Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, I never had AP1. Took delivery of my S75D AP2 with HW2.5 just a couple of weeks ago. AP has been trying to murder me that entire time and so far I'm winning that battle, but only by keeping my hands on the wheel and remaining vigilant.

I remember wondering whether it would be a 'feature' to scare the crap out of people once or twice when they first start using autopilot. It seems like that is a lot more effective at getting people to pay serious attention than the hands-on-the-wheel warnings are. It certainly is for me.

I've seen each iteration of AP on HW2 and its been a glacial pace of improvement. Don't hold your breath. Tesla has your money, they are not in a rush.

That being said, even Electrek, a fanboy site, is calling Tesla out on their slow rollout of EAP/FSD.

I'm not sure a single blurb talking about the pace is calling them out, but I guess it's progress...

Let's keep in mind, they are probably pausing our crap, so they can get M3 AEB before it goes to the general public this month. I suspect maybe next year we can expect some progress and maybe @lunitiks will start uncovering docs on HW3 with corner radars.....

Looks like Google will start its ride hailing self driving service without human drivers this month (per theinformation). Despite the fact many on here like @stopcrazypp and @JeffK think that Tesla is ahead by a factor of 2-3 years.

Shows you that the tesla narratives never meshes with real life.

We'll sh-t, they've also been doing it for pilot families in Phoenix for a few months now.

Looks like Google will start its ride hailing self driving service without human drivers this month (per theinformation). Despite the fact many on here like @stopcrazypp and @JeffK think that Tesla is ahead by a factor of 2-3 years.

Shows you that the tesla narratives never meshes with real life.

Yeah, despite all the Audi talk I do here, one must REALLY respect Google/Waymo as both the pioneers on self-driving, but also the pioneers of the Silicon Valley approach. They're sort of like Audi and Tesla combined, with none of the bad sides of either, on this. :)

Kudos.

Yeah, despite all the Audi talk I do here, one must REALLY respect Google/Waymo as both the pioneers on self-driving, but also the pioneers of the Silicon Valley approach. They're sort of like Audi and Tesla combined, with none of the bad sides of either, on this. :)

Kudos.

My concern over Waymo's solution is they rely on remote operators to take over if the car gets confused.

But, how long is the latency?

Now, this isn't to say I disagree with it. There really is no other way to get autonomous cars on the road in the short term than to do that. It's also extremely important from a society standpoint to get people used to autonomous cars.

But, I think it's a stop gap solution.

I don't believe that any truly autonomous car is possible without car to car communication, and intelligent roads.

If you don't have those two you've thrown away one of the biggest benefits of automation. That is to make the road part of the entire system. It also makes it way safer since the car doesn't have to see over a crest, or around the massive truck in front of it.

There also construction zones that can be easily programmed to tell the car exactly how to handle it. Heck they should do this for human drivers as well because sometimes they completely fail to communicate to human drivers what's going on. As an example last night I was driving north on I5, and I saw a flashing sign that said the 3 left lanes were closed ahead for construction. So I moved myself over, and everything was fine. Only a few miles later I entered into another construction zone and the sign said the left lane was closed ahead. So again I got myself over. But, then I noticed up just ahead the cones seemed to be going into my lane as if my lane was closed. So wtf? It didn't said 2 left lanes, Luckily there wasn't anyone next to me so I got over.

Intelligent roads is also a matter of efficiency. What's the point of autonomous driving if we can't take advantage of it? Where the cars can communicate to each other, and the stop lights can be intelligent. Where they communicate with other stop lights to improve efficiency.

I also find myself a bit longing every time I look at the Model S instrument cluster. I do because it shows me the lines which would be extremely useful in bad weather, glare, road construction when the lines are bad, etc. But, it doesn't. It just goes blank as if somehow as a human being I'm supposed to see the lines?

Humans do have a great ability to understand how other humans drive, and to react to situations before the unfold. But, humans also tend to make believe a lot. Where we go "oh, crap I can't see anything so I'm just going to slow down a bit and pray"..

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
My concern over Waymo's solution is they rely on remote operators to take over if the car gets confused.

But, how long is the latency?

Now, this isn't to say I disagree with it. There really is no other way to get autonomous cars on the road in the short term than to do that. It's also extremely important from a society standpoint to get people used to autonomous cars.

