Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ve been invited to configure. Should I?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a day 1 (31st here in the US) reservation holder who waited in line at the Palo Alto Tesla store. Fully intended to get a Model 3 as the Model S seemed like a bit of overkill (size and $ wise). I would bide my time until Model 3 came to production.

Then Tesla announced in March of this year that they were discontinuing the Model S 60/60D and between FOMO and the fact that I anticipated that the difference in price between a optioned out dual motor Model 3 and the 60D I was looking at wouldn’t be a life changing amount of money different...I sprung for a optioned out 60D. Later upgraded to 75D.

At that point I wasn’t sure what to do with my Model 3 reservation.

Now yesterday I got an invitation to configure. Which was earlier than I expected.

I have the choice to 1) configure and buy the Model 3 LR now with the intention to replace MS, 2) keep reservation and keep waiting for the dual motor and to drive the thing in person, 3) cancel my reservation and just keep my Model S and continue to be happy with it, 4) arrange a somewhat complicated “transfer” of the car to someone else.

I love my Model S. I have seen the Model 3 (in person) many times now but still haven’t ridden in one, let alone drove one. Yes, I’ve watched all the videos but watching others drive it and experiencing it for myself are two different things.

I don’t need both Model S and Model 3 so it’s definitely one or the other.

I’m current leaning towards deferring the decision by going with option #2 and wait for dual motor m3 to come out and to test drive it. But i don’t know. If I had a chance to drive a Model 3 it might help me make a decision to go M3 or stay MS. First world problems I guess.

Anyone else in this same boat?

• Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
I’m current leaning towards deferring the decision by going with option #2 and wait for dual motor m3 to come out and to test drive it. But i don’t know. If I had a chance to drive a Model 3 it might help me make a decision to go M3 or stay MS. First world problems I guess.

Sounds like a plan. Enjoy the S and make the 3 decision later when Dual, white interior and other new options have appeared.

Reactions: GSP and DR61
Agree. Don't dump your reservation (unless you really need the cash) - just hold onto it until you can drive one with the options you really want and then make the decision of Model S or Model 3. I'm sure neither will disappoint.

Oh, that I had this dilemma...(crawls back under rock to keep waiting...waiting...waiting...)

Reactions: GSP and DR61
I wish I were in that position, but if I were I'd probably go with option 2 and wait for more details on the D (and perhaps P LR D). The 1k in your pocket is worth nothing next to the kicking yourself feeling you may have when those details come out.

If, when you know more, you decide to finally cancel, you're only out another 6-9 months of interest.

Reactions: GSP
Hi

California, Model S owner reserved 3/31/16.

Just invited to configure. I was thinking of waiting but as my wife's Leaf was totaled a month ago, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.
My wife doesn't like AP and we choose midnight silver metallic. Got the sport wheels.

As far as rationale: will probably keep the car for 8+ years so having the longer range is better.

I love my Model S 75 and will continue to drive it daily as I find the AP very useful in traffic.

Very excited to see this coming. Here's to hopefully still a 2017 delivery!

Reactions: GSP, MagT and EinSV
Thanks. At this point the option to just cancel and get my $1k back isn’t one I would do at this point -just listed it as AN option.

In reality I am torn between keeping the reservation and waiting for the M3 dual motor and Performance details and some variation of Option #4. I have multiple friends who want a Model 3 and would like me to facilitate buying it and putting them on the title - effectively transferring it to them. All for helping out friends...but if I did that and then later saw the dual motor & performance M3 was awesome...I’d be kicking myself then, too!

So will probably wait and see.

Reactions: GSP
Thanks. At this point the option to just cancel and get my $1k back isn’t one I would do at this point -just listed it as AN option.

In reality I am torn between keeping the reservation and waiting for the M3 dual motor and Performance details and some variation of Option #4. I have multiple friends who want a Model 3 and would like me to facilitate buying it and putting them on the title - effectively transferring it to them. All for helping out friends...but if I did that and then later saw the dual motor & performance M3 was awesome...I’d be kicking myself then, too!

So will probably wait and see.

By the time the performance car is out, the wait list for new buyers will probably be down to something tolerable - especially if Tesla prioritizes Performance orders, like they historically have for both S and X.

But in your shoes, I think I'd wait for more information - at least for a test drive, and maybe until the other configurations become available.

Reactions: hobbes
If you already have the car you want, why take a risk on the car you don't need, especially when it's likely that there will be lots of things still to be worked out in production Model 3s? Right now you have a Tesla model that has had the vast majority of bugs worked out.

I also received the invite to configure yesterday, but am debating whether to buy now or wait as well. The main issue for me is wanting a lighter interior color option (I have beige in my Model S and much prefer that lighter interior than the black interiors on the loaner Model S cars I've driven), although the car wouldn't be for me (per se). The model 3 will be replacing my wife's i3 (I'll be keeping my Model S). I don't care about the dual motor option since we're in SoCal, and my wife couldn't care less about performance. Actually, I think my wife would prefer the darker colored interior to hide stains/mess (she's not a car person, and doesn't do a great job of keeping the car clean), but then again, I don't think she even wants/cares about trading her car in. Lol, so I say the car is for my wife, but somehow I would be buying it indirectly for my own benefit.

I was a day 1 (31st here in the US) reservation holder who waited in line at the Palo Alto Tesla store. Fully intended to get a Model 3 as the Model S seemed like a bit of overkill (size and $ wise). I would bide my time until Model 3 came to production.

