Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I feel terrible for GM Bolt owners as a former Volt owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
GM tells Bolt EV owners to park 50 feet away from other vehicles

As a former Gen 1 & 2 owner, I feel terrible for the predicament the current Bolt EV owners are in. I am frankly really disappointed with how their CEO,Mary Barra is handling this debacle. If their only solution is to warn owners about parking outside and not to charge or not charge their cars enough, they should be ashamed. This is not some small company out of someone's garage, and yet they seem to be abdicating responsibility, presently.

GM tells Bolt EV owners to park 50 feet away from other vehicles

As a former Gen 1 & 2 owner, I feel terrible for the predicament the current Bolt EV owners are in. I am frankly really disappointed with how their CEO,Mary Barra is handling this debacle. If their only solution is to warn owners about parking outside and not to charge or not charge their cars enough, they should be ashamed. This is not some small company out of someone's garage, and yet they seem to be abdicating responsibility, presently.
It's GM, is anyone surprised? Then again, there's not a whole lot they can do until they can replace all the recalled batteries. It took NIO a month to replace about 5000, and their batteries were set up for easy swapping, imagine how much time it will take Chevy to replace 140,000?

Last month, on a 4400 mile trip, I ran into a new Bolt owner at a rest stop, and he was so excited about his new car. I didn't want to spoil his day and ask anything about the battery recall, but assumed he got one that hadn't been recalled, .... yet.

Hopefully that is what they do. We are down to one now, a 2021 that was from the repurchase and swap of our 2019 as a result of the first recall. My 2020 went to CarMax right before the latest new broke, so we I could put it toward my M3 LR on order.

I think they simply don't know what to do. I guess they have no batteries, even if they really really want to have them, to fit perfectly in their cars and be safe. My guess is that the best thing they can do is to buy back the vehicles. But that may become prohibitively expensive.

Good thing GM has experience with taking back their EVs and destroying them. Last time it was against their customer's wishes. ;)

Maybe GM can ask their good friends, the oil industry, for some $ to help fund this recall. Or they can sell them some more battery and EV-related patents to sit and block any development.

I think they simply don't know what to do. I guess they have no batteries, even if they really really want to have them, to fit perfectly in their cars and be safe. My guess is that the best thing they can do is to buy back the vehicles. But that may become prohibitively expensive.

It'll be okay. I'm sure they have a stack of Get Out Of Jail Free cards.

things have changed in a few months

I think the only sensible thing for them to do right now is to start a buy back program. Give owners a generous offer to take the car off their hands, and let them get into something else.
They will buy it back if you call corporate and ask. A buddy of mine is getting his bought back and is just waiting for the dealer to call for the return. The terms were VERY favorable.

• Informative
Reactions: ‘Merica and DOCAL
This kinda blew my mind: Honda is signing up with GM and is aiming to sell 70k EVs 2+ years from now.

"The competition is coming!" 😁😆

:D

I suppose GM are re-thinking that plan right about now considering it was with LG Chem.

• Funny
Reactions: alexgr
Perhaps Tesla needs vehicle batteries to be certified/tested before they charge for SuperCharging??
fun, fun
Opening up the SC network for Combo ported legacy EVs is just an Elon gimmick. Tesla is smart enough not to kill the main feature that every non-Tesla EV owner starts missing when taking a long distance trip through sparsely populated areas with chargers in odd and often unsafe locations.