Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Serivce in Oakville told me yesterday that they have the boards but don’t have some bracket they need to attach it so they are waiting for those to be manufactured (none in the “warehouse” either) before they start rolling it out again.

They are probably still ironing out the install process. Other posts have mentioned that the retrofit is taking anywhere between 45 mins and 2 days depending if there's a issue that comes up during the retrofit install.
Yeah I've been reading that as well. I wonder what the big issues are that are causing the inconsistent experiences. I know some owners reported that there was extra hardware that was needed that their car didn't have and Tesla has none of the parts in stock.

I'm really hoping that HW3 or a future software update will fix my AP cameras being blinded constantly by the sun and dropping me out of Autopilot.

Yeah I've been reading that as well. I wonder what the big issues are that are causing the inconsistent experiences. I know some owners reported that there was extra hardware that was needed that their car didn't have and Tesla has none of the parts in stock.

I'm really hoping that HW3 or a future software update will fix my AP cameras being blinded constantly by the sun and dropping me out of Autopilot.
I get the same blinded message from time to time in very bright sun directly pointed at the cameras, but I doubt that the computer can fix that. Its likely just saturating the sensor, and the only way to fix that would be to add more dynamic range into the camera which is likely a change at the chip level for the sensor unless the A/D conversion is being handled by the hardware 3 chip. I hope that there is a fix, but given that the camera also has to operate late at night I am thinking that that wide of a dynamic range is not possible.

I guess in two to three months (or longer) we will all be finding out :)

Reactions: corlaandstan
I get the same blinded message from time to time in very bright sun directly pointed at the cameras, but I doubt that the computer can fix that. Its likely just saturating the sensor, and the only way to fix that would be to add more dynamic range into the camera which is likely a change at the chip level for the sensor unless the A/D conversion is being handled by the hardware 3 chip. I hope that there is a fix, but given that the camera also has to operate late at night I am thinking that that wide of a dynamic range is not possible.

I guess in two to three months (or longer) we will all be finding out :)
It was never a problem at all for me even under the same conditions. It started wtih 2019.42.x I believe I read that they converged some AP codesets around there with HW 2.5 and HW 3. The cameras dynamic range is probably optimized for HW 3 now? I have no idea, just guessing but it seems to have been affecting many owners since that round of updates.

I went from being able to drive my normal southbound trip to work every morning using Autopilot to not being able to at all if the sun was out.

With a major software rewrite underway, optimized for HW3, with an order of magnitude improvement in labeling accuracy, I am quite anxious to get my M3 upgraded. There really seems to be a delay getting this started in Canada. I actually had written into my purchase contract notes, when I took delivery in June, that the upgrade was to be done by year end 2019. Though I doubt they would pay any attention to that

It was never a problem at all for me even under the same conditions. It started wtih 2019.42.x I believe I read that they converged some AP codesets around there with HW 2.5 and HW 3. The cameras dynamic range is probably optimized for HW 3 now? I have no idea, just guessing but it seems to have been affecting many owners since that round of updates.

I went from being able to drive my normal southbound trip to work every morning using Autopilot to not being able to at all if the sun was out.
Interesting, in my case the performance has largely remained the same. Only when there is really strong sun right in my face do I ever see that message. Sucks but it has impacted your drive so much, hopefully there is a fix for you in a future software update.

Interesting, in my case the performance has largely remained the same. Only when there is really strong sun right in my face do I ever see that message. Sucks but it has impacted your drive so much, hopefully there is a fix for you in a future software update.

Yeah they have to fix it at some point. I've filed a complaint with Tesla Support who acknowledge seeing the issue in my car logs. They have opened an engineering escalation for review. I have to wait for around another 1.5 weeks or so to hear back. Hopefully they actually get bak to me.

Yeah they have to fix it at some point. I've filed a complaint with Tesla Support who acknowledge seeing the issue in my car logs. They have opened an engineering escalation for review. I have to wait for around another 1.5 weeks or so to hear back. Hopefully they actually get bak to me.
I get the very same message very frequently now as well. Very rarely did it happen before. Not sure exactly which FW version it began to sprout up on though.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
With a major software rewrite underway, optimized for HW3, with an order of magnitude improvement in labeling accuracy, I am quite anxious to get my M3 upgraded. There really seems to be a delay getting this started in Canada. I actually had written into my purchase contract notes, when I took delivery in June, that the upgrade was to be done by year end 2019. Though I doubt they would pay any attention to that
Lol you made them write it in the contract notes? You do realize that you will get it when you get it regardless of what the guy wrote in your notes.

Reactions: Kmartyn
I tried to get the upgrade from tesla service

This was their message:
This is Kirsten from Tesla Service. We are preparing your appointment for March 2 8:30am. Just reaching as at this moment we do have the part for the FSD retrofit however Tesla has decided to include a cover replacement that needs to be done with the retrofit and we currently do not have that cover.