Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I test drove Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD (short review)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to see how I liked the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD as my EDD is not until mid May, so maybe get into a new car sooner. I very much liked the styling. As a matter of fact, I like the overall looks better than the model Y. Seat covers are very nice design, and very comfortable. I liked the 2 separate 12" dash screens, with the speedometer directly behind the steering wheel. Tremendous amount of headroom.

EF32A1DA-08ED-400C-A129-A259CC874FE8.jpeg

I drove the non-glass roof version. You have to upgrade to highest level (Limited) to get glass roof like the Y. Car had good acceleration, and was quiet. It had some features not available on the Y, such as side view mirror, blind spot detection, and had an almost perfect view through rear view mirror - much better than Y.

Frunk had almost zero space to put anything but perhaps the portable charger/cable in there. Also, rear cargo space was visually smaller than the Y. Rear seats are on tracks so you can move them forward or back, and also have recline adjustment (nice feature). The at-home charger supplied with the Ioniq is just 115v, with no option available.

Meaning you must buy your own 220v charger, which I saw online, priced around $400 - $500. Hyundai does give you 2 years free charging at Electrify America, but there are hardly any in my area, the closest being about 30 minutes away.

That was enough to rule out buying the Ioniq 5. Imagine taking a trip and having to rely on chargers that are not abundant, and I have read are often inoperable. Another minus is setting regenerative braking. It must be set each time you start the car - it doesn't stay in the mode when it was turned of - big negative. Sticker price was around $47k. I asked the salesman if they sell at msrp and he said they add $3k to sticker, plus $799 dealer fee. I later called another dealer under the same ownership, and they add $1,799 to sticker, plus dealer fee - a $1,200 savings. SEL models come with 19" wheels, while Limited has 20".

I asked my CPA about getting the $7,500 rebate, and he said I would qualify for part of it based on last years tax return, but didn't know if I could get remaining balance the following year. I thought I read that you could, so if anyone knows for sure, please leave a comment below. The dealer knew nothing about the rebate except that it is $7,500. Considering the rebate, the price of the car comes out to around $42k which I feel is a great deal on this car, if you are willing to put up with charging headaches. And our gov't. in all its wisdom, does not offer an instant rebate, therefore making you pay tax on that $7,500 rebate. I think we will be seeing a lot of these on the road soon. They have really just started to deliver them, so limited availability at this time, but they're on their way.

It will be good for Tesla to have some real competition, especially at this price point, which Tesla cannot touch. One last thing... paint colors. They have a nice variety of colors available. I'm so tired of seeing the same Tesla
colors, year in - year out. Hyundai does offer the top level trim Limited model with full glass roof (with retractable electric cover) , ventilated seats, AWD, and a lot more, but those are priced at around $55k or more and reflect a more direct comparison to the model Y. But minus $7,500.

I hope this review is helpful to those considering an Ioniq 5.

“Hyundai Ioniq 5 NE white (6).jpg” by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
We really live the styling, but the 72kWh battery is too small compared to what is on the market already. We were disappointed when Hyundai released the specs for the battery pack. Looking forward to Hyundai’s Seven (hopefully that gets past concept and they put in a more robust pack)

I live near Scranton PA, not far from you and I have 2 Tesla's.
Don't be so sure that the Hyundai dealer will give you a loaner even for warranty repair, times have changed
So you can't leave the SC with an inspection sticker and need to go to a state inspection center (you have 10 days to get this done). Other than the fact that you leave the "dealer" without a sticker the initial time how is this different from any other vehicle?
Have fun with those EA chargers.

I keep hearing Tesla people saying this over and over again - but after using EA, ChargePoint, and other "non Tesla" AC chargers over the past year with the boss's eTron - I just don't get it. We haven't had an issue. Is this just FUD directed at non-Tesla EVs?

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
I keep hearing Tesla people saying this over and over again - but after using EA, ChargePoint, and other "non Tesla" AC chargers over the past year with the boss's eTron - I just don't get it. We haven't had an issue. Is this just FUD directed at non-Tesla EVs?
There is plenty of anecdotal information out there, especially about EA chargers. I don't doubt that they have gotten better, but in terms of a seamless interface, it's pretty hard to beat the SC network.

