Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2: It's been a week. How many miles do you have on autosteer?

HW2: It's been a week. How many miles do you have on autosteer?

• <1 mile

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • 1-5 miles

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • 5-10 miles

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • 10-20 miles

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • >20 miles

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • ZERO

Votes: 15 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have done close to 20 miles, maybe more. Seattle 520 traffic and then Portland 405 traffic. In traffic, under 45 mph, auto steer works perfectly. I just ignore the dancing lines, flashing cars etc. on the display. If you just look at the way car drives, it is close to perfect. The steering wheel feels like it moves more than it needs to, but the car is stable all the way.

I have also tried taking some exits that connect one freeway to another. There is one big curve and the car had trouble taking that. It almost hit the wall on the left, but turned right and then bounced off the line on the right. I was so close to aborting it, but let it go for the sake of testing it. Not again :)

I haven't been able to engage AutoSteer once :( I've tried a variety of different roads, including a well lit highway driving under 45mph.

Have any of you been able to turn on AutoSteer on roads it wouldn't previously work on? Perhaps I need to drive the same road a couple more times?...

Poll's about to close tomorrow. Right now the average is 1 mile per week per car. So we're still at 40 weeks to get to 1 million miles of experience. Unlikely to change rate much until they lift the 45 MPH restriction.

Actually engaging autosteer has nothing to do with their testing and data gathering. The data is sent to them whether or not it is engaged.

I haven't been able to engage AutoSteer once :( I've tried a variety of different roads, including a well lit highway driving under 45mph.

Have any of you been able to turn on AutoSteer on roads it wouldn't previously work on? Perhaps I need to drive the same road a couple more times?...

Auto Steer will be available only on Interstates and toll roads ("limited access roads"). Divided highways don't count right now.

I'm taking it that it is Warsaw, Poland you are from?
Are Tesla official present i Poland? Because I'm am 99% sure that I saw a thread where somebody stated that this first roll out for HW2 is only working in those countries where Tesla are present.

I guess that they are more or less manual selecting which roads we can use AP2 on or not?

My first attempt was yesterday - 9PM on the FDR South (Manhattan). It was terrifying. Major hysteresis in the system. I had to take control several times when I was certain a collision was imminent. On the plus side, the TACC was really great - I got about 250 miles in without once touching the accelerator. Several false positives, but nothing scary.

Watching croman's video it appears there's no blind-spot warning? I see visibly cars must be to the side, but the in-dash display doesn't show the range sensors picking them up. Is there another method for blind spot assistance, or are we talking eyeballs here?

There is no blind spot warning at this time but the extended range ultrasonics work great to monitor traffic beside and adjacent to the car. I just ran it for a mile this morning and someone cut aggressively in (even with the 1 spacing setting the gap is at least 3 seconds and invites cars to cut in) and the system reacted nicely by slowing down without halting and continuing along. The only issue is that it hugs close to the passenger side line when in the furthest right lanes and veers but doesn't take exit ramps.

You can't auto lane change right now, so the operator must thoroughly blind spot check before changing lanes (it will disable autosteer).

My first attempt was yesterday - 9PM on the FDR South (Manhattan). It was terrifying. Major hysteresis in the system. I had to take control several times when I was certain a collision was imminent. On the plus side, the TACC was really great - I got about 250 miles in without once touching the accelerator. Several false positives, but nothing scary.

Definitely was not my experience with several autosteer trips so far. I found that, as @justg0 put it, if you ignore the IC wonkiness, the car itself drives great. Just look at my video. It's not like Chicago traffic is that much different than any other major city. It may seem like a crash is imminent but I think that's part of autosteer -- you've gotta let the car do its thing and just monitor everything. Even when people cut into my lane the car handled it and it used the ultrasonics to track each car alongside me. I do think it will be a lot nicer when the adjacent lanes appear and radar helps (as well as the other cameras which seem dormant). The system is brimming with potential and I can sense that Tesla is slowly unlocking the massive potential within.

Auto Steer has been working for me 30 mi. Yes going up exits. Shutting down, etc. Today cruise control was dsiabled. Reset thru steering wheel once and twice thru the screen. Called Tesla they are checking.

IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG

My cameras finally finished calibrating, and I got a chance to test out TACC + Autosteer around Los Angeles today. It's important to separate out the two. TACC is amazing, and I only had a small number of cases where it braked harder than I would have expected (since I'm used to regen braking). On the other hand, Autosteer feels like it needs significant refinement. The steering wheel kept rotating left and right (relatively minor), and I had to manually abort a few times since it seemed like it was going too close to the right hand lane (with cars on the side).

I just put on about 18 this morning and afternoon in Chicago traffic. I made a video of my way out of the Loop. This was my second time where I could engage it for longer than 5 seconds. I could only record 5 minutes but I had it on for about 7 (2 minutes before but I had to be very vigilant due to aggressive lane changing in Chicago).
I've used it about every day on the Kennedy outbound in the AM and inbound at night. I get about 5 miles each way between Harlem or so and around Addison. Works good though you wouldn't know it by looking at the lane lines!

Reactions: croman
Auto-steer has worked pretty well for me except one morning when I was driving toward the bright sun. The car was having trouble identifying the lanes as the contrast of the lines against the pavement was washed out in the sunlight. It tried to drive onto the shoulder of the road several times because it lost the lane marker. When driving in cloudy or dark conditions, or when facing away from the sun, it has worked very well and stays within the lanes nicely.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad