TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HW 2.5 or 2.1?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by aleagle, Aug 10, 2017.

1. aleagle

aleagle Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Yorba Linda, CA USA
    I have been reading about a new HW 2.5 (or 2.1) update. Has anyone else read or heard anything about this new update?
  2. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Aug 12, 2016
    uniontown PA
    Seems to be mostly a update of the computational hardware that will almost certainly be upgradeable for “older” ap2 cars. No word if it features the passenger facing camera that the 3 does.
  3. Troy

Troy Banned

Aug 24, 2015
    #3 Troy, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Hi. The most important quote I have read about this topic is the bold section below:
    In other words, Tesla thinks upgrading AP2.0 cars to AP2.5 is unlikely to be necessary to achieve twice the safety level of an average human driver.

By the way, to give a little more perspective, I have looked into the sales numbers and I can tell you the following:
    • Tesla made 48,366 cars with no Autopilot until 19 Sep 2014.
    • They made 119,326 cars with AP1.0 until 16 Oct 2016,
    • 73,270 cars with AP2.0 until 28 Jul 2017, and
    • by the end of this year, there will be 77,020 AP2.5 cars. By mid-2018, this number will increase to 282,573.
    • Informative x 2
  4. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Nov 19, 2016
    Prawn Island, VC
    • Love x 1