Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I have read on here, radar is disabled now on all the M3's. If this is incorrect, please let us know.
Pretty sure that's incorrect. I have a HW2.5 car, and have not gotten vision, and I'm pretty up to date. I believe this is because the whole point of HW3 is the ability to do more vision processing. If they could do full vision on HW2.5, it would also be able to run FSD also.

What are the benefits of getting HW3 over HW2.5 if you don't have FSD?
FSD visualizations, traffic chime if you have EAP, ability to subscribe to FSD on a monthly basis.

as noted, traffic light chimes and more visualizations (cartoons) come with HW3 vs 2.5.
Although folks here seem to bash the role of radar with HW3 vs 2.5, Tesla has a proven track record of developing software for the latest hardware and quietly allowing older hardware to plateau. (see MCU1 vs MCU2, AP1 vs AP2, etc..). That is enough for me to want the latest computer hardware at no cost

I want to thank the OP! Came on the forum looking for something else and happened to catch this thread in it's infancy.

I put in the service request to see what I would get for a quote. It went under "Other" for HW3 upgrade. They needed to contact me back after apps diagnostics could not find anything. Few days later I got a phone call that an appointment was made. Few days after I got the estimate and it was for $0. I watched this thread religiously as I was worried about a bait and switch and upon completion they would ask for the $1000.

Well after 9.5 hours at the Peabody, MA service station, my 2018 Model 3 with EAP was upgraded to HW3 at no cost. Thank you OP!

Attachments

• 1FDB1B80-9D34-4FDE-BD88-0C5AACD1C8B0.jpeg
    1FDB1B80-9D34-4FDE-BD88-0C5AACD1C8B0.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 151
I want to thank the OP! Came on the forum looking for something else and happened to catch this thread in it's infancy.

I put in the service request to see what I would get for a quote. It went under "Other" for HW3 upgrade. They needed to contact me back after apps diagnostics could not find anything. Few days later I got a phone call that an appointment was made. Few days after I got the estimate and it was for $0. I watched this thread religiously as I was worried about a bait and switch and upon completion they would ask for the $1000.

Well after 9.5 hours at the Peabody, MA service station, my 2018 Model 3 with EAP was upgraded to HW3 at no cost. Thank you OP!
Awesome to hear Bob - the entire intention of my post was to spread the word and hope some fellow owners could replicate my “luck”.

Enjoy HW3, for me the minor quality of life improvements are worth it (green light chime) and the whole HW2.5/radar v HW3.0/Tesla Vision is way overblown.

Reactions: gaswalla

Thanks for the update, I knew there had been several others that were going to try this.

Thanks, I had forgotten.
But to be pedantic: It isn't free because Tesla wants $1K from me to upgrade HW ;)
Also, I don't think it is "free" if you have a HW2 car- all of those cars either had EAP or nothing, right? It's only included if you have some sort of AP, and some cars don't have AP at all.

HW2.x cars that originally had nothing also had the opportunity to buy "basic" AP during the time EAP first stopped being sold- but yes in theory there's still some small # of cars with HW2.x that have no ADAS stuff because they refused to pay for any the entire time.

HW2.x cars that originally had nothing also had the opportunity to buy "basic" AP during the time EAP first stopped being sold- but yes in theory there's still some small # of cars with HW2.x that have no ADAS stuff because they refused to pay for any the entire time.

I was in that small # of cars with HW2.x but finally upgraded to AP during the $2K deal.

My understanding is this "deal" really won't do much for AP other than better rendering?

I was in that small # of cars with HW2.x but finally upgraded to AP during the $2K deal.

My understanding is this "deal" really won't do much for AP other than better rendering?

Today? Probably not.

Tomorrow it might well make a big difference even to basic AP owners if/when the "current" code goes single stack-- because HW3 owners would get the new stuff even for basic AP going forward, while HW2.x people would, like HW1 folks before them, basically get no further updates other than major bug fixes.

Reactions: Perscitus and Vol16