Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I love the Tesla Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oh my. What does it do to the range / what is the improved 0-60.
As with any Tesla/EV (or any vehicle actually!), the way you accelerate & drive has a significant effect on range. Although I have the acceleration boost, this doesn't stop me or my wife driving the car gently or exactly as before. In that case, no impact whatsoever.

My driving profile remains on 'sport' but I do a lot of town driving without hard acceleration & overall range has not changed since new or pre-upgrade. I always charge to somewhere between 80-90% & extrapolating that I still have 310 miles (matches the EPA rating). I also use the Remote for Tesla app which currently shows 88% battery Rated 273m (ie 310m @100%) & Estimated as 285m (ie 324m @ 100% based on my recent driving style).

There have been occasional trips around town where current average usage suggests I would have well over 400 miles remaining based on continuing to drive like that!

The boost takes the Tesla claimed 0-60 of 4.4 sec down to 3.9 sec

However this (nor the SR+) doesn't compare directly with the Performance model - presumably to help differentiate among the ranges/models. Tesla decided to measure the P model with 1' roll-out ie already moving to achieve 3.2 secs. The LR at 4.4/3.9 sec is from a standing start. LR+ boosted models have been consistently measured in the USA at 3.4-3.5 secs using the 1' rollout as per the P model.

Last edited:
However this (nor the SR+) doesn't compare directly with the Performance model - presumably to help differentiate among the ranges/models. Tesla decided to measure the P model with 1' roll-out ie already moving to achieve 3.2 secs. The LR at 4.4/3.9 sec is from a standing start. LR+ boosted models have been consistently measured in the USA at 3.4-3.5 secs using the 1' rollout as per the P model.

And that is on top of that little 5% power tweak that all the Model 3s got in an update late last year .. yet the quoted figures are from before that change so it should be easy for you to match or exceed the original spec... which is nice!

I have a leased LR so don't really have a proper Loot Box on my app. Is there any way I could purchase the upgrade if I wanted to?

And so in addition to just increased acceleration, do I read above that it also unlocks 'Sport' mode?

Ditto the OP's comments and mine is an SR+.
Being an ex Laverda Jota biker and BMW M3 driver of many years, I find the acceleration from lights infectious and pray to be in front on two lane roads to power away very rapidly up to the speed limit where I roll off to find the rest of the gasping ICE's only just dragging their way off the line.
You simply cannot drive like that in an ICE without waking up plod in the next county.

So much damn fun!

Reactions: AnthonyLR
Serious question: How damaging is hard acceleration?

This is my own lack of understanding but I'm aware of the strain you put on an ICE car when you accelerate hard, especially on the clutch and gearbox. How does that translate in the EV world? I can't be great for the motors to put all that power through it instantly but, I assume with the relative simplicity there are simply less things to put under strain when you cane an EV?

Serious question: How damaging is hard acceleration?

This is my own lack of understanding but I'm aware of the strain you put on an ICE car when you accelerate hard, especially on the clutch and gearbox. How does that translate in the EV world? I can't be great for the motors to put all that power through it instantly but, I assume with the relative simplicity there are simply less things to put under strain when you cane an EV?
I doubt it has any real impact on the motors but the extra high current drain will not be good for the battery in theory, but if the P can cope with the same battery pack I doubt it will be an issue in reality. How often will you actually be using the extra?

I doubt it has any real impact on the motors but the extra high current drain will not be good for the battery in theory, but if the P can cope with the same battery pack I doubt it will be an issue in reality. How often will you actually be using the extra?
The other half has already banned me from using it when she is in the car, and we haven't taken delivery yet!

I think the acceleration is a "nice to have" in that if you feel like it you can just mash the throttle and go flying. It should also be added, if your'e a decent driver (which I'm not....) it's actually a safety feature, as it could get you out of trouble quick!

• Funny
Reactions: AnthonyLR
The other half has already banned me from using it when she is in the car, and we haven't taken delivery yet!

I think the acceleration is a "nice to have" in that if you feel like it you can just mash the throttle and go flying. It should also be added, if your'e a decent driver (which I'm not....) it's actually a safety feature, as it could get you out of trouble quick!

I've had my M3P for 7 months. When the missus is on board, I'm banned from anything more than small throttle openings (ooh er missus :))

When she's not, I make up for it.

Both the acceleration and the accessibility of it is just fantastic.

My car is away from me for 10 days having a new bumper (neighbour's kid decided to ram it a couple of times whilst trying to find reverse).

Insurers have given me a 2019 Audi A5 35 tfsi. Absolutely awful car. The only good things about it are it looks very nice from the outside, and it will make the return of my Tesla feel like Christmas.

Reactions: Doudeau
I live near Matlock Bath (for those that don't know, its like Mecca for bikers) and they're always doing stupid things and showing off.

Earlier today one tried to get past... tried being the operative word, don't think he was expecting that at all.

(note I didnt block him and it was perfectly safe albeit taking place directly next to Derbyshires Police HQ..)

• Funny
Reactions: stonecoldrmw