Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Ran My MXP90D Down to 0%!! (or negative?)

Has Anybody Run This Low? (0%)

• Yes

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to decide whether or not to try a 208 mile stretch (with no supercharger along the way) in my P100D... I've been really worried about the trip (one that runs from AZ to CO). We mapped it all out (it's a regular trip of ours) and saw that the range seemed plausible (with 2 other superchargers along the way) before we purchased the X. But after my first road trip (on the day the X was delivered) from AZ to CA... I realized that the range isn't really the RANGE. it changes based on all the other factors involved in the equation. So that last stretch with no supercharger was giving me all the worries...
But this eases my mind a little.
There is a detour (30 minutes out of our way) to reach another supercharger... if we just don't want to risk it. But we'd have to decide about half way through our last stretch of the trip. Range anxiety is truly a REAL thing.

5 people and baggage in the X will be another factor!

I live in CO and have a 100D, you should be just fine for a 208 mile trek. If you want to be extra sure, don't drive 80+ on our 75 mph roads, that definitely kills range ;) The only other thing that'll nail you would be heavy wind, which at this time of year is negligible (I'm thinking specifically the Santa Fe<->Trinidad route which can get windy in the springtime).

Edit: And if you're planning to go through the mountains you'll probably be pleasantly surprised to easily make your range--the hills eat it hard on the uphill, but combined with typically slower speeds and easy gains of 20 miles rated on the downhill it balances out surprisingly well.

Edit 2: For comparison purposes I can run Colorado Springs to Breckenridge (210 mi) and back with >10% rated remaining at ~+7mph. So not a perfect rated usage trip, but it'd probably be darned close if I drove the speed limit.

Last edited:
Edit: And if you're planning to go through the mountains you'll probably be pleasantly surprised to easily make your range--the hills eat it hard on the uphill, but combined with typically slower speeds and easy gains of 20 miles rated on the downhill it balances out surprisingly well.

Heading to Telluride... so... VERY much through the mountains!

5 people and baggage in the X will be another factor!
That has very little effect on range. Yes, more than nothing, but not much.

What matters is your speed. You stated you were going 75. If you find that your predicted range is looking like you won't make it to your next charging stop (use the energy graph display!) then just SLOW DOWN.

After that is weather: wet road surface, headwinds, very cold temps. A prolonged strong headwind can seriously impact your range. The in car nav knows nothing abou the weather! The driver has to take that into account.

You correctly noted that your 22" wheels negatively impact your range.

You have great intestinal fortitude!!!

We're not worthy... (at least I'm not).

I get itchy below 90 miles.

I believe I know how your car accomplished this...

Nature abhors a vacuum, (so it could not allow your battery to be empty). That, and Elon's massive ego spilled over and filled your battery and pushed you to your destination.

;-)~~~~~~~

• Funny
Reactions: Peteybabes
Anyone who thinks Tesla should stop with this current battery setup needs to read this post. I love my 90d model x but I had to change rim size to 20's in order to get over 185 per max charge, I can now get close to 230 but that's by myself, on a road trip with the family it's closer to 210 (weather and ascents being the larges variables which can make it go way lower obviously).

We really need a rated range of 400 so we can have 22's and drive on a road trip, we'd get 300 then.

Anyone who thinks Tesla should stop with this current battery setup needs to read this post.
As battery technology improves battery capacities will increase. Right now Tesla has squeezed as many of the currently available/safe/reliable/affordable/mass produced cells as they can into the existing pack space.

There is obviously a market for higher capacity packs. In the future Tesla will offer higher capacity packs. But not this year.