Here is just one example -

Reactions: Sixth
My one experience at a non-Tesla DCFC was...uninspiring. Sample size of 1 doesn't mean much, but it fit the pattern of bad non-Tesla charging experiences.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6335608/

Does your boss's eTron support Plug & Charge? Or do you have to fiddle with phone apps / credit cards / phone support? To me Plug & Charge is essential for a decent charging experience, and the non-Tesla EV I liked the most - and almost bought - sadly didn't support it. Which was a serious knock against it for me. (It didn't even support scheduled charging for AC/L2 home charging! But they fixed that recently in an OTA update.)

No. One attempt, end October 2021, used West Lebanon EA. Kona EV. Had problems with a hanging charger. It wasn't just me, a guy with an ID.4 was having problems too. Good customer service, got free charge so we went for lunch and let it charge to 96%.

Do you use app, RFID or card reader? I used the app because $10 for an RFID.

Nope not here to hate. Just as others have stated the SuperCharger network is just much easier and more convenient.

Reactions: voxel
No. One attempt, end October 2021, used West Lebanon EA. Kona EV. Had problems with a hanging charger. It wasn't just me, a guy with an ID.4 was having problems too. Good customer service, got free charge so we went for lunch and let it charge to 96%.

Do you use app, RFID or card reader? I used the app because $10 for an RFID.

We use an app. Completely agree that plug and play (Tesla) is tops. That said, we just haven't had any real issues trying to charge. My experience is also anecdotal - maybe we're just lucky. I'd say 95% of our charging is at home anyway.

Reactions: Arthur31
My wife has owned ID.4 for two months now.. EA has been 3/3.. solid 100% in all attempts.

You are asking the right question though. Whenever a Tesla owner complains about how bad another charging network might be, my first question is when was the last THEY actually used it?

Most Tesla owners complaining about EA have zero experience with it. They are simply spreading something read on a webpage, forum, or saw on a Youtube video.. and it helps to validate their EV purchase. I've pointed this out before: Tesla owners can not even charge at an EA CCS station because Tesla does not sell the proper adapter that's required. And if they did somehow make their own adapter, Tesla just recently enabled CCS charging in the US via an OTA update a couple of months ago. If Tesla owners aren't physically able to use EA CCS.. then how would they possibly know how well it works or not?

We use an app. Completely agree that plug and play (Tesla) is tops. That said, we just haven't had any real issues trying to charge. My experience is also anecdotal - maybe we're just lucky. I'd say 95% of our charging is at home anyway.
I'd wager 95% of the people here also charge 95% or more at home, and also do 99% of their driving well within "out and back home range" too.

It's easy to overindex on the exception case, and lose sight of the norm. People are strange.

My wife has owned ID.4 for two months now.. EA has been 3/3.. solid 100% in all attempts.

You are asking the right question though. Whenever a Tesla owner complains about how bad another charging network might be, my first question is when was the last THEY actually used it?

Most Tesla owners complaining about EA have zero experience with it. They are simply spreading something read on a webpage, forum, or saw on a Youtube video.. and it helps to validate their EV purchase. I've pointed this out before: Tesla owners can not even charge at an EA CCS station because Tesla does not sell the proper adapter that's required. And if they did somehow make their own adapter, Tesla just recently enabled CCS charging in the US via an OTA update a couple of months ago. If Tesla owners aren't physically able to use EA CCS.. then how would they possibly know how well it works or not?
When you take it for long road trip lets say 2k round trip let us know about your experience with EA. Ok? I do agree that most people probably never use their EVs for long trips but ease of charging is major drive to be ICE free household. We took our Tesla for 2k round trip only after 6 month of ownership and charging experience made me believer that EV ( Tesla) future is here so I sold our suv and we have been ice free household ever since.

Last edited:
When I take a 2K road trip.. I get on a plane. Why the hell would I want to be in a car for that long.

There. You have my experience. Ok?
Well, then you have no experience using chargers on a road trip, do you?

I can't comment on EA's network - they have *one* charging station in the entire state of MN. (maybe that's a comment in and of itself.) I've read plenty of posts about people having problems but it's hard to know how prevalent they actually are. I can say that I've found Tesla's SC network to be 100% reliable and much more prevalent.

I'm in no way a Tesla Fanboy, and the prevalence and reliability of chargers depends on your use case, but if we expect EVs (and not just Teslas) to become viable alternatives to ICE vehicles we need a widespread and reliable network of chargers.

Well, then you have no experience using chargers on a road trip, do you?

I can't comment on EA's network - they have *one* charging station in the entire state of MN. (maybe that's a comment in and of itself.) I've read plenty of posts about people having problems but it's hard to know how prevalent they actually are. I can say that I've found Tesla's SC network to be 100% reliable and much more prevalent.

