Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't imagine - What will part 2 bring?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The steering equivalent of playing a Theremin.

theremin.gif

• Funny
Reactions: S3XY and Seesaw
That's a long long time from now. What a shame.

That's a long time to part with $1K with nothing to show for it - just for a place in line.

I wonder how many bolts will be sold by the time the first ≡ shows up.
2,500?

After ludicrous speed in Spaceballs comes "plaid". They don't reference maximum plaid, that's Elon's thing. The reference is "they've gone plaid".

technically plaid WAS ludicrous speed... light speed is the stars stretching to lines, then ridiculous speed and finally ludicrous, which was plaid (and shot over them)

2,500?

technically plaid WAS ludicrous speed... light speed is the stars stretching to lines, then ridiculous speed and finally ludicrous, which was plaid (and shot over them)

If you want to get technical go post in the battery pack size thread. We don't need your wet blanket in here ruining our movie references. I suppose next you're going to shoot down a cowbell reference. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Bimbels and MP3Mike
Me too I believe it will offer fully autonomous driving. Hints - no dashboard - landscape centered screen. Allows to watch a movie by driver, passenger and backseat passenger while the car drives by itself.

However the symetrical screen also simplifies for right and lefthand driven car set-ups.

Me too I believe it will offer fully autonomous driving. Hints - no dashboard - landscape centered screen. Allows to watch a movie by driver, passenger and backseat passenger while the car drives by itself.

However the symetrical screen also simplifies for right and lefthand driven car set-ups.

don't count on movies anytime soon.

regulations will still dictate that a human be prepared to take the controls at any time (Level 4 autonomy).

When we get to level 5 (full AI control/no human-operated controls in the vehicle), that's when we'll see crazy pods with TV screens and seats that don't even face forward.

All the people saying it's going to be about automatic driving / supercharging news etc completely misunderstand that "part 2 of a Tesla Model 3 presentation" is "about the CAR" not about the fleet!!! Also if they start making 3 look too good then people will get confused and think the S X won't have it. They won't put anything in the 3 that's better than the S and X. That'd be suicidal. They also don't need to make the 3 look too good - and over fill it with stuff... they have 300,000 pre-orders!!
I expect to see:
final design tweaks (per Tweets this is likely to be). Larger rear trunk/boot - Musk confirmed they'll look at it. Improved nose - lots of negativity. Something about showing the speed / indicators / navigation. Any display where everyone can see your speed is "not a drivers car". This stuff should be behind the wheel. Hopefully not on the steering wheel as eyes will tire focusing at the wheel then the road over and over again. I want that "2 inch" gap to be about twice that high and a foot wide - and a screen there... there has to be a screen there. Anything else and I and many others will cancel !! I am not straining across to see stuff on the right of a centre mounted screen! I'd buy a Bolt! All the HUD talk is complete rubbish for a 3 at launch. If anything S would be refreshed with this long before it hits 3. 3 is going to be basic and cheap. I expect to see S refreshed before middle of next year. If they don't sales might collapse before 3 launches... and S is where they make their margins. Remember it's twice the price - if it's got worse gear what will happen to S !!!
Alternatives to the roof (glass / metal were mentioned by drivers).
I'm not sure if they'll talk packages and prices.
Oh - and please bring back the original gorgeous speedometer / accelerometer / regeneration meter - I hate the numbers and stupid car safety image with a passion !! Move the car safety image to a side screen of the S - it's a gimmick!

Ironically, I was more accepting of the center display than the fact it wasn't a hatchback. I'm confident the production model will be even more awesome than the concepts that were shown.

They are my #1 and #2 major gripes that have made me nearly cancel my order. I think something is planned for behind the steering wheel... I hope Elon's picked up on the negativity of just having a centre screen and no instrument cluster. We've been told the steering wheel was not a production version one (it's a bit small + it's got no buttons on it). I don't expect the screen on the wheel (don't want it either). Focusing your eyes from the wheel to the road will give me and others a headache... the road to the dash is a big difference to the road to a steering wheel. Try it and see if you don't believe me.

All the people saying it's going to be about automatic driving / supercharging news etc completely misunderstand that "part 2 of a Tesla Model 3 presentation" is "about the CAR" not about the fleet!!! Also if they start making 3 look too good then people will get confused and think the S X won't have it. They won't put anything in the 3 that's better than the S and X. That'd be suicidal. They also don't need to make the 3 look too good - and over fill it with stuff... they have 300,000 pre-orders!!
I expect to see:
final design tweaks (per Tweets this is likely to be). Larger rear trunk/boot - Musk confirmed they'll look at it. Improved nose - lots of negativity. Something about showing the speed / indicators / navigation. Any display where everyone can see your speed is "not a drivers car". This stuff should be behind the wheel. Hopefully not on the steering wheel as eyes will tire focusing at the wheel then the road over and over again. I want that "2 inch" gap to be about twice that high and a foot wide - and a screen there... there has to be a screen there. Anything else and I and many others will cancel !! I am not straining across to see stuff on the right of a centre mounted screen! I'd buy a Bolt! All the HUD talk is complete rubbish for a 3 at launch. If anything S would be refreshed with this long before it hits 3. 3 is going to be basic and cheap. I expect to see S refreshed before middle of next year. If they don't sales might collapse before 3 launches... and S is where they make their margins. Remember it's twice the price - if it's got worse gear what will happen to S !!!
Alternatives to the roof (glass / metal were mentioned by drivers).
I'm not sure if they'll talk packages and prices.
Oh - and please bring back the original gorgeous speedometer / accelerometer / regeneration meter - I hate the numbers and stupid car safety image with a passion !! Move the car safety image to a side screen of the S - it's a gimmick!

They don't make margins on the S, they may make margins on the S but that is pure speculation.

I think people are nuts for expecting level 4 autonomy. There's no way that could be ready by 2017, and if Tesla tries they'll destroy themselves. It might be fine for good weather situations, but in heavy rain or snow? No effing way. There still needs to be extensive testing that needs to be done with next gen autopilot systems (redundant radars, cameras, etc). People are setting themselves up for huge disappointments with these crazy speculations.

People are setting themselves up for huge disappointments with these crazy speculations.
I agree wholeheartedly, but I have to say - you are barely seeing the beginning of it. This egg has a year and a half to incubate. If it's anything like what happened with the X, you're going to see plenty of wild speculation, and lots of disappointment.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I think people are nuts for expecting level 4 autonomy. There's no way that could be ready by 2017, and if Tesla tries they'll destroy themselves. It might be fine for good weather situations, but in heavy rain or snow? No effing way. There still needs to be extensive testing that needs to be done with next gen autopilot systems (redundant radars, cameras, etc). People are setting themselves up for huge disappointments with these crazy speculations.

They can put the hardware for it in and deliver the functionality later in 2018 when they have it fully worked out. I believe they also need to get government approval at the state and federal level to do it.

As far as weather goes, you realize that higher level AP systems use things like radar to see the road and obstacles right? You seem to think that the guys doing development on this stuff are a full 10 years behind where they actually are.

There is zero reason that an AP system couldn't perform as well as a human driver in inclement weather conditions. The vehicle would slow to a safe speed and would use things like mathematical calculation to figure out where the lanes are if it can't "see" the lines. It also in some senses is better than a human in these situations since humans don't have radar available to see obstacles when their vision is impacted by snow/rain/fog.

The feature I would like to see at the second unveiling is some kind of inductive charging system so you can simply drive the car into your garage and have it charge without ever having to plug it in.