Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can no longer recommend Tesla. Their Service is the Worst

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? So lets talk strictly mechanics/service at the SC because this is what this thread is all about. Are you trying to tell me that all mechanics all do the same or comparable work when a car needs servicing and no matter who may work on it, the outcome will be the same?

One guy will rip apart the car doing more damage than good while leaving boot prints and grease marks everywhere whereas another will take the time to do it right without leaving a sign he even worked on the car. This has nothing to do with Tesla as a company or the training they may get, more like best employee vs worst.

I am not saying nobody has had bad experiences. My point is change service centres if you can if things do not work out for you where you are, some seem to get things right and seem to have competent people, others do not fare as well.
I have been to 7 SvC, should I go to 8? If I expect different results by doing so, perhaps that's one definition of insanity.

Resources are spread pretty thin across the region. Some places are less busy than others, but then the mechanics are less proficient. I don't expect profound differences between SvC in a given region.

I expect problems with having someone else work on your car. But at least with non Tesla shops I can talk to them and resolve problems before they happen.

Still no word on when I will get my reimbursement for flatbed tow arranged by Roadside, from Oct 11.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Will be glad to report back however over the 2 1/2 years of owning Teslas, and all of my SC visits, nothing has really ever gone wrong nor have they damaged anything. It did happen once where they kept the car longer than expected due to parts availability which if I remember correctly was an additional 4 days. Did not bother me much since they had given me a loaner.

As promised here is my report. Everything went as it should. New windshield installed on time, nothing to report out of the ordinary. Got a free carwash. :D Asked them about getting the new improved drivers side wiper arm for the Y they started using sometime around June of 2021 as my wife was complaining about it not cleaning well. No problem, walked out with one as I left. Will install tonight or tomorrow.

I hear the OP.

If they could just get the quality up. Get a loaner system. Even an on site rental company is fine. Stop with the "within specs" BS. This would be a much better experience. It could be perfect. Tesla is like the person who has ran most of the iron man, but quits just short of the finish. The big job has been accomplished. The company is healthy. They are mass producing now and increasing numbers steadily. No longer a little niche product for a few in California. They have the highest margins in the industry. The marketing is working and it is at its peak probably. The hype around the brand is huge. Just finish the job. You are almost there. So sad.

But what else are you going to get if you shop for a Model S Right now? Nothing. Plenty of high end ICE cars in the $100-120k range but it is so inconvenient to go back to ICE for a daily driver. I am just too lazy to go to the gas station now.

Etron GT?
Unfortunately it's impractical re interior space and lacking in range. Upcoming SQ8 solves the former but not the latter, plus no one pedal driving...but they are getting closer. I hope, and expect, that within 4-5 years there are true Tesla alternatives as the issue for customers is Tesla has no viable opposition re software and performance meaning they can ignore QC and CS as they are making money hand over fist. Proper competition will hopefully change this, or Tesla may sink (very unlikely). Either way something has to change for the good of us consumers. Now all of this said, our MYP has been close to flawless (fit and finish expected but it's okay) but if our experience with the ordered MSP is bad I'll move on from the brand...crossing my fingers that won't be the case as it's such a wonderful vehicle if you get a good one.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Unfortunately it's impractical re interior space and lacking in range. Upcoming SQ8 solves the former but not the latter, plus no one pedal driving...but they are getting closer. I hope, and expect, that within 4-5 years there are true Tesla alternatives as the issue for customers is Tesla has no viable opposition re software and performance meaning they can ignore QC and CS as they are making money hand over fist. Proper competition will hopefully change this, or Tesla may sink (very unlikely). Either way something has to change for the good of us consumers. Now all of this said, our MYP has been close to flawless (fit and finish expected but it's okay) but if our experience with the ordered MSP is bad I'll move on from the brand...crossing my fingers that won't be the case as it's such a wonderful vehicle if you get a good one.
When ever some one brings this subject up, or I've had another gut wrenching experience with Tesla, driving me away from the brand, I remind myself, no one besides Tesla has a reliable charging network.

EA = Endless Anxiety

Reactions: father_of_6
When ever some one brings this subject up, or I've had another gut wrenching experience with Tesla, driving me away from the brand, I remind myself, no one besides Tesla has a reliable charging network.

EA = Endless Anxiety
Totally....opening that up may change things eventually but rival makers have to start making better electric vehicles first....

Model S, Lucid, Rivian...
The Lucid is cool. But I am worried about their survival still. Rivian is a truck. Hardly an MS alternative. Other: EQS is ugly (IMHO). eTRon GT looks great but no over the air updates I am reading. BMWs are ugly (to me after driving them pretty much exclusively for 30 years or more). I have my eyes on the A6 eTron. That looks great. It was going to be here 2023 now they say 2024. Maybe by then VW Group will figure out their software too.

