Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I really like Hansshow Ultra Mini Screen Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, all of my polarized sunglasses are in the $150-$250 price range. So, as mentioned before, I hope it is only the “cheap”, low quality polarized glasses which have viewing problems with this particular Hansshow screen. However, I have a feeling that is not the case (meaning everyone will have problems seeing this Hansshow screen with any polarized glasses, regardless of brand/model/price).
If so, then that would mean the problem is with the type of screen Hansshow is using in this product. Actually, I don’t think Hansshow is the real manufacturer of this product, but are simply a reseller. This is true for most, if not all, of the products that are sold by Hansshow. I think that is why you can always find the exact same product re-branded & sold by several other companies/resellers.

I still like to try/test this particular product for myself. So, I may try to find a retailer in the US who offers a free shipping/free return policy (like Amazon) and order from them. That way, if I confirm the problem is indeed with the screen/product as suspected, then I can always return it for a full refund with no shipping or restocking fee.
I went to Lencrafters to test their polarized sunglasses. They carry Ray-ban and Costa del mar brands. Unfortunately all of them behaved exactly the same way as my $20 polarized sunglasses. But I found one Ray-ban sunglasses that had "Polarized" sticker on the lens and it looked perfect. Rotating the sunglasses 360 degrees didn't result any change which is good and unusual for polarized sunglasses and thought Ray-ban invented a polarized sunglasses to behave like non-polarized sunglasses. I thought that was cool and I bought it for $166.

After I arrived home, I started thinking and got a little skeptical that there's no way for polarized sunglasses to behave like non-polarized sunglasses so I went to Ray-ban web site and entered the part number of the sunglasses I bought and it turned out NOT to be polarized. So I returned it for a refund.

So, no offense but are you absolutely sure your expensive sunglasses are polarized?

Looks like Hansshow needs a display with polarization film oriented 90 degrees out of phase.

Peter

Last edited:
So, no offense but are you absolutely sure your expensive sunglasses are polarized?

Yep, 100% positive that all of my sunglasses are polarized. Below are some of the models that I have. As you can see, the manufacturer has advertised them as polarized (highlighted/circled in red).

AEA21784-1380-46A7-B75B-DEB855F78A34.jpeg

85C03836-C36D-492E-A97E-DB33C666742D.jpeg

I tested about 5 or 6 polarized sunglasses from Ray-ban and Costa and none of them worked well. The Tesla main screen was viewable but showed horrible rainbow or reddish-pinkesh hue when looking straight at the screen. I have to tilt my head about 30 to 45 degrees to get clear image of the screen.

What I was trying to say in my previous post is since you ordered your sunglasses as advertised may not be polarized by accident when you received the sunglasses. You can easily test them by going to sunglasses dealers and they carry polarized film tool. That's what my store did and verified my Ray-ban sunglasses was NOT polarized when the sticker on the lens said it was polarized.

To be on the same page with you, did you say you can rotate your sunglasses a full 360 degrees while viewing the Tesla main screen and nothing changes? Did some angles turn darker and then back to normal? If nothing changes for full rotation of your sunglasses, it's simply not possible. Don't use "dark mode" on your Tesla screen, use "light mode".

Or test with your cell phone. Simply rotate your cell phone while looking through your sunglasses 👓 🕶 😎.

Please don't feel offended, I'm trying to investigate why your and my results are different.

Peter

Last edited:
I like the mini for being able to see the tire pressure all the time instead of trying to remember where to find it on the main screen. Ironically, this was the only thing not working on my mini when I first got it, but their firmware update fixed it.
The Tesla "Plaid Mode" update is also a fun gimmick!
I did make a video on this with some install details and yes, the computer plug-in was a pain. It's easy to unplug with one hand and it seems like it would be easy to plug in the new interface, but it's in such a place that you can't get two hands in there. Once you have it lined up it goes right in and I guess if I had to do it a few times it wouldn't be so bad. I have a 2018 with the older Atom, so I'm not sure how it compares with the newer models. Pulling the steering wheel and dash covers off are really no big deal.

With this said, I'm still not sure I'm going to keep it... I have a yoke steering wheel and I really like the clean look of having nothing there in front of me.

I found out from another thread that my screen protector causes rainbow artifacts when wearing polarized sunglasses. I've tested with many different brands of polarized sunglasses including Ray-ban and Costa. Not all brands screen protectors do that. This is what I use:

Some reviews mentioned rainbow effects.