Then Tesla announced in March of this year that they were discontinuing the Model S 60/60D and between FOMO and the fact that I anticipated that the difference in price between a optioned out dual motor Model 3 and the 60D I was looking at wouldn’t be a life changing amount of money different...I sprung for a optioned out 60D. Later upgraded to 75D.

At that point I wasn’t sure what to do with my Model 3 reservation.

Now yesterday I got an invitation to configure. Which was earlier than I expected.

I have the choice to 1) configure and buy the Model 3 LR now with the intention to replace MS, 2) keep reservation and keep waiting for the dual motor and to drive the thing in person, 3) cancel my reservation and just keep my Model S and continue to be happy with it, 4) arrange a somewhat complicated “transfer” of the car to someone else.

I love my Model S. I have seen the Model 3 (in person) many times now but still haven’t ridden in one, let alone drove one. Yes, I’ve watched all the videos but watching others drive it and experiencing it for myself are two different things.

I don’t need both Model S and Model 3 so it’s definitely one or the other.

Actually, I'm in almost exactly the same situation, except I bought the MS in 9/2016. I do have included Supercharging, so that is a factor (we travel quite a bit, 32K miles in a little over a year). Wouldn't have it with the M3.

If you are thinking of trading in the MS to get the M3, you might ask for a trade value. That might help your decision. For me, I'd have to PAY Tesla to trade for a RWD M3 LR. Yeah, that decision is pretty easy. No.

I do still have my M3 reservation, and when they ask, I'll wait.

I also received the invite to configure yesterday, but am debating whether to buy now or wait as well. The main issue for me is wanting a lighter interior color option (I have beige in my Model S and much prefer that lighter interior than the black interiors on the loaner Model S cars I've driven), although the car wouldn't be for me (per se). The model 3 will be replacing my wife's i3 (I'll be keeping my Model S). I don't care about the dual motor option since we're in SoCal, and my wife couldn't care less about performance. Actually, I think my wife would prefer the darker colored interior to hide stains/mess (she's not a car person, and doesn't do a great job of keeping the car clean), but then again, I don't think she even wants/cares about trading her car in. Lol, so I say the car is for my wife, but somehow I would be buying it indirectly for my own benefit.

About the dark interior -- my wife and I had the exact same concern; we assumed that the dark interior would be too dark. Luckily for us, one of her friends got his Model 3 last Saturday (his son is an employee - VIN 822, white with aero wheels). On Monday, he invited us to come over and check out the interior. He let me drive it around residential streets, with my wife in the back seat. We both agreed that the dark Model 3 interior is much less dark than the black Model S interior, which is truly all black. The Model 3 has various shades of grey, with the lighter tones being most visible to us. Also, the glass roof was amazing from the back seat. Wife's verdict: "it's really not that dark". She loved it.

Also, the driving experience was exactly like my RWD S85. Quiet and zippy, and in fact it felt slightly zippier than my S85.

If I could afford a Model S (like you already can), I'd keep the Model S! I'm only getting a 3 because the S is way outside of my price range.

So yeah, cancel the reservation and enjoy your S! But @T34ME's suggestion is also good, if you don't need the $1000 keep it and see what happens over the next few years. If you want to downsize you might sell the S and get a performance AWD Model 3 in a few years time.

About the dark interior -- my wife and I had the exact same concern; we assumed that the dark interior would be too dark. Luckily for us, one of her friends got his Model 3 last Saturday (his son is an employee - VIN 822, white with aero wheels). On Monday, he invited us to come over and check out the interior. He let me drive it around residential streets, with my wife in the back seat. We both agreed that the dark Model 3 interior is much less dark than the black Model S interior, which is truly all black. The Model 3 has various shades of grey, with the lighter tones being most visible to us. Also, the glass roof was amazing from the back seat. Wife's verdict: "it's really not that dark". She loved it.

Also, the driving experience was exactly like my RWD S85. Quiet and zippy, and in fact it felt slightly zippier than my S85.

Thanks for sharing your experience. This makes me think perhaps we could go with the current interior option, especially since it’s my wife’s car and she is hesitant about a light interior showing stains etc. I’ll have to take a closer look at interior pics online (haven’t yet had a chance to see one in person), but it sounds like from your experience that the interior color palette might be more charcoal grey than black. I just really dislike the all black cave interior of the model S.

To OP: If it were me, I'd keep your S and sit on the reservation until AWD/Performance versions surface. That said, I'm an S owner who plans to replace mine with a 3 first chance I get, but my current Tesla is approaching 5 years old and has no AP. If i'd just gotten my S less than a year ago, I'd be keeping it.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I love the Model S and the only thing I (fundamentally) hesitate with it is the overall size. No kids at home, don’t usually haul a lot of stuff, etc. Usually just wife and I and maybe 1/4 of the trunk full (if that).

And parking is always a bit tight...seems like width of California parking lots keeps getting narrower and narrower every time they re-stripe them.

That said, maybe I will feel differently later this month when we have family (4 adults + 4 suitcases and presents) coming in for Christmas and I pick them all up at the airport. Pretty sure the Model S has more overall cargo capacity than our small SUV (Acura RDX) and should swallow the whole extended family and their luggage and other stuff with no problems. But even still, this is a once/twice/few times a year use case. The rest of the time (for us) this car is a bit oversized. A Model 3 looks about perfect, size-wise. I’ve seen one in person next to a Model S and it’s definitely not too compact...but not too large either.

Performance wise, I got uncorked last month and that has been great. About 4 seconds flat 0-60...I’ve already gotten used to it.

So I think I’ll just sit tight and keep my reservation until the “PDLR” version comes out.

• Love
Reactions: 03DSG