Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I keep wavering back and forth between a Model S and Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pros for getting a Model S
I find the S much more attractive. Plus, I like bigger cars. I've test driven a S and I loved it. I love the smoothness of the ride and the power. The Model S has always been my "dream car".

I went back and forth and back and forth, test drove the S and X many times was originally thinking of going X for the towing. did a little research on my routes and loss of range and dropped the X.

Figured we wont see a 3 the way I wanted it in AWD and White interior. then loose the rebate. I saw the white interior in the one car and really don't care for it leaving the lower sections black.

I went with the 75D S. I just think it is a much nicer car and didn't have to settle for this or that on the 3. just wish I could have seen a real 3 years ago.

Will get the S in about a month. Of course now there releasing the invites to the non owners, so maybe I could have gotten the 3 sooner. I'll keep the 3 and probably wait for the AWD.

Reactions: diplomat33
^^^ This. I was at a supercharging station and a Model 3 showed up. No one even bothered to go look at it, let alone talk to the guy. lol. A few months ago, it would have had a crowd around it.
I was at a supercharger early last December and saw my first 3 there. There were 3 other MS/X at the charger at the same time. The owners had no interest in looking at the 3. The owners were all hovered together talking about how cool they were. Trying to say this in a non-confrontational way, but there seemed to be an attitude of "exclusivity" on the part of the MS/X owners I encountered. They were very nice to me though.

I am totally committed to the 3 rather than the S for various reasons, but among them is, "I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member!"

Last edited:
Human psychology at play here. If you understand it, you can be a master of your fate. Today's latest and greatest iPhone is going to look super awesome until Apple announces the next one. Absolutely nothing has changed with today's phone and yet your brain thinks it's inferior solely because of the knowledge that something else is now better.

But you know what, something else will always be better. So evaluate the S for what it is. My CPO S85 is pretty crappy compared to the new lineup of Model S, but in 2014, I would have thought that was a dream car. and now that I have my CPO S85, it feels like a dream car.

I was at a supercharger early last December and saw my first 3 there. There 3 other MS/X at the charger at the same time. The owners had no interest in looking at the 3. The owners were all hovered together talking about how cool they were. Trying to say this in a non-confrontational way, but there seemed to be an attitude of "exclusivity" on the part of the MS/X owners I encountered. They were very nice to me though.

I am totally committed to the 3 rather than the S for various reasons, but among them is, "I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member!"

Yeah, I can see some owners being that way. I think also other owners are just oblivious too. Some just aren't into cars, just bought the Tesla MS/MX because it looked nice, and aren't enthusiasts. So maybe that plays a part in the ignored M3. I noticed a big shift in the type of owners in the past 2.5 years of ownership (and I'm sure guys who've been owners longer see an even larger contrast).

People used to converse about how cool EV's are, about the technology in the cars, etc. But lately, the supercharger stop feels more like a gas station, people trying to avoid eye contact, and of course, the occasional yelling at people over who got there first to take the next spot.

Today's latest and greatest iPhone is going to look super awesome until Apple announces the next one. Absolutely nothing has changed with today's phone and yet your brain thinks it's inferior solely because of the knowledge that something else is now better.

There is more to it than that, when Apple deliberately cripples your phone with purposeful degraded performance on older models. They have purposely made it inferior (so it's not just a mental thing). :)

If you do not need the range, (which TM3 has a LOT more than the S you are deciding to buy - do not forget that the 310mi EPA is underrated 320ish miles), I would go with S. I am in the same situation but I need the range and the best AP, which will be AP 2.5 soon ( read todays Electrek article). So my only option would be a brand new S 100D which is 2x more expensive. I will rather wait for TM3 and pass the marshmallow test :D

Oh it is? I thought there was no more stalk. So the stalk only goes forward and back and no knob and no up and down? Strange logic to switch those to screen when there is still a stalk.

Correct, the Model 3 has no separate stalk for AP. AP is done from the gear stalk. However, you can still tap the gear stalk to activate and deactivate AP.

• Informative
Reactions: Need
I thought of that of course but how would that work financially? If I got a Model S CPO now, I would have like a $40k car loan. What happens to that loan when I trade in the S?
You have to pay taxes twice :(

I think the S is a nicer car, even an older one will have more room and probably a better ride. But CPO's are more expensive than new model 3's no? I mean even if they are the same the tax credit brings down the price of a new model 3. 10k price difference is 10k which for me is allot of money, you can buy another commuter car like a chevy volt, leaf etc for 10k difference.

But CPO's are more expensive than new model 3's no? I mean even if they are the same the tax credit brings down the price of a new model 3. 10k price difference is 10k which for me is allot of money, you can buy another commuter car like a chevy volt, leaf etc for 10k difference.

I think it depends on what you get. A fully loaded Model 3 is around $60k. Even with the full tax credit, it would still be more than the cheapest CPO which is around $49k. Of course, a $49k Model S CPO is a S 60 with no AP hardware. So the more expensive Model 3 would give you a lot more. If you go for a more expensive CPO in order to get a car with comparable features to a new Model 3, then yeah, I think with the tax credit, the Model 3 would be cheaper.

I think it depends on what you get. A fully loaded Model 3 is around $60k. Even with the full tax credit, it would still be more than the cheapest CPO which is around $49k. Of course, a $49k Model S CPO is a S 60 with no AP hardware. So the more expensive Model 3 would give you a lot more. If you go for a more expensive CPO in order to get a car with comparable features to a new Model 3, then yeah, I think with the tax credit, the Model 3 would be cheaper.
If you consider only CPO cars, then yes. If you are willing to look at other sources for used Model S's, the numbers get much better. It was more hassle looking for deals on Autotrader / Craigslist / Here, but I eventually found a deal that was substantially less than an equivalent CPO car would have been.
-Jim

I own a model S and love it but the S CPO prices right now are a ripoff because of the recent inventory selloff in Q4...It is not a good time to buy a CPO. You could pay about the same price as a LR Model 3 and get a CPO Model S but it likely wouldn't have Autopilot, would be slower, and would already be obsolete as far as tech goes and you would also miss out on the better warranty coverage and tax credit. For 45-50k a new Model3 is a much better deal! Save your money and pay the cash towards a 3 when you are ready.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33

Well I'm comparing the cheapest non black model S I see on their site which is a 2014 (4 years old) 53.4k with 67k miles model S 60 with the old nose cone. No Auto Pilot, probably comparable to a base model with premium package which would be about 41k. But even compared to the extended battery + premium package it's still more money once you add the tax credit (not sure if op would get some tax credit though). And this CPO has hardly any warranty, and has allot of miles. So the S is still a much more expensive car.

My Issue with considering a used S is mostly that I worry about having an earlier model S with no warranty. Things might get expensive to fix fast?

I need a car now so the delay is killing me, although luckily I still have my full size truck that I am driving around everywhere, daily 80 mile commute etc in the meantime. If Elon really cared about the environment he would push my delivery date forward ;)

Is the site right? I just looked. It said a 90D only gets 253 miles of range? How can the 100D get 330 or so when the only 10kwh smaller 90D gets only 253?

Range is a big deal to me. I thought a 90D was comparable to a 3 LR, but maybe it's a 100D? In which case, costwise, it's basically double.