But, I think it's a stop gap solution.

I don't believe that any truly autonomous car is possible without car to car communication, and intelligent roads.

If you don't have those two you've thrown away one of the biggest benefits of automation. That is to make the road part of the entire system. It also makes it way safer since the car doesn't have to see over a crest, or around the massive truck in front of it.

There also construction zones that can be easily programmed to tell the car exactly how to handle it. Heck they should do this for human drivers as well because sometimes they completely fail to communicate to human drivers what's going on. As an example last night I was driving north on I5, and I saw a flashing sign that said the 3 left lanes were closed ahead for construction. So I moved myself over, and everything was fine. Only a few miles later I entered into another construction zone and the sign said the left lane was closed ahead. So again I got myself over. But, then I noticed up just ahead the cones seemed to be going into my lane as if my lane was closed. So wtf? It didn't said 2 left lanes, Luckily there wasn't anyone next to me so I got over.

Intelligent roads is also a matter of efficiency. What's the point of autonomous driving if we can't take advantage of it? Where the cars can communicate to each other, and the stop lights can be intelligent. Where they communicate with other stop lights to improve efficiency.

I also find myself a bit longing every time I look at the Model S instrument cluster. I do because it shows me the lines which would be extremely useful in bad weather, glare, road construction when the lines are bad, etc. But, it doesn't. It just goes blank as if somehow as a human being I'm supposed to see the lines?

Humans do have a great ability to understand how other humans drive, and to react to situations before the unfold. But, humans also tend to make believe a lot. Where we go "oh, crap I can't see anything so I'm just going to slow down a bit and pray"..

This is a great post because people actually think that in 3 months All Tesla will be Level 5 and others think by June 2018 they will all be level 5. Its the most delusional thing i have ever heard. Almost as good as the people who thought that 150,000 model 3 will be made in 2017 cause elon said so (while i warned them that Tesla would be lucky to even make 10k model 3s and was laughed at) and that the model 3 will self drive to their house after the AP2 announcement.

As someone said: "One of the most amazing things about Tesla is how Tesla fans manage to hold thoughts which are so patently false, against all types of evidence."

Tesla is literally a breed ground for myth after myth.

Not only is Waymo going live this fall, but you have people who actually think that a 3,000 mile highway demo with 10 miles of surface street is supposed to prove Tesla is the leader.

When in reality, if you are still doing highway demos now you are 5 years late! Get Rekt! You Already Lost!

Such facts such as the magnitude of highway driving vs suburb driving vs urban driving literally escape Tesla fans. Even the service Waymo is running in phoenix, though unimaginably more complicated than highway driving is nothing compared to urban driving in a city like SF.

Tesla fans will hate this, they will call me anti-Tesla but I'm only speaking the truth.

If you think that Tesla (and i know many of you by name who do) will have Level 5 cars that can do this by June 2018 then you are delusional.

While Tesla is struggling to match level 2 lane keeping and adaptive cruise control and panicking at highway autonomy. Guys like GM Cruise and tackling the difficult part of self driving. Actually self driving on the streets.

And no you don't win based on participation, this isn't middle school. You people think just because Tesla mounted a Nvidia card on their car and strapped acouple cameras they are now world leaders in SDC software? laughable.

This is what driving on the street looks like not the empty roads of interstate highways. (The predicted future path and multiple possible interactions of every person, car, and cyclist are calculated 10 times per second.)
1*7MQsnl5cQcOYTKuVyFiqng.png

Navigating a 6 way intersection with damaged non-functioning traffic lights
1*-QadGHKQlbk7E8SXhWR9Ew.gif

Over taking big trucks.

1*nyBv4DnUGLUivmijEHEnag.gif

Handling Human controlled construction zones

1*CNVCipNU0uD-7LaBn0GJkA.gif

1*2NCokxqVJnE1rUQ1ubNIkw.png

These are frequent occurrences in any densed urban city (per 1,000 miles)
1*68ObzFYwaEWlp0KA8B5yNg.png

Why testing self-driving cars in SF is challenging but necessary

Tesla leads in a sense that its final hardware design is done and sold to the public while others are still having all those sensors poking out. Some still have big, gigantic computers in the trunk.

