been confirmed to be crossed lines. The SC actually told me my VIN (34xx) is apparently "in the range" of vehicles that could have crossed lines. When I asked what exactly is that range... they could not tell me. Not sure if they even know since they were looking at only my vehicle. I don't think there is a public TSB about this issue, at least one doesn't exist on the NHTSA website. Neither is there one for my broken door latch and motor.

Though I am relieved to know that my lines were indeed crossed, it still worries me greatly that the A/C did work, albeit not well since delivery... I only have 1200 miles on it and in the past two months, and I was out of town for 3 of those week. Within that time, in particular the last 3 weeks, the A/C rapidly performed worse and worse despite the weather getting cooler and then just started blowing warm/hot air.
So I strongly believe (in my case) that at the very least, the crossed lines (maybe high/low side at condenser) caused failures down the line, perhaps to seals causing a refrigerant leak. That's the best case, and worse case the compressor has been damaged or is just gone.

I am glad to hear that you have been having such a great experience at your SC, sounds like they are really looking into your case and not just applying band-aid fixes. I have questioned my SC to look into possible damage to the A/C system elsewhere due to the crossed lines from the factory. I don't want to go back a few weeks from now for the same issue again!

Reactions: ksquared
Lol. But is the Disney one named after my tiny town, or the much larger one by the same name in New York?

(I was curious; Wikipedia says the latter is indeed correct)

Very good question--from my vantage (having lived in many parts of this great country) it looks like neither Utah nor NY! But pastoral--at least as much as that is possible in an overpriced resort at a massive theme park. Kids are happy, though, which is what matters.

There are a number of X's including mine that had two lines crossed going into the compressor. My biggest compliant was that the car sounded like a jet engine with the fan at the front going crazy. My AC did work... so I thought. The car was so loud that it's embarrassing. After a number of complaints to the SC with the response that it is working as designed I saw a thread here about the issue. Finally someone got their noise issue fixed by having the lines corrected the noise level was totally acceptable/normal. I told my SC and they fixed the problem. When we drive down the street it does not sound like a jet approaching. A side benefit is the AC system works better than before. If your AC is having issues cooling the car I'd recommend having these lines examined to see if it was installed correctly.

Coincidentally my wife was driving the other day and saw another X right next to her. The window was down and she heard the jet engine of the other X as loud as can be. She was going to tell the driver that it is not normal and can be fixed, but the light turned green. Tesla really needs to track down all of the X's with this problem and get it fixed. It is really bad PR to have an electric car literally be the loudest car on the road!

I just picked my car up Friday, and this weekend we had record hot temperatures here near Philadelphia (98+ with high humidity). When fully on, the AC when standing outside our MX is louder than our central AC unit for our house.

Based on this thread, it sounds like I need to be calling service. Ugh.

I just picked my car up Friday, and this weekend we had record hot temperatures here near Philadelphia (98+ with high humidity). When fully on, the AC when standing outside our MX is louder than our central AC unit for our house.

Based on this thread, it sounds like I need to be calling service. Ugh.
Not necessarily. Don't fret. As long as the A/C is cooling well inside, the outside fans can be pretty loud even after they did my repair when I started this thread.
The fans can sound like a jet.
I'm fairly certain they did not swap the lines except on early vins such as our 90D, Vin 1985

Not necessarily. Don't fret. As long as the A/C is cooling well inside, the outside fans can be pretty loud even after they did my repair when I started this thread.
The fans can sound like a jet.
I'm fairly certain they did not swap the lines except on early vins such as our 90D, Vin 1985

Well my VIN is 34xx, so still early but not that low either. It appears to be a range of dates, rather than VINs... likely whoever installed the lines backwards has been "re-trained." My build date is April 2016.

Happy to report that my A/C issues have been resolved (hopefully for the long run)! As previously stated, my lines were indeed crossed, the error was corrected and the only detrimental affect to the A/C system apparently was the need to replace the desiccant bag, which makes sense since the system had to be purged and exposed to atm before re-vacuuming and charging.

The difference is rather amazing... rather the A/C system just works and does not struggle and no more crazy loud A/C fan. I picked it up yesterday afternoon and temps were in the mid-80s with high humidity. I can't believe I just accepted it at first!

The SC was also very professional at handling the issue. There was the unavoidable wait to get into the shop, but at least I had an electric loaner. The staff were all very friendly, open, and engaging, though I did notice some apprehension at first... that is likely for a whole other reason that's not relevant to this thread. There are still a couple outstanding issues that are minor that I need to go back to the SC to address, but with this recent excellent experience, I myself no longer feel apprehensive about it.

There are two known issues with the Model X A/C that the service center should check. Here's what they wrote in the service notes.

Corrections: Cabin HVAC General Diagnosis
This MX was flagged as having High Refrigerant Discharger Pressure
(THC_w0253_rfrgDisPressHi warning). The discharge pressure can be high if the A/C
condenser lines weren't installed correctly.
Verified A/C lines are installed incorrectly at Condenser. Lines need to be swapped so
that the Compressor Discharge Line is mounted on the top of Condenser.
Corrections: Condenser
Removed and replaced condenser. Recharged AC system
Part Quantity
MX COOLING FAN MODULE (1031401-00-E) 1
I've had the obligatory 'sorry we're cooling the battery, so you are going to be hot' message while supercharging in near 100 degree heat. I get this is 'normal'.

But Friday it was over 100 degrees in the San Fernando Valley. No message that it needed to cool the battery and strangely, the A/C would start to blow crazy hot (almost suffocating) air whenever the car stopped at a light or in traffic. I had to shut off the air and open the window whenever the car stopped it was so bad. When it was moving, it seemed to cool somewhat, but still not great.

Worked OK today, but it was not as hot.

Am wondering about the less cooling the hotter it is theory. Tesla is pulling logs.Any ideas?

Logs didn't show anything, but I finally convinced TM to do a courtesy check of my A/C after being told everything seemed normal. Sure enough, compressor lines were reversed. VIN #13XX. Only wish this had gotten resolved before the summer was nearly over...

Last edited: