Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Install Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick answer: 5+ hours.
On 2020-02-17, and on a whim, I submitted my request to upgrade to HW3, since I bought the car with FSD. The robot texted me mobile appt., but I soon got a message that I'd need to bring it in. Later that day, they gave me an appt for 10 days later, the 27th. A few robo texts later I was told they'd have a loaner for me. Got there at opening, and was out door at 8:08 and in a P80D loaner. Got text that it would be done by end of day, but got another text that it was ready at 13:35. So that just shy of 5.5 hours. It took about 15 minutes of driving for cameras to be synced.
My car is a 2018 Model 3 RWD long range obtained in summer 2018 from Cincinnati.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
Got my install yesterday in Austin. Drove down from Weatherford for the install. 3hrs each way.

8:45AM—1PM which included a test drive by the tech.

I was on 2020.8.1 on HW2.5 and once upgraded I was back to 2020.4. I can confidently say that HW2.5 on 2020.8.1 has less lane swimming than HW3 on 2020.4. HW3 is notably better than HW2.5 when comparing both on 2020.4 but the swimming is still there, it’s just faster, smaller amplitude and smoother with HW3. Getting to drive on AP for 3 hours straight just before and just after the install gave me a ton of butt time to compare the two. I think this is a great result for all people who will be on HW2.5 indefinitely and helps confirm that there was something wrong with the 2019.40–2020.4 firmwares regarding properly damped lane centering.

I just received a text saying they could do my HW3 upgrade. Is this how any of you were contacted? Wanted to make sure it was legit because they were asking me to drop off my vehicle and leave my key in the box with the last 6 digits of my VIN taped to it.
It’s Tesla in Alpharetta, GA.

I just received a text saying they could do my HW3 upgrade. Is this how any of you were contacted? Wanted to make sure it was legit because they were asking me to drop off my vehicle and leave my key in the box with the last 6 digits of my VIN taped to it.
It’s Tesla in Alpharetta, GA.

I received a text message (and phone call) that the computer was available and that I should schedule service in the app. I was able to reply to that text message (I recognized the number from previous service appointments) so I felt comfortable with it. Tesla was having app issues at the time so I went down there and scheduled in person and speak with the manager about my app issues so I am not sure how the whole process goes when the app is working properly. When I dropped the car off at the service center I was greeted by the manager at the front door and we spoke briefly about how long it would take etc... I also had to get a loaner so he got that set up for me. It was a smooth process and I had a model S 85D for the day which was cool.

It seems like different service centers run things differently so I can't say for sure if that is legit or not. Lots of dealerships have overnight drop boxes and as long as you have a confirmed appointment in the app then that seems like a reasonable way to do things. Do you have a confirmed appointment in the app?

2.5 hours for me today on a 2018 build with electrical wiring rework required. That includes the time for them to do a test drive and change the air filter.

About 3 hours for me, with the same "electrical wiring rework" note on my invoice. They refused to do any other work for me, due to lack of staff, which was fine.

I also had a completely contactless experience. I dropped my car off in the parking lot, and could see them inside. Texted them and said I was there (after going and sitting in my wifes car who followed me there on the hour long drive in her car, because they only had uber credits and there was NO WAY i am getting in a ride share vehicle right now). I left the keycard in the car, turned off walk away lock, waited a minute for them to respond to my text saying they saw the car, and drove off.

They texted me 3 hours later saying it was done, and my wife and I got back in her car, drove the hour back down there to get it, and I signed the invoice digitally.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
It took the Austin SC just under a day to do my car, but they also did a battery contactor replacement and diagnostic.
Mine is an early car so they also drain/bled the water-cooling for the computer.
I got it back the following day all calibrated and ready to go.
AP is noticeably better on HW3
Of course I enabled the new visualizations, but in the end they don't do anything more than give you an idea of what it will do when they roll out traffic light and stop sign recognition.

I am about to schedule my HW3 upgrade service appointment, but I have an odd situation. When I received my standard dual motor long range, the software on the car and its speed all indicated that is has the performance software: I have the red underline on the screen, "sport" as a driving option, red underline on the app, etc., all the things consistent with it being a performance version. And it drives like a performance version.

Will upgrading to HW3 cause me to lose this performance version of the software they seem to have loaded on to the car?

I am about to schedule my HW3 upgrade service appointment, but I have an odd situation. When I received my standard dual motor long range, the software on the car and its speed all indicated that is has the performance software: I have the red underline on the screen, "sport" as a driving option, red underline on the app, etc., all the things consistent with it being a performance version. And it drives like a performance version.

Will upgrading to HW3 cause me to lose this performance version of the software they seem to have loaded on to the car?
I have a LR AWD and when I got my 3.0 installed, the software went back to an old version,
that they use as a standard for testing the new FSD computer.

Then you will have to get the newest version update.
When I got my car back, I checked the installed version, which was an old one,
so talking with the SC at the front desk about it, the technician was able to push a new version.

I guess, the Performance version is something you should talk about with the SC when making your appointment on-line.

I made an appt months ago and cancelled due to covid concerns with the 4 drive (one-way) to the service center.

Rescheduled for tomorrow, same 4 hour drive and except for the usual automated replies, haven't heard a peep out of them. So don't know if I have a loaner or if they'll be able to do everything in one day. If I have to wait 4 hours sitting in the grass outside a clinic (with my wife inside) and nearest public bathroom miles away because I had Uber credits, it's going to be a miserable day.

Last time I had an email with price estimates that I had to sign & return. There will be costs this time, like the replacement filters I asked them to put in when they remove AP2.5.

Arrived at 9 am with several things on my list, barely managed to get a P85D (in chill mode) loaner and the car was done in 3 hours. Still haven't seen any thing that tells what they did (and why they didn't do one item), but I do know I got the hard one out of the way. They surprised me and charged to 90%, which made the 4 hour drive home a lot easier. Any thing else could be done my our local ranger.