Tesla leads in a sense that AP2 improves very quickly since its first release to first 1,000 owners in 12/31/2016.

It is true that other prototypes are much better current Tesla AP2. Waymo has been a leader in autonomous technology but like others, they are not released for public use.

It took AP1 one year to have its autosteer released so I expect AP2 will surpass it in 1 year.

Waymo's high definition maps are done by sending its own employees to do the work. Tesla leads in this kind of data collection job because it doesn't depend on a small numbers of employees to do the mapping but its entire owners' fleet since October 2014.

They don't say Waymo leads because the only lead they have is on prototypes. There are probably hundreds of self driving prototypes out there from various companies (even from more than a decade ago), but largely irrelevant if the timeline for public release is indefinite. The closest thing Waymo have to public release are the slow moving neighborhood vehicles (they are still controlled trials though), but those are much more limited in practical use (only work in certain geographic areas, very slow).

Tesla is the only one with a system in widespread consumer hands (although software only L2 at the moment). Maybe someone else will take the lead (for example GM's supercruise), but so far Tesla is still in the front.

You two can't actually believe these posts anymore do your..not in the face of mounting evidence?

Last edited:
You two can't actually believe these posts anymore do your..not in the face of mounting evidence?
This is all predicated on Tesla not being able to release level 4 or level 5 software on HW2 or HW2.5. If they do, then they will still be the first manufacturer to release a level 4 or level 5 production car. If they don't, then what you say applies. It's that simple.

Side point: cars used and owned by fleets (with tacked on sensors) are kind of a third category when talking in context to the original conversation. They aren't cars that a general consumer can just buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuri_G
This is all predicated on Tesla not being able to release level 4 or level 5 software on HW2 or HW2.5. If they do, then they will still be the first manufacturer to release a level 4 or level 5 production car. If they don't, then what you say applies. It's that simple.

Well. No.

If Tesla releases capable software years later, then they would not have been the first to release a Level 4/5 production car. Having just the hardware there does not make it so. They'd also have to be the first to release the software, which in theory could still happen, but in practice I have to side with @Bladerskb in expressing doubt over have monumental a task that is.

The reality is, Tesla is very late to the self-driving party. They made (so far) the greatest driver's aid in AP1, and shipped a 360 camera system with a fairly powerful computer strapped to it before others, but that is all. Their current driver's aid is not so great and their merits in the next steps are complete unknowns.

I do like the fact that my AP2 car has upgrade potential and I am sure it will improve, barring a company failure (which I don't believe in). But really, so many other companies have been tackling this issue so much longer and making steady behind the scenes progress... It is getting harder and harder to ignore @Bladerskb's point.

Last edited:
stopcrazypp said:
They don't say Waymo leads because the only lead they have is on prototypes. There are probably hundreds of self driving prototypes out there from various companies (even from more than a decade ago), but largely irrelevant if the timeline for public release is indefinite.

This is where, I think, you make your big mistake.

While I can see the argument that self-driving prototypes are irrelevant, because consumers can't actually use them, they are not irrelevant as predictors of where the first consumer-usable self-driving cars actually come from.

While Tesla has fiddled with Level 2 driver's aids and packing extra hardware on the cars that goes unused, and even before that other companies have been working on those hard problems for self-driving, i.e. the software.

This is one reason why I'm not ignoring Audi either. They have been working on this for a long time and yet their consumer release approach is very conservative (some might say laughably so and I wouldn't totally disagree). But in the labs they already do much better and have track-record to show for that...

Why do the labs matter? One day what is in the labs will come out to play. Like Waymo apparently now as a taxi service.

Because let's face it: Even with Tesla our "FSD" hopes are not really based on what Tesla has released to us. OK, AP1 was great, but it was just Level 2, and AP2 so far is very mixed bag. We've seen their video and we are hoping they are more advanced in the labs... and surely they are, to some unknown extent. But from what is known about the labs, others are even more so.

Now, I'll grant this, if history is any judge Tesla will release their product on the market in a more aggressive schedule and way than the competition. And they have the software-upgradeable hardware out there. They are skipping Lidar and 360 degree radar sensor fusion, which simplifies some things possibly (at cost of reliability). This will help them shorten their timeline, in some ways at least.