I have had my Model S for almost eight years and I have had a number of issues recently. I am not upset about the issues with the car, it is after all, eight years old with 165K miles, and truth be told, I was aware of Tesla's reputation for poor build quality when I got it. I am a big fan of what the company has done and the direction they are pushing the whole auto industry to. What has got me really frustrated is the abysmal customer service. Between 2014 and 2018, customer service at Tesla was PHENOMENAL! What happened??!! I really miss having a live person I could call and explain what issue was wrong with my vehicle. I miss getting calls telling me when I could expect to get my car back. I miss having loaner vehicles made available when your car was in service. Relying on an app to handle service is the worst idea in the world and I wish I could punch the latte sipping, avocado toast gobbling millennial that thought this was the way to treat customers. No one responds to your messages. Ever!! Getting parts takes forever. The repair time estimates are never on time. There is no direct phone to the service center itself!! Who stays in business like this??!!

I know I am not the only person that feels this way and for all you apologists that think the problem is me, then rest assured, your time to deal with these clowns is coming sooner than you think. Unless things dramatically improve, I honestly cannot see myself recommending this car company to anyone.
I'm not sure what your specific issue is here. You seem to not like how the SC engages with you (app instead of phone call). But do you have issues with the actual services performed?

The Lucid is cool. But I am worried about their survival still. Rivian is a truck. Hardly an MS alternative. Other: EQS is ugly (IMHO). eTRon GT looks great but no over the air updates I am reading. BMWs are ugly (to me after driving them pretty much exclusively for 30 years or more). I have my eyes on the A6 eTron. That looks great. It was going to be here 2023 now they say 2024. Maybe by then VW Group will figure out their software too.
Agree. Tesla or Lucid for me, range is important.

I have had my Model S for almost eight years and I have had a number of issues recently. I am not upset about the issues with the car, it is after all, eight years old with 165K miles, and truth be told, I was aware of Tesla's reputation for poor build quality when I got it. I am a big fan of what the company has done and the direction they are pushing the whole auto industry to. What has got me really frustrated is the abysmal customer service. Between 2014 and 2018, customer service at Tesla was PHENOMENAL! What happened??!! I really miss having a live person I could call and explain what issue was wrong with my vehicle. I miss getting calls telling me when I could expect to get my car back. I miss having loaner vehicles made available when your car was in service. Relying on an app to handle service is the worst idea in the world and I wish I could punch the latte sipping, avocado toast gobbling millennial that thought this was the way to treat customers. No one responds to your messages. Ever!! Getting parts takes forever. The repair time estimates are never on time. There is no direct phone to the service center itself!! Who stays in business like this??!!

I know I am not the only person that feels this way and for all you apologists that think the problem is me, then rest assured, your time to deal with these clowns is coming sooner than you think. Unless things dramatically improve, I honestly cannot see myself recommending this car company to anyone.
I 100% agree with you. I’m a long time multiple Tesla owner and Tesla service was amazing until the mass produced 3’s and Y’s came along. Nothing against 3 and Y owners (I have one in my collection as well), but that’s when it started going downhill.
I absolutely love the cars, hate the company. The ONLY reason I haven’t switched is because of their charging infrastructure. But even that is going to be a big kick in the nuts very soon when it opens up to non Tesla vehicles.

• Love
Reactions: aerodyne
I hear the OP.

If they could just get the quality up. Get a loaner system. Even an on site rental company is fine. Stop with the "within specs" BS. This would be a much better experience. It could be perfect. Tesla is like the person who has ran most of the iron man, but quits just short of the finish. The big job has been accomplished. The company is healthy. They are mass producing now and increasing numbers steadily. No longer a little niche product for a few in California. They have the highest margins in the industry. The marketing is working and it is at its peak probably. The hype around the brand is huge. Just finish the job. You are almost there. So sad.

But what else are you going to get if you shop for a Model S Right now? Nothing. Plenty of high end ICE cars in the $100-120k range but it is so inconvenient to go back to ICE for a daily driver. I am just too lazy to go to the gas station now.

I agree. I had the pleasant experience this past Friday of having my HVAC compressor and super manifold replaced due to an error I received on my
'22 MSP. I scheduled an appointment on the app and I know people like not having to deal/talk with a service advisor but I always did so I could ask a few questions and figure out what the repair entails, how long it will take, etc. Instead I only get a notice that I get rideshare credits.

So I arrive at a new service center (this is the third one I have gone to since the other two I have been to for various things were not great experiences) and the service advisor tells me that the work will take between 4-6 hours and I have $100 in rideshare credits which barely covers my ride home and back since I live about 40 minutes from the service center. I asked about getting a loaner and they said they had none so I just figured I would wait at the service center and work in the lobby.

After waiting about 6-7 hours I go to check on the status of my car and they tell me it won't be ready until Monday now since they don't work on Saturdays and now somehow there is a loaner car I can take home. Now I'm a little annoyed by the lack of communication. If I hadn't gone to check on the status when were they going to tell me this? Anyway, I drive almost an hour home because of rush hour and right when I get near my home I get a message that my car is ready for pick up, WTF. Had I known that I would have just waited and now I have to make another trip out there to pick my car up. I know I shouldn't expect more but when paying $130k for a car I would expect a little more. I guess the good thing is my service advisor was really nice and they fixed my car without damaging anything else that I know of.

• Informative
Reactions: Nickos and aerodyne
This morning, I got a survey from Tesla asking about my recent repair experience (car out of service for almost 6 months, waiting for a replacement air strut).

Why do they even bother? Are they looking to see how they can make the customer experience even worse than it currently is?
Possibly they are looking at reducing costs by making service even less effective.