Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I really like Hansshow Ultra Mini Screen Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I don‘t see a practical need for (& have not been a fan of) any of the aftermarket instrument clusters out there. However, the one discussed in this thread has my interest, but only because I think it has a very cool, sleek and OEM look to it. To be perfectly honest, what I like the most about this particular display is the Plaid animation that was recently added/available with their latest software update. If you have not seen it, search the YouTube videos out there and you’ll eventually find one. It’s pretty cool. When enabled, the Plaid animation will start every time you accelerate. This animation will run for about 8-10 seconds, and then the screen will transition back to displaying the default IU/information you’ve selected. I think the Plaid animation needs a little refinement (like running only when the driver initiates a hard acceleration). Currently, the animation starts/runs every time the vehicle accelerates from a stop, even when you slowly accelerate from a stop.

So, yeah for me, this would definitely be one of those purchases that would be form/looks over function. Of course, I can appreciate that others may feel differently and consider a secondary display very practical.

The only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is, reports of not being able to see the information on the screen when wearing polarized sunglasses. Can anyone confirm if this is true with ALL polarized sunglasses? If so, that is a complete deal-killer for me. I’m hoping that those who have reported this problem were using cheap, low quality polarized sunglasses and that this problem does not exist if you have/use better quality, more expensive polarized lenses from manufacturers like Maui Jim, Costa Del Mar, Ray-ban, etc…
For reference, I have owned/used nothing but (quality) polarized sunglasses all my life and have never had any issue with seeing the display/screen in my Tesla or in any other vehicle for that matter. So, when I hear/read that you cannot see the information on this particular aftermarket screen when wearing polarized sunglasses, then I have to conclude that the issue/problem is due to the manufacturer of the screen and not the polarized sunglasses.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I think the other thread you created is not necessary/needed. We can (& should certainly) discuss how sunglasses affect the viewing/functionality of the mini-screen in this thread, since it is very relevant to this particular product. Everyone deserves to know the benefits and pitfalls of this product.

To not discuss or not allow the discussion of potential problems gives the impression that you have created this thread for the sole purpose of promoting/selling the product. To be clear, I’m not accusing you of this… only that this is the impression you give when you say we should NOT post questions/experiences about polarized sunglasses when using this mini-display.

Reactions: zoomer0056
It should be possible to add another polarized screen to rotate the polarization and make it work with your sunglasses, at the loss of brightness.
for a video explaining a similar thing using sugar-water as the circularly polarizing middle layer, but I think you could just do that with another polarized filter at an angle.

I'm not sure what you're asking. It's very viewable just like any instrument clusters from ICE cars. You have to look down for most if not all ICE cars anyway but you can adjust steering wheel height to your comfort for HS screen. You can adjust to look straight or a little bit down (and up as well).

Peter
He's saying it's not a heads up display so its not in line of sight. Therefore you have to look down. It's just a nit to the statement by tom @ ease that the display is "in my [light] of sight when driving". @Candleflame , correct me if I misinterpreted.

Last edited:
you have to look down?
In the area where a ninstrument cluster would be on
He's saying it's not a heads up display so its not in line of sight. Therefore you have to look down. It's just a nit to the statement by tom @ ease that the display is "in my [light] of sight when driving". @Candleflame , correct me if I misinterpreted.
Weird approach if so. There's no harm in simply disagreeing.

Last edited:
Reactions: topboxman
Having or not having an auxiliary screen is really an individual decision. Some find it easier to glance straight down for certain info and some find it no different looking down vs to the right. For the former group, this seems like a pretty good solution other than some of the glitches like non-matching font, incompatibility with polarized glasses, etc. Another plus side is that the design does not block airflow which many other screens do. For the latter group, this screen would serve little value if you find it no different turning to the right vs looking down.

Know this though, any electronics added to your car can void warranty on anything electrical in the car. Even though it is not hooked up to a directly affected system, Tesla can deny warranty. Ask me how I know 😥. For my side repeater camera issues the SC claimed it could be power frunk, power trunk, radar detector powered by 12v socket, etc. All seemed like an extreme stretch for excuses but nonetheless they argued it and it was not pleasant.