But will it be enough, if others have been preparing for that upcoming Day 1 for a decade in the labs?

What evidence? All I see in your post is the usual demoware and anti-Tesla sentiment.

What we know for a fact is that Waymo have a fleet of demo cars, and plans to start expanding their public testing this year with a "commercial launch".

(Curious: if a remote operator has to step in and help make a decision for a car, is this reported as a "disconnection"?)

As for "right" and "wrong", can we settle on "different" ? Nobody has cracked L5 yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuri_G and croman
(Curious: if a remote operator has to step in and help make a decision for a car, is this reported as a "disconnection"?)

As for "right" and "wrong", can we settle on "different" ? Nobody has cracked L5 yet.

Good question... a thought:

Perhaps it would not be a disconnection if the car simply drives to a safe place if its operational parameters are no longer met (i.e. it notices it has entered a blizzard and its sensors are getting clogged up).

If it simply freaks out and calls it quits, that I guess would be a disconnection... and that is something no Level 5 is allowed to do, really, though of course some catastrophic systems failure is always possible just like with humans...

Just pondering.

Comparing Tesla to Waymo or any of the other big boys is rather misguided, and this is an important point. Even Musk has never (afaik) said that Tesla's system (at least AP2/2.5) will be better than or even as good as Waymo's. What he has said, what he stresses pretty much every time asked about this, is that he believes that Tesla's system will achieve a "margin of safety" (whatever that means) at least "twice" as good as the "typical" human driver, under a limited but still-unspecified set of road conditions and environments. So twice as good as the typical human driver, and only in some unspecified conditions. That is a very low bar compared to the bar Waymo and its competitors are aiming for, which is closer to 10x as safe as a human driver under a wide range of conditions -- still not all conditions, but enough that you can run a profitable ride sharing business in an urban environment, which is a heck of a lot of difficult roads and conditions.

Think about this. Do you think regulators are going to approve a system which is only twice as safe as a typical human driver? How many people would such a system kill or injure every year? Too many -- it would be a PR and legal nightmare. I think I'm twice as safe as a typical human driver based on 25+ years of driving without an accident where I was at fault. And the Tesla system only aims to achieve this under limited (and again let me stress, still unspecified) conditions -- and that's what they're claiming. They don't have a track record of over-delivering on their claims.

So think of it this way: You are choosing which ride-sharing network to use, A or B. A is 5x more dangerous to ride in than B, and your choice of destinations is limited to only certain types of roads, so you'll have a walk an extra couple of blocks, or it might just give up in the middle of the drive when it encounters something it can't handle. Which do you choose? In this scenario, clearly, A is Tesla and B is Waymo, because if Tesla is 2x typical human safety and Waymo is 10x, then Tesla is 5x as dangerous as Waymo.

Waymo is not just playing in a different league than Tesla. They're playing a different sport.

I say this as a Tesla fan, a new Tesla owner, and a likely future Tesla owner. But I'm also a realist, and the fact is that comparisons between Tesla and Waymo are pointless. Compare Tesla's current offerings to the things that compete with those offerings -- Audi, Cadillac, etc. Waymo isn't on the list.

Waymo is not just playing in a different league than Tesla. They're playing a different sport.

I say this as a Tesla fan, a new Tesla owner, and a likely future Tesla owner. But I'm also a realist, and the fact is that comparisons between Tesla and Waymo are pointless. Compare Tesla's current offerings to the things that compete with those offerings -- Audi, Cadillac, etc. Waymo isn't on the list.

Good post. A couple of points:

1) Tesla placed themselves into the Waymo game with the Tesla Network talk. They set that expectation themselves... Elon also announced AP2 as Level 5 capable.

2) I'm not sure if Audi is even playing the same game as Tesla. Audi is looking at manufacturer-responsible, Level 3 and above self-driving, whereas Tesla talks of - as you say only twice as safe - and your insurer or you taking responsibility for crashes...

Tesla is still talking a lot more a driver's aid, than autonomous. Yet at the same time they are ralking autonomous beyond what Audi is talking (the Waymo level).

There certainly is a lot of discrepancy there to speculate on.