Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 versus TESLA MODEL 3 | Wheels Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They were doing this car review and filming in my local suburb when I happened to be walking by. I asked about the car and mentioned I was an EV owner and looking to get a 2nd in about a years time. The guy seemed to indicate that the Hyundai was going to represent some real competition to Tesla. About 10 seconds later his female colleague and fellow reviewer (Nedahl Stelio) pulled up and we got talking. Her conclusion was to stick to Tesla, that it was a way better car.

They were doing this car review and filming in my local suburb when I happened to be walking by. I asked about the car and mentioned I was an EV owner and looking to get a 2nd in about a years time. The guy seemed to indicate that the Hyundai was going to represent some real competition to Tesla. About 10 seconds later his female colleague and fellow reviewer (Nedahl Stelio) pulled up and we got talking. Her conclusion was to stick to Tesla, that it was a way better car.
I have to wonder if $$ (sponsorship) is involved in these. Like how can Hyundai beat a Tesla? Really?

By...making a better car? I think the IONIQ 5 is a genuine contender for the Model Y (which by the way, isn't even available in Australia yet). It's a pretty compelling car from a manufacturer with an extremely good track record, especially in Australia.

Among the legacies, I think VAG and Hyundai are establishing their credentials to be Tesla’s biggest competitors for passenger vehicles. Ford might do it for trucks (F-150 Lightning is an impressive piece of work) but they are seriously production constrained and won’t be seen here any time soon.

Toyota is still in denial. I don’t think they’ll go bankrupt, like the fanboys on Electrek breathlessly predict every time they post, but the transition will be very painful for them, and they might emerge a shadow of their former self.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
Among the legacies, I think VAG and Hyundai are establishing their credentials to be Tesla’s biggest competitors for passenger vehicles. Ford might do it for trucks (F-150 Lightning is an impressive piece of work) but they are seriously production constrained and won’t be seen here any time soon.

Toyota is still in denial. I don’t think they’ll go bankrupt, like the fanboys on Electrek breathlessly predict every time they post, but the transition will be very painful for them, and they might emerge a shadow of their former self.
None of the legacy companies, despite all of the greenwash advertising / stunts, is that interested in eroding their profitable ICE sales. And yet they have to. Very interesting to watch how they walk this tightrope and who will survive on their own / merge / go under (some will).

None of the legacy companies, despite all of the greenwash advertising / stunts, is that interested in eroding their profitable ICE sales.

I disagree (obviously, I thumbed down your post). This is the kind of absolutist narrative that infects the BTL comments in Electrek.

Herbert Diess at VAG “gets it”, and they are well on the way to disrupting themselves. Yes they still make a bucketload of ICE, but no business is capable of pivoting 100% instantly, and if they tried, they would go broke - which would help no-one.

Tesla certainly cannot do this by themselves. They are clearly struggling to cope with the growing international order book and the backlog keeps getting worse. Just about everything in the global supply chain is strained and will be for months to come if not longer.

There is an inherent speed limit as to how fast these things can be done, even with all the will in the world.

I disagree (obviously, I thumbed down your post). This is the kind of absolutist narrative that infects the BTL comments in Electrek.

Herbert Diess at VAG “gets it”, and they are well on the way to disrupting themselves. Yes they still make a bucketload of ICE, but no business is capable of pivoting 100% instantly, and if they tried, they would go broke - which would help no-one.

Tesla certainly cannot do this by themselves. They are clearly struggling to cope with the growing international order book and the backlog keeps getting worse. Just about everything in the global supply chain is strained and will be for months to come if not longer.

There is an inherent speed limit as to how fast these things can be done, even with all the will in the world.
Agree. Can you imagine the charging issues if every manufacturer tonight declared all cars are now ev, effective immediately. The approach by the big german brands of having a choice of all models as ev or ice within a couple of years, and then adopting a phased rollout of the ice versions further seems like a rational model.

Herbert Diess at VAG “gets it”
Indeed he does. But Volkswagen is a vast ship. I hope he survives. VW CEO's Future
Ultimately the families that have a majority stake in VW and the big unions will decide his fate.
but no business is capable of pivoting 100% instantly, and if they tried, they would go broke - which would help no-one
Diess himself has said 50% of VWs output would be EV by 2030, 100% by 2040. This is the polar opposite of instant. We need faster movement than this and I have no faith that legacy auto can deliver it.

If being skeptical about the motives of legacy auto is being 'absolutist' then yes, count me in! My post above actually expressed interest in how legacy auto would navigate all of this and who would survive.

Tesla certainly cannot do this by themselves.

At no stage have I ever suggested that Tesla will / should / can end up making all the EVs in the world.

Hyundai are releasing additional Ioniq 5s to Australia on Thursday, starting with NSW and ACT. Between 100 and 150 cars estimated to be made available:

Other states to be invited later.

So move fast if this is of interest to you 😊