Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I ordered a Performance 3. The car at delivery was an AWD.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know little of cars, except driving it.
I went to a delivery center (not the hub) and showed the sticker and my MVPA. Later, a gentleman talked to me and went inside to check on the vin. He came out with a computer and said the performance is a software upgrade, all he has to do is unlocked the software! He tried to show me lots of information on the car ( I saw words of bindings/inconverts?) which I didn’t understand at all. The bottom line is I could get a refund of the overpayment for something I didn’t get (in about 6 to 8 weeks) or he could unlock the software so I could have performance. I decided to get a refund.

Oh they definitely bin them, as in "You bin an AWD, but now you be a Perf AWD".

So true. That binning thing was total BS
People are saying motors are binned because Elon said that:

Twitter

AC induction front & switched reluctance, partial permanent magnet rear. Silicon Carbide inverters in both. Performance drive units are lot sorted for highest sigma output & get double the burn-in.

Right, we know how full of crap his Twitter posts are... #funding secured

It's a software switch people. $11k.. well, $9k now after a couple random price increases
to turn on

So true. That binning thing was total BS

Right, we know how full of crap his Twitter posts are... #funding secured

It's a software switch people. $11k.. well, $9k now after a couple random price increases
to turn on
Firm disagree.

Parts have variance. There is a guaranteed specification you derate and design with to be conservative. All parts are as good or better than that spec.
Now concider a high power semiconductor with a 20% range of parameters. You can get 10% more performance out of 50% of the distribution (assuming bell curve). So if you sort/ bin/ test the parts you can seperate those on the lower half of the curve from those in the upper half.

Of course the upper half of performance parts can operate at the lower level, but the lower bin parts will not run as cool, last as long, or perform as well if you try the run them is the upper half's domain.

1. Everybody here drives like a grandmother
2. Although there are Model 3s everywhere I have yet to see a performance one (very rare)
3. You can't rev your motor
4. No Model 3 will race you here for some reason

5. Grow up. If you want to know how fast your car is take it to a drag strip instead of gauging speed based on how few cars want to engage in stoplight drag races with you.

Reactions: R1Fast and Msjulie
There are a bunch of performance model 3's in the area, mine included, but you probably don't know it cause w/o red brakes they blend right in...

At the newly opened Los Gatos supercharger,I pulled in next to a silver one with the full red-brakes-and-all upgrade - the place has been open like < 1 week and there were only 2 open spots and mostly 3's charging up.. there might have been other stealth performance models there too

Are you confirming it shows Performance?

If so it doesn’t matter what is on the sticker, although you will want to get an updated one eventually for insurance purposes.
Mine shows a red line under Dual Performance, and certainly seems to drive like a P- so I think I'm good. But my Monroney sticker only lists Long Range Dual Motor, not Performance. How do you get an updated Monroney sticker? Just contact Tesla, or is there some process to follow?

Last edited:
I am quite sure that this is like processor overclocking. Many drivetrains can be "overclocked" to be "Performance" ( far more than the number sold as Performance), but other drivetrains will start misbehaving if "overclocked". That is why all known cases of reassignment between P and non-P have involved a VIN check.

Reactions: mongo
If you want to double check that your P is truly a P and not AWD, i'd suggest the "Speed Logic Lite" app for Android. It's free and gives somewhat accurate 0-60 times (among other things) which you can average after doing a few and you should be right around 3.5s

I am quite sure that this is like processor overclocking. Many drivetrains can be "overclocked" to be "Performance" ( far more than the number sold as Performance), but other drivetrains will start misbehaving if "overclocked". That is why all known cases of reassignment between P and non-P have involved a VIN check.

... what?

P and AWD have identical VINs.

Reactions: Canikony
I just got mine delivered today. Configured M3PD- My spec sheets shows Model 3 Long Range AWD with the Performance Dual Motor AWD $29,000 option.
Tesla screen button show only Long Range Dual Motor (so does my iPhone App). Car does not feel as fast as the Demo car we tried. Went to the service center in San Diego and they assured me I have the performance upgrade based on VIN. Called customer spent over 2 1/2 hours on phone (waited for 1 hour and 30 minutes just to reach someone). They confirmed that I need to take the car back to the service center for a "push" update... software update I asked? Yes, sort of was the answer... Not too happy about this... 10K price and only a software update. Or am I now also missing some added powertrain upgrades as well.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Firm disagree.

Parts have variance. There is a guaranteed specification you derate and design with to be conservative. All parts are as good or better than that spec.
Now concider a high power semiconductor with a 20% range of parameters. You can get 10% more performance out of 50% of the distribution (assuming bell curve). So if you sort/ bin/ test the parts you can seperate those on the lower half of the curve from those in the upper half.

Of course the upper half of performance parts can operate at the lower level, but the lower bin parts will not run as cool, last as long, or perform as well if you try the run them is the upper half's domain.

I don't understand. Are you arguing that there is a thing called binning? I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that the concept exists. But these guys got a software update to make their car a performance. In their case, binning didn't occur. Are you saying their cars are at a disadvantage to other P models because they were binned?

@Perry
You can test your car with a car performance meter like I did, see my OP. If you don’t have access to one, there are quite a few apps for your phone.

What does your phone app have on the main screen? I have exactly the same configuration as yours in the Tesla account, but on the phone app it has the Dual Motor designation (red underline). I think that is the only place you can tell it is a performance version. In the detailed purchase agreement on the Tesla account there is also mentioning of the performance AWD.

I don't understand. Are you arguing that there is a thing called binning? I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that the concept exists. But these guys got a software update to make their car a performance. In their case, binning didn't occur. Are you saying their cars are at a disadvantage to other P models because they were binned?
Tesla produces identical hardware configurations in batches, including batches of cars that can be sold as P-AWDs. That said, Tesla will not let unsold P-AWDs sit on the lot when they can sell them as AWDs. So every P-AWD capable VIN is pre-loaded with AWD software and Tesla loads the P-AWD software as needed. This does not mean every AWD VIN is P-AWD compatible.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: neroden and mongo
That would be a nice option down the road.
I think if this was ever possible, it would never happen unless the risk of pissing off all performance owners was for some reason, a non issue.
Not sure how that would be possible, but who knows.
Anything is possible. :)

Not sure why you think it would piss off performance owners, as long as Tesla charged the same thing for the unlock as they did for the original car. That being said, I still think the motors are binned. There may be a software unlock, but I believe there is a difference in the performance of the hardware, too.

Tesla produces identical hardware configurations in batches, including batches of cars that can be sold as P-AWDs. That said, Tesla will not let unsold P-AWDs sit on the lot when they can sell them as AWDs. So every AWD VIN is pre-loaded with AWD software and Tesla loads the P-AWD software as needed. This does not mean every AWD VIN is P-AWD compatible.

That sounds reasonable, but how would you know this?