I'm in no way a Tesla Fanboy, and the prevalence and reliability of chargers depends on your use case, but if we expect EVs (and not just Teslas) to become viable alternatives to ICE vehicles we need a widespread and reliable network of chargers.
Ive actually have a lot of experience using chargers on a road trip. The first time I drove my Model Y, it was around 830 miles one-way home from the Tesla dealer in Chicago where I took delivery.. to my home in the DC area. I've also taken it on a couple of weekend trips upstate NY and driven upwards of 1000 miles in a single weekend. Just because I have no desire to be stuck in a car (literally any car) for 2000 miles, doesn't mean I never drive long distances. It means it's not something I definitely do normally doing.. and something I would never use a factor when considering which vehicle I should purchase.

In the same way, towing a boat is not something I normally would not do.. which is why I didn't buy a pickup truck. Or moving stuff in a Uhaul is something I would normally not do.. which is why I didn't buy a Sprinter Van. If I truly needed to get somewhere that requires 2000 miles of driving.. then I'm absolutely looking at a flight as a first option. And if I'm somehow forced to drive, I'm not depending on any EV.. (or charging network).. to accomplish a drive that long. Why the hell would I want to drive 2000 miles in a midsize SUV.. AND spend extra time charging it for that entire distance? I'm going to go Enterprise or Hertz.. renting the biggest, most comfortable ICE SUV.. so that I can ride the most comfort possible.. all while never needing to stop to charge, looking for hotels with chargers, how much battery life I have left, having to stay under 65mph to make it to my next destination or losing 50% of my range because its freezing cold outside.

Its almost like you guys have forgotten that your EV doesn't need to do absolutely everything. My Model Y was definitely not meant to do absolutely everything. And as long it does 99% of the stuff I need it to do on a daily basis then it's a fully justified purchase. And you know what I do 99% of the time? Drive less than 100 miles in a single day or 300 miles in a single weekend. After almost a full year of ownership and 14,000 miles of driving.. I've done 99% of my EV charging at home in my garage. So while I can appreciate the Supercharger network will let me drive coast-to-coast.. I never bought a Model Y with the intention of doing that. I bought it because its cool and can save me a ton of gas driving to work every day. The same reason my wife purchased an ID.4.. as it will save her about $250 in gas every month.

And look I get it. If you live in the middle of somewhere like North Dakota.. or your nearest charging station is in the next state.. or you actually WANT to be stuck in a midsize EV and drive 2000 miles for God knows whatever reason.. then knock yourself. Supercharge your car until the wheels fall off. Just understand that the vast majority of drivers in the US don't care about that crap. And the average commute in the US is still only around 30 miles a day.

I'd imagine half of the drivers in the US right up and down the East & West coasts of the country where there are literally 1000's of EV chargers already built.

Last edited:
I wanted to see how I liked the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD as my EDD is not until mid May, so maybe get into a new car sooner. I very much liked the styling. As a matter of fact, I like the overall looks better than the model Y. Seat covers are very nice design, and very comfortable. I liked the 2 separate 12" dash screens, with the speedometer directly behind the steering wheel. Tremendous amount of headroom.

View attachment 764281

I drove the non-glass roof version. You have to upgrade to highest level (Limited) to get glass roof like the Y. Car had good acceleration, and was quiet. It had some features not available on the Y, such as side view mirror, blind spot detection, and had an almost perfect view through rear view mirror - much better than Y.

Frunk had almost zero space to put anything but perhaps the portable charger/cable in there. Also, rear cargo space was visually smaller than the Y. Rear seats are on tracks so you can move them forward or back, and also have recline adjustment (nice feature). The at-home charger supplied with the Ioniq is just 115v, with no option available.

Meaning you must buy your own 220v charger, which I saw online, priced around $400 - $500. Hyundai does give you 2 years free charging at Electrify America, but there are hardly any in my area, the closest being about 30 minutes away.

That was enough to rule out buying the Ioniq 5. Imagine taking a trip and having to rely on chargers that are not abundant, and I have read are often inoperable. Another minus is setting regenerative braking. It must be set each time you start the car - it doesn't stay in the mode when it was turned of - big negative. Sticker price was around $47k. I asked the salesman if they sell at msrp and he said they add $3k to sticker, plus $799 dealer fee. I later called another dealer under the same ownership, and they add $1,799 to sticker, plus dealer fee - a $1,200 savings. SEL models come with 19" wheels, while Limited has 20".

