Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I really want to love the aeros, I just can't.

Which is the look for you?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mod Y Guy

Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2017
California
I just wanted to get some other viewpoints on what people are thinking. I'm definitely going with the Midnight Silver Metallic (yah, some might say boring, but I have my reasons). However, the wheels have been a bit tougher for me to decide on. My first choice, and most likely the one I'll go with, is to upgrade to the 19" sport wheels for the $1,500. I'm not really concerned with the range I'll lose over the 18" Aeros because it's not significant enough to me with my commute and style of driving. I've honestly never liked the Aero "hubcaps" (feels cheap to me; my 1980 Toyota Celica had hubcaps... this is a $50,000+ car). And yah, I realize the 18" alloys underneath aren't bad but I'm not big on the gun metal finish and there's something about the look that doesn't feel right to me. The last option would be to get some of the T Sportline Turbines but I'm not trying to copy the Model S look and the 19" sport wheels just feel a bit more refined to me. I recently turned 40, and am a dad of two younger kiddos, so I'm not trying to go for the "baller" look here. Haha. I'd love to save the $1,500 and go for the 18" Aero/Alloy combo but I keep leaning towards the 19" sport wheels. I had the pleasure of driving the Model 3--with the upgraded wheels--a couple weeks ago (for an entire day) and the ride was smooth and the road noise was quiet. Plus, you don't really give up too much ride quality since it's the difference between a 235/45 18" and a 235/40 19" tire. The roads I frequent here in SoCal are all pretty flat. Well, thanks for reading through my thoughts and please tell me some of your own. I would really like to hear what others are thinking!

19" stiletto wheels.png
18" aeros.png
18" alloy wheels.png
T Sportline Turbines.png

Reactions: hckyplyr
I think they all look good. Tough decision. I changed my vote 3-4 times.

I think the 19" look great, and @DK21 will love them.

I went with the 18" and I probably will keep the aero caps on, but I think I will get the center caps and lug nut covers and also try them without the aero caps. I get two sets of wheels for the price of one this way, but they don't fill the wheel wells like the 19" wheels do.

For the best look and performance, 20" T-Sportlines with summer tires would be awesome.

Yeah, all of these options look great in my opinion.

GSP

I like the aero's fine, but I'll probably take the caps off after the 'new' factor wears off and drive around on the naked wheels (plus the $30 nut and center cap kit), and just toss them on for road trips. I might even swap back and forth now and then ... but even if range and ride comfort were identical, the 19" are not worth the cost increase to me aesthetically versus the 18" (which gives two options for aesthetics for less $$$). Throw in the increased range with aero caps (and possibly even naked) as well as probably better ride comfort... no brainer to go with the "base" wheels to me.

I'm also in the group that wants to like the Aero hubcaps look. Hopefully I'll get used to them with time, or just be too lazy to take them off.
My plan 'B' is to put them on for long trips.
My other consideration is winter wheels. I'll either buy cheap wheels for the winter, or wheels I like for the summer and turn the OEM into the winter wheels.

Of your photos I like the naked 18" the most, though I prefer a little more contrast between the wheels and car color.

One way or another, 18"

Last edited:
I have the same dilemma as you and am also leaning towards midnight silver. For now, and I stress the for now, I feel like I've settled on this: I plan to order with the 19 inch sport wheels and run those as my summer wheels with the all season tires. I then plan to buy the OEM aero winter wheels currently available on the Tesla store and run those as my winter tire set as I'll be less concerned with aesthetics in winter, and it will be in winter when I will most appreciate the range benefits offered by the aero design. I had considered buying with the aero wheels at the start and then moving the all season tires to a set of Tsportline sport wheels, then buying a set of winter tires and mounting, etc, but it seems like a lot of hassle for about $700 in savings after shipping/mounting/etc. It also keeps me on OEM wheels all around which I like for support reasons. I'm also thinking of midnight silver as it's one of the few colors I think works well with both wheels (IMHO).

There's also a purely superficial, utterly silly reason I'm considering doing it this way. If I buy with the aeros at the start, it is those wheels I'll have to always look at on screen or in my app. Stupid I know. Not a deal breaker but something I think about.

There's also a purely superficial, utterly silly reason I'm considering doing it this way. If I buy with the aeros at the start, it is those wheels I'll have to always look at on screen or in my app. Stupid I know. Not a deal breaker but something I think about.

Tesla can easily change your car's avatar for the screen & app. My S came with turbines, but the avatar had base wheels. They fixed it in a pinch once i pointed it out.

I'm going red and I think I'm gonna go with aeros for range and comfort, but try to paint them silver. Would love the 19" but I do care about the range (plan to do a lot of road trips in all weather) and some of the roads I frequently drive are not that smooth. But I'll put on caps only for longer trips.

Don’t love the aero covers, will leave them off except for trips. Curb rash on the covers can’t be repaired but is likely in its life as a local commuter.
This is where I will live...covers off, with the $30 appearance improvement 'package' from Tesla, other than when road-tripping, when I will tolerate the covers' aesthetics in exchange for the range enhancement. This approach will also minimize the impact of my wife's passion for finding curbs.

So funny you posted this last night a few hours after I told my husband I was now opting for the 19-inch. Originally was 19-inch, then switched to 18 areo. I'd like to be fine with them but really like the more S-look of the 19s maybe even at the expense of the ride which is important to me as well. This car has had me all over the place for lots of different reasons and none of them really negative ones.

I haven't participated in the poll because will probably change my mind before invite and ordering just like I do on the color and between first and third production (immediate gratification with Fed credit vs probably what I really want if ICE car holds out). SO many decision choices with too much time to think about! Usually I know what I want off the bat but this one about the car in general is a tough one. I DO know I'll be getting a Model 3 though :).

Reactions: pilotSteve
If the aeros offer any kind of weight or aerodynamic advantage, I'll go with them.
And I'm not a huge fan of short sidewalls. I know they are in fashion, but curbing, ride, tire selection should be better.

If not, I like pic #3, the 'Z06' style 10-spokes. These tend to be a very light and strong design with excellent brake cooling.

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61 and SW2Fiddler
18-inch wheels to save $1500 and better ride comfort. Cheaper tire replacements compared to 19-inch and more options. Will remove the Aero hubcaps immediately and never put them on again, don't need to save the $10 total in supercharging over the course of a road trip. Looks matter more. I don't like the dark look of the 18-inch wheels without Aero caps, so hopefully I can chrome them somehow to match the chrome trim on the rest of the car, with matching nuts and center cap.

Just placed our order for Midnight Silver with the 19" wheel upgrade.

I tried like hell to like the Aeros. Logically the increased range and lower price is a no-brainer. But I also found the photos that OP posted and…I just don't love the way they look.

I also considered the idea of only putting the hubcaps on for long trips. Here's why I think that wouldn't work (for me). On day one, I won't love the look of the rims without the caps. Then after a few months, I'll be irritated at the precious garage space the hubcaps will consume. And eventually I'll get over the looks of my car (it won't feel new anymore) and will just leave them on 24/7. Boom, now I'm driving a car with hubcaps.

Reactions: bpjod