Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade or MCU1 death. Which will happen first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading this I feel like the extended warrantee I got is just money in Tesla's pocket.. then again, I believe in the company and I did pretty well from their stock in the early days.. so I don't feel so bad.

but yes.. coverage for possible MCU1 failure was my main reason for getting the extended warrantee.. but i'm WAY under miles.. so who knows if it will ever happen...

Reactions: David29
After reading this I feel like the extended warrantee I got is just money in Tesla's pocket.. then again, I believe in the company and I did pretty well from their stock in the early days.. so I don't feel so bad.

but yes.. coverage for possible MCU1 failure was my main reason for getting the extended warrantee.. but i'm WAY under miles.. so who knows if it will ever happen...

If im not mistaken. If you pay out of warranty to fix a MCU it is then covered by 4 years warranty

Reactions: croman
You're all right and you don't know it. Yes, Tesla has done some limited ape3 retrofits, but ONLY on S/X MCU2/APE2.5 cars.

To date, I'm not aware of any MCU1 car retrofits (Neither APE 2.0 nor 2.5). I'm still wondering if APE2.0 will actually get a retrofit, although Elon has been clear that it will. We shall see.

IMHO tesla will have to update MCU1 too for FSD option. MCU1 don't have enough hp to process rear camera input required for FSD processing. I may be wrong.
Rear camera passes through ape before routing to mcu1/2. Mcu1 doesn't affect FSD capabilities at all. There's no known reason why mcu1 can't work with the new FSD computer. Time will tell.

Why can't rear camera record for sentry mode on MCU1 then?
Rear camera recording is indeed offloaded to mcu2 for the dashcam process. That is independent from FSD functionality which is wholly contained within the APE computer. The only autopilot/FSD content that MCU touches is that it contains the ADAS maps that autopilot uses for NoA navigation, but that's very minor and the same between MCU1/2.

Short story is I don't expect any MCU retrofits (for free, at least) as part of the FSD ape3 retrofit process.

Rear camera recording is indeed offloaded to mcu2 for the dashcam process. That is independent from FSD functionality which is wholly contained within the APE computer. The only autopilot/FSD content that MCU touches is that it contains the ADAS maps that autopilot uses for NoA navigation, but that's very minor and the same between MCU1/2.

Short story is I don't expect any MCU retrofits (for free, at least) as part of the FSD ape3 retrofit process.
My car(MCU1) always had issues with rear camera. It shows frozen image from past/different location. SC had replaced camera, even MCU with no resolution. Now with release of smart summon feature, when car do not get correct feed from the camera it take wrong decision. One time it almost backed into the wall, and another time it did not see the pedestrians. SC and AP engineers confirmed this issue after extensive tests now advised me not to use the smart summon.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
IMHO tesla will have to update MCU1 too for FSD option. MCU1 don't have enough hp to process rear camera input required for FSD processing. I may be wrong.
Wrong. All FSD based processing occurs with the FSD computer. That’s why if your on AP2/2.5 and you pre purchased FSD Software you will eventually get FSD Computer upgrade for free.

As it relates to MCU/2, Elon said it’s coming and it it coming. But it’s a $$$ upgrade that will be optional. If you want to spend money on it then you can upgrade. It’s NOT a warranty item.