See this thread:

See post #13. Post #12 is interesting. I'm not sure why my particular brand screen protector causes rainbow effects with polarized sunglasses.

For Hansshow Ultra MIni Display Screen, it appears all brands polarized sunglasses cause black screen when looking directly at the device. That's a bummer. Non-polarized sunglasses work pretty well. I sent the message to Hansshow about this but haven't yet received a response.

Peter

For Hansshow Ultra MIni Display Screen, it appears all brands polarized sunglasses cause black screen when looking directly at the device. That's a bummer.

Thanks for confirming what I feared was true. This obviously renders the Hansshow screen completely useless for all folks who like to wear polarized sunglasses while driving. So, a hard pass for me.

It is very strange that the OEM of this product chose to use this type of screen (that is not compatible with polarized sunglasses). Over the years, I have probably viewed literally thousands of different LCD devices/screens from hundreds of manufacturers and have never run across any device that cannot be seen/viewed with polarized sunglasses.

Whats the verdict on this thing still? It seems like a new gauge cluster gets released every couple of months.

Why cant any show music info?
Why cant any show turn signal cameras?
Don't think fully cloning the main screen was the intention, but as an auxiliary screen instead.

I like the basic features, especially finally having speed, turn signals and tire pressure readings in plain view. Also, I'm not interested in Apple Car Play or Android-Auto.

Peter

I just ordered the rear passenger smaller screen for my model Y. Will provide the kids heated seat control, fan, power seat movement and control over music selection.

This should be interesting :)

Well, I dumped the update file to see what was in the larger package. Looks like a load of JPEG files, and there is a video file. Haven't dug into it much more than that but I think we will be dependent on Hansshow to update.

I installed a Mini Screen in my 2023 Tesla Model Y -- for a month it worked flawlessly. Recently when driving I noticed all the settings reverted to Chinese Language and Metric parameters -- so I went back into the setup and renewed all my settings -- however the system no longer will maintain the 12 hour clock -- it repeatedly reverts to a 24 hour clock -- regardless of reseting once the car is turned off and later startup to drive the clock reverts to the 24 hour military time clock --- anyone else having this problem (1/4/2023) Any solutions?

I installed a Mini Screen in my 2023 Tesla Model Y -- for a month it worked flawlessly. Recently when driving I noticed all the settings reverted to Chinese Language and Metric parameters -- so I went back into the setup and renewed all my settings -- however the system no longer will maintain the 12 hour clock -- it repeatedly reverts to a 24 hour clock -- regardless of reseting once the car is turned off and later startup to drive the clock reverts to the 24 hour military time clock --- anyone else having this problem (1/4/2023) Any solutions?
Try re-installing the firmware.

Peter

OK - just installed. Very easy modification (albeit that you have to tug at a few clips around the steering column pretty hard). Screen looks great now to see if Hansshow can produce a firmware that has "MPH" vs "MP/H".

The screen is small but the main thing is the speed display - having that in front of the driver will make it an easier adaptation for infrequent drivers used to a traditional cluster.

OK - just installed. Very easy modification (albeit that you have to tug at a few clips around the steering column pretty hard). Screen looks great now to see if Hansshow can produce a firmware that has "MPH" vs "MP/H".

The screen is small but the main thing is the speed display - having that in front of the driver will make it an easier adaptation for infrequent drivers used to a traditional cluster.
And also displays tire pressure continously. I feel this is important.

Peter

Installed mine yesterday on my 2020 Model Y (Intel). What a PITA to get that ECU connector attached! I ended up having to remove the other lower connector first to be able to insert the one from this unit.

I'm seeing two issues:
1) Temp is stuck at 32F.
2) Time won't get out of 24hr mode.

Any thoughts on these two issues?

Also, I'm having troubles securing the thing to the wheel (snapping it into place). One clip just won't go in. I didn't think I was THAT weak, but I guess I am. Was thinking I'd try an oil filter wrench with the ratcheting feature, but it's not big enough. Any other suggestions?

Lastly, one of the leather shroud clips doesn't want to stay in place. Can it be bent into position on the bottom side without breaking it? Or, how do you make it more secure?

Oh, and one observation: Although it blends in beautifully, the dash behind it is slightly curved and this unit is straight, making it seem like it is crooked. Just an illusion, but a bit "imperfect". LOL