Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’m feeling dumb. How do you resume cruise after cancelling it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think @diplomat33 meant to "tap it down", which I think you are calling "flick it down".

Basically the answer to your question is no, there is no "resume" like other cars have. You just turn it back on again.

I think the rationale is that with TACC, the need to cancel and then resume cruise control is less prevalent. Still, it seems awkward to have to re-enable cruise manually (as you say), but you eventually get used to it.

In my 2020 MS, I pull stalk control toward me to turn on TACC and push away to cancel. Flick/tap down is to reduce speed and up is to increase speed.

Are the MS and M3 really different, or is this just a difference in terminology?

In my 2020 MS, I pull stalk control toward me to turn on TACC and push away to cancel. Flick/tap down is to reduce speed and up is to increase speed.

Are the MS and M3 really different, or is this just a difference in terminology?
The Model 3/Y does not have a dedicated cruise control stalk so it's completely different from the legacy Model S/X.

Reactions: redmunds
Bear in mind that after going into cruise, you have adjusted the speed rather than live with the speed off-set on 'controls', then when you resume cruise the same way you did to get into it in the first place, it will also return to the default speed.

Adding to the confusion will be the single pull option to engage A/P.
This feature works great until you just want cruise control. Also with single pull, when you disengage Autopilot by turning the wheel, it will also cancel out cruise control as well.

1701965494699.png

This feature works great until you just want cruise control. Also with single pull, when you disengage Autopilot by turning the wheel, it will also cancel out cruise control as well.
That's the very point of the option; the car is either using autonomy or you're driving manually. It's brain dead simple, and it's what some owners have asked for. If you don't want it, don't use it. I turned it on immediately.

Reactions: uscbucsfan

View attachment 997279
There are people who never use TACC, so this option is perfect for them. It removes the extraneous double pull.

As others have said, there is no "resume" for TACC (nor AP for that matter), but there are a couple shortcuts to set the max speed again:
1) tapping the speed limit sign visual (if available) sets your max speed to the speed limit or offset you made in settings
2) if you've held the accelerator pedal higher than the speed limit/offset, tapping down on the stalk (even with TACC/AP engaged) will set the max speed to the current speed so you don't have to scroll up and up and up a bunch to get max speed back up to where you had it before disengaging (i.e. - when the nav data speed limit is way to low or the cameras read and adjusted the speed limit to way too low)

• Helpful
Reactions: jeewee3000
As others have said, there is no "resume" for TACC (nor AP for that matter), but there are a couple shortcuts to set the max speed again:
1) tapping the speed limit sign visual (if available) sets your max speed to the speed limit or offset you made in settings
2) if you've held the accelerator pedal higher than the speed limit/offset, tapping down on the stalk (even with TACC/AP engaged) will set the max speed to the current speed so you don't have to scroll up and up and up a bunch to get max speed back up to where you had it before disengaging (i.e. - when the nav data speed limit is way to low or the cameras read and adjusted the speed limit to way too low)
Didn't know about #2, thanks.

Question: is there a speed-limiter mode? I.e. you set a max speed so that when you floor the accelerator pedal the car maxes out at the set speed instead of accelerating further?

Holding the stalk down to the first position for a second or two will set the TACC speed to the displayed speed limit plus whatever offset you have configured in the Autopilot panel. Same thing as tapping the speed limit icon on the display, but a bit more convenient to do.

You can also, of course, roll your speed up or down with the right scroll wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: jeewee3000

View attachment 997279
Yeah. Was frustrated after the update as I couldn’t engage cruise. Once we landed at our destination I was able to reconfigure it so cruise was once again available. I feel it’s not smart what they did. But well Tesla.