I just tested different brands of polarized sunglasses today at local Wal-Mart and not only it doesn't work for Hansshow display but also still show rainbow colors of my Tesla main screen. If I rotate the polarized sunglasses 45 degrees CW or CCW, both Hansshow and Tesla screens looked good.

For those who reported absolutely no issues with Tesla main screen, please tell us the brand and model of your polarized sunglasses 😎.

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited:
I have a total of 7 polarized sunglasses from Maui Jim, Costa del mar and Ray-ban. Absolutely zero issues with any of these sunglasses when viewing the display screen in my Tesla, or the display screen in any other vehicle that I have driven or been a passenger (Audi, Mercedes, Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura, Nissan, Infinity, Ford, Chevrolet, GM, I think you get the point…). No rainbows, no dark areas, no need to rotate these sunglasses 45 or 90 degrees to see everything properly.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I have a total of 7 polarized sunglasses from Maui Jim, Costa del mar and Ray-ban. Absolutely zero issues with any of these sunglasses when viewing the display screen in my Tesla, or the display screen in any other vehicle that I have driven or been a passenger (Audi, Mercedes, Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura, Nissan, Infinity, Ford, Chevrolet, GM, I think you get the point…). No rainbows, no dark areas, no need to rotate these sunglasses 45 or 90 degrees to see everything properly.
Thanks for telling me. I looked at prices of your sunglasses and many of them cost more than Hansshow Mini display screen.

If my $20 polarized sunglasses don't work well with my Tesla main screen and your polarized sunglasses work well, this leads me to believe that your expensive polarized sunglasses could work with Hansshow display, I assume you don't own Hansshow display so you haven't test it with Hansshow display.

I don't want to risk spending over $200 on Ray-ban sunglasses to test with my Hansshow display and find out it doesn't work. I will have to find local sunglasses dealers that sells same sunglasses as yours to test.

My $20 polarized sunglasses work fine with my Samsung S9 Android cell phone.

Peter

Yeah, all of my polarized sunglasses are in the $150-$250 price range. So, as mentioned before, I hope it is only the “cheap”, low quality polarized glasses which have viewing problems with this particular Hansshow screen. However, I have a feeling that is not the case (meaning everyone will have problems seeing this Hansshow screen with any polarized glasses, regardless of brand/model/price).
If so, then that would mean the problem is with the type of screen Hansshow is using in this product. Actually, I don’t think Hansshow is the real manufacturer of this product, but are simply a reseller. This is true for most, if not all, of the products that are sold by Hansshow. I think that is why you can always find the exact same product re-branded & sold by several other companies/resellers.

I still like to try/test this particular product for myself. So, I may try to find a retailer in the US who offers a free shipping/free return policy (like Amazon) and order from them. That way, if I confirm the problem is indeed with the screen/product as suspected, then I can always return it for a full refund with no shipping or restocking fee.

I think Hansshow makes their products because they have been sending me firmware updates via WhatsApp. It's possible they relayed my messages to the actual manufacturer to fix the firmware.

Also, I want to mention that I have a screen protector for my Tesla main screen. It has matte finish with anti-fingerprint. It's possible the screen protector shifted the polarization which may have caused my screen to show rainbow artifacts with my $20 polarized sunglasses. This is my screen protector:

Peter

I think Hansshow makes their products because they have been sending me firmware updates via WhatsApp. It's possible they relayed my messages to the actual manufacturer to fix the firmware.

Also, I want to mention that I have a screen protector for my Tesla main screen.

No, for most of their products, Hansshow purchases the product from another manufacturer and then Hansshow provides/adds the software to run that product. This is their typical business model/practice and how they add value to the products that they rebadge/resell… i.e. they support the product and customers with software updates.

I also have a screen protector on the OEM screen in my Tesla.… purchased from Abstract Ocean.

Last edited: