Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 versus TESLA MODEL 3 | Wheels Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Her most interesting sentence I found was "every car should have a simple button for lane keep assist". Her point that single lane roads don't always have their lines in ideal positions & require driving *on* the (side) line to avoid oncoming traffic is so true.

Great to see a female car reviewer for once as well. It is such a blokey domain.

Reactions: Gayle S
OK, I have never had that experience.
My guess is that the OP has auto high beams enabled. I find that - as well as making high beams unavailable at all below (I think) 30km/h - on occasions when travelling above that minimum speed there is significant lag between hitting the stalk forward for high beam and the high beam actually activating.

I think auto high beam was set to enabled a few firmware releases ago and I *think* some cars (non radar ones maybe) need it to be set to auto high beam for Autosteer to be available. I have auto high beam turned off on my car, however, because I can’t put up with the lag in the high beams turning on when set to auto AND it doesn’t (currently at least) stop me from using Autosteer by letting me be in control of the high/low beam in the old-school manner :)

Try turning high beam on while in a "built up" area.

I did that accidentally once in Summer Hill (inner Sydney suburb) not long after getting the car. I only realised I had done it when I got the flash from oncoming traffic. I saw the blue high-beam icon on the console and realised I had accidentally bumped the stalk to turn it on.

I have auto high beam turned off.

This is one of my biggest complaints about the Model 3. Things that were easy in my previous ICE are a lot harder and more distracting. e.g. turning on the fog lights, adjusting the fan speed. Even turning on high beam won't always work.

I hear you, but most Telsa fans just can't admit that some physical controls ARE better. The only reason I see it being a thing is to reduce production costs. The whole "but you can change things in software" is a complete cop out because physical inputs are all just digital inputs to the body computer now anyway. I also hate "talking" to my car.

I have said it before that a simple row of physical buttons below the screen with a turn knob at each end would fix 90% of peoples complaints. You could actually choose to assign a function to each button and knob. The currently assigned function to each button and knob would be displayed on the touch screen. I'd bring back a regular mirror control. Steering wheel adjustment doesn't worry me too much, but its still nice to adjust its they way its done in a regular car. Rear heated seat control missing is also an amazing oversight. Wipers drive me mad also. Door handles are annoying, 0.2% range benefit, i'll give it up. Being near your car with your phone/fob apparently means you want it unlocked, odd.

Still nothing better out there in the EV world however.

Reactions: positiv
I hear you, but most Telsa fans just can't admit that some physical controls ARE better. The only reason I see it being a thing is to reduce production costs. The whole "but you can change things in software" is a complete cop out because physical inputs are all just digital inputs to the body computer now anyway. I also hate "talking" to my car.

I have said it before that a simple row of physical buttons below the screen with a turn knob at each end would fix 90% of peoples complaints. You could actually choose to assign a function to each button and knob. The currently assigned function to each button and knob would be displayed on the touch screen. I'd bring back a regular mirror control. Steering wheel adjustment doesn't worry me too much, but its still nice to adjust its they way its done in a regular car. Rear heated seat control missing is also an amazing oversight. Wipers drive me mad also. Door handles are annoying, 0.2% range benefit, i'll give it up. Being near your car with your phone/fob apparently means you want it unlocked, odd.

Still nothing better out there in the EV world however.
Its interesting that all other ‘coming soon’ ev’s do retain some seperate controls, and there is definately a common theme of retaining a trackball to control the screen rather than reach two arm lengths.

Trackball? Sounds like the near unusable wheel control in my last Audi. "Typing" in addresses to the nav was like punching out letters on an old Dymo labeller, and then you have all those blank buttons that change their function depending on what it says on the little tiny screen 2 feet away. Just looking at it was a danger.

No, give me a touch screen any time. Model 3's interior is well nigh perfect for me. I do like having a dash right behind the wheel on my S, but a few days (actually about 10 minutes!) driving a loaner Model 3 convinced me it was not at all necessary.

As much as I like Lexus I won't ever own another one with that scratch pad interface. I bought the car knowing the issue thinking that I could get used to it, but even with Apply Carplay it was far too distracting to the point where I'd consider it dangerous.

Touch screen with a UI designed specifically for a driver is far better.

As with a lot of these things, most of the criticism comes from those who haven't tried it. Bit like the central screen for the 3 when it came out.

I expect most of those who dropped USD 100k on a car (and knowing they were getting a joke yoke) are not about to turn around and say “gee, I made a dud decision”. More likely they will look for a rationale to validate their decision and say it’s not as bad as it looks and it’s easy to get used to.

I’ve seen videos of people doing 90°+ turns with the joke yoke and it looks extremely uncomfortable and unnecessarily difficult. Like most solutions in search of a problem, I fail to see any benefits to it, except perhaps for horrendously obese Americans.

The central screen in the 3 is very different. It is used very occasionally while driving, whereas the steering wheel is used every moment while driving.

As with a lot of these things, most of the criticism comes from those who haven't tried it. Bit like the central screen for the 3 when it came out.
Actually I’ve watched a number of video’s of people criticing it whilst trying it, mostly whilst trying to park, do u turns, or any action that requires full lock steering input. Seems comments are positive when driving in a straight line though. Unlikely anyone in Australia has tried one unless they had a permit to depart our prison island so risky buying an S, but I can’t see what problem it tries to solve?