I asked my CPA about getting the $7,500 rebate, and he said I would qualify for part of it based on last years tax return, but didn't know if I could get remaining balance the following year. I thought I read that you could, so if anyone knows for sure, please leave a comment below. The dealer knew nothing about the rebate except that it is $7,500. Considering the rebate, the price of the car comes out to around $42k which I feel is a great deal on this car, if you are willing to put up with charging headaches. And our gov't. in all its wisdom, does not offer an instant rebate, therefore making you pay tax on that $7,500 rebate. I think we will be seeing a lot of these on the road soon. They have really just started to deliver them, so limited availability at this time, but they're on their way.

It will be good for Tesla to have some real competition, especially at this price point, which Tesla cannot touch. One last thing... paint colors. They have a nice variety of colors available. I'm so tired of seeing the same Tesla
colors, year in - year out. Hyundai does offer the top level trim Limited model with full glass roof (with retractable electric cover) , ventilated seats, AWD, and a lot more, but those are priced at around $55k or more and reflect a more direct comparison to the model Y. But minus $7,500.

I hope this review is helpful to those considering an Ioniq 5.

“Hyundai Ioniq 5 NE white (6).jpg” by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0.
Pretty spot on. The Hyundai is not a bad offering when you consider that the car is most likely built better too (I’m guessing the Ionic5 had zero panel gap issues). It’s worth noting that the blind spot monitor for the Tesla is there - just not an icon on the side mirrors like everyone else. It’s also worth noting that while the Tesla may not show a car in the blind spot via an LED in the mirror - it will autosteer you out of a potential lane change accident if you have the feature enabled. No other OEM does that.

The Tesla is still a much better product in my opinion even with its shortcomings. If the Hyundai was about $10k cheaper it would really be a great alternative but it’s just too close to the 3/Y in cost. Especially when you factor in the Supercharger network.

Reactions: WhiteWi
@Daekwan, I said round trip not one way 2k. So there is no miss understanding.
Its cool dude. I get what you are saying. And I agree.. the Supercharger network is the best charging network. Its the biggest, its the most reliable, its the cheapest/easiest/most convenient to use.

That said, I can't imagine EA's network is that horrible where it's basically unusable. If anything here you go.. 2000 miles of driving cross country.. in a Model S Plaid (which makes it even crazier).. and pretty much exclusively using EA's CCS network. All with basically no issues whatsoever.

You guys might want to start re-thinking.. just how bad you think EA's charging network might be. Or at least find some new Youtube videos to watch.

This is good news for all of us. For every EV owner. The more charging networks, the better. EV chargers should be as common as gas stations in the next 10 years.. and Im rooting for EA.. just like Im rooting for Superchargers and everybody else who wants to build a charger. The more the merrier!

Last edited:
The Tesla is still a much better product in my opinion even with its shortcomings. If the Hyundai was about $10k cheaper it would really be a great alternative but it’s just too close to the 3/Y in cost. Especially when you factor in the Supercharger network.
Thats my only real gripe with the Ioniq5. Its much more expensive than I figured a Hyundai EV would be. You basically start at $47K for the 77kWh RWD version and the interior looks really cheap in that model. SEL trim is the most popular.. but if Im getting rid of my Model Y for a Hyundai then I want the fully loaded version and you are talking over $55K. At that point, might as well keep the Tesla. Even without considering the Supercharger network.. the depreciation on the Model Y alone still makes it a better buy IMO.

If the Hyundai were $10K cheaper.. I"d be trading my Model Y for it right now.

Its cool dude. I get what you are saying. And I agree.. the Supercharger network is the best charging network. Its the biggest, its the most reliable, its the cheapest/easiest/most convenient to use.

That said, I can't imagine EA's network is that horrible where it's basically unusable. If anything here you go.. 2000 miles of driving cross country.. in a Model S Plaid (which makes it even crazier).. and pretty much exclusively using EA's CCS network. All with basically no issues whatsoever.

You guys might want to start re-thinking.. just how bad you think EA's charging network might be. Or at least find some new Youtube videos to watch.

This is good news for all of us. For every EV owner. The more charging networks, the better. EV chargers should be as common as gas stations in the next 10 years.. and Im rooting for EA.. just like Im rooting for Superchargers and everybody else who wants to build a charger. The more the merrier!

100% with you on that.

Reactions: Daekwan