Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I test drove Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD (short review)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to see how I liked the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD as my EDD is not until mid May, so maybe get into a new car sooner. I very much liked the styling. As a matter of fact, I like the overall looks better than the model Y. Seat covers are very nice design, and very comfortable. I liked the 2 separate 12" dash screens, with the speedometer directly behind the steering wheel. Tremendous amount of headroom.

EF32A1DA-08ED-400C-A129-A259CC874FE8.jpeg

I drove the non-glass roof version. You have to upgrade to highest level (Limited) to get glass roof like the Y. Car had good acceleration, and was quiet. It had some features not available on the Y, such as side view mirror, blind spot detection, and had an almost perfect view through rear view mirror - much better than Y.

Frunk had almost zero space to put anything but perhaps the portable charger/cable in there. Also, rear cargo space was visually smaller than the Y. Rear seats are on tracks so you can move them forward or back, and also have recline adjustment (nice feature). The at-home charger supplied with the Ioniq is just 115v, with no option available.

Meaning you must buy your own 220v charger, which I saw online, priced around $400 - $500. Hyundai does give you 2 years free charging at Electrify America, but there are hardly any in my area, the closest being about 30 minutes away.

That was enough to rule out buying the Ioniq 5. Imagine taking a trip and having to rely on chargers that are not abundant, and I have read are often inoperable. Another minus is setting regenerative braking. It must be set each time you start the car - it doesn't stay in the mode when it was turned of - big negative. Sticker price was around $47k. I asked the salesman if they sell at msrp and he said they add $3k to sticker, plus $799 dealer fee. I later called another dealer under the same ownership, and they add $1,799 to sticker, plus dealer fee - a $1,200 savings. SEL models come with 19" wheels, while Limited has 20".

I asked my CPA about getting the $7,500 rebate, and he said I would qualify for part of it based on last years tax return, but didn't know if I could get remaining balance the following year. I thought I read that you could, so if anyone knows for sure, please leave a comment below. The dealer knew nothing about the rebate except that it is $7,500. Considering the rebate, the price of the car comes out to around $42k which I feel is a great deal on this car, if you are willing to put up with charging headaches. And our gov't. in all its wisdom, does not offer an instant rebate, therefore making you pay tax on that $7,500 rebate. I think we will be seeing a lot of these on the road soon. They have really just started to deliver them, so limited availability at this time, but they're on their way.

It will be good for Tesla to have some real competition, especially at this price point, which Tesla cannot touch. One last thing... paint colors. They have a nice variety of colors available. I'm so tired of seeing the same Tesla
colors, year in - year out. Hyundai does offer the top level trim Limited model with full glass roof (with retractable electric cover) , ventilated seats, AWD, and a lot more, but those are priced at around $55k or more and reflect a more direct comparison to the model Y. But minus $7,500.

I hope this review is helpful to those considering an Ioniq 5.

“Hyundai Ioniq 5 NE white (6).jpg” by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta say I very much dislike the exterior styling of the Ioniq 5. I much prefer the look of the VW ID.4 and even the Kia EV6, but hey to each his own. Thanks for this short comparison review though.

I agree. Most cars I’m indifferent about the looks with some I really like. However, I just can’t get over the Ioniq 5 exterior and I’m surprised that many people like it. Maybe it looks better in person, but based on photos I would definitely go with the EV6 over the Ioniq 5.

Reactions: gtae07
Something many Tesla owners don't realize is that most other EVs don't have nearly the same level of phantom drain that Tesla's do. Under some circumstances/use cases I am sure that could help make it more practical for those without home charging. Still a pain though for sure.

Reactions: Daekwan
I agree. Most cars I’m indifferent about the looks with some I really like. However, I just can’t get over the Ioniq 5 exterior and I’m surprised that many people like it. Maybe it looks better in person, but based on photos I would definitely go with the EV6 over the Ioniq 5.
It is a very 80's retro look. Some will love it, some will hate it. I personally love the look, but am put off by the (large) size of it. If I was looking for a CUV though, this would be near the top of my list to check out.

Something many Tesla owners don't realize is that most other EVs don't have nearly the same level of phantom drain that Tesla's do. Under some circumstances/use cases I am sure that could help make it more practical for those without home charging. Still a pain though for sure.

I lose like 1 or 2 miles per night on my 22 MY. Maybe it's the modest ambient temps or use of no-sentry-when-at-home, but I don't find any draining issues...

Reactions: 73Bruin
I lose like 1 or 2 miles per night on my 22 MY. Maybe it's the modest ambient temps or use of no-sentry-when-at-home, but I don't find any draining issues...
Same on my 18 M3. But for people that only drive a little every week that can add up. Also, if you screw up and leave any persistent things on (sentry, etc) the drain is huge over a few days.

Reactions: Daekwan
I think that is a reflection on other manufacturers just making cars that happen to be electric....a Tesla is an altogether different beast

Other EVs don't have Sentry and I've heard much worse drain for the Mach-E and Ioniq 5 in cold temps trying to protect the battery from freezing.

I don't think drain is a major issue because other EVs will have (or experiencing) it when they implement similar features as Tesla.

I think the Ionic5 and EV6 are two of the best looking new cars on the market - each in their own way. The local Hyundai dealership has a couple in stock, I keep meaning to get over there and check them out. Hopefully they sell a ton of each.
I think the Ionic 5 and EV6 look good too, though I have not seen them in person. I do find that the EV6 look more and more like the Nissan Ariya and Toyota bz4x/Subaru Solterra every time I see pictures and videos of it. It almost seem like everyone arrive at roughly the same point once they did all the aerodynamic work or something.

Out of curiosity I looked up EA chargers in Minnesota - there's one. Yup, a single EA charging station in the entire state, and it's in a far eastern suburb of St. Paul (9 miles from the Wisconsin border, actually.) I looked in Wisconsin and there's a total of 4.

There are other chargers around, but since EA is one that many companies are partnering with they'd better up their game.
Really? Only one EA station in MN? You're talking about the one in Woodbury right? It's like one minute drive from my work and about 10 minutes from my house. I guess I'm well covered here with the one EA station and the Oakdale supercharger, even though I will rarely use them.

Reactions: sleepydoc
For what it's worth, there haven't been any negative reviews on the Ioniq5 or EV6 (I'm more excited about the Kia in fact). Exciting to see what the next 18-24 months will bring in new EV entrants.
I agree... I happen to think the Kia looks much nicer then the Ioniq, but taste is subjective!

I'm wondering how the safety reports on the Hyundai and Kia are... one thing that isn't mentioned much, but that I find very important, is the NHTSA safety report on Tesla's... do the Hyundai's and Kias stack up as being as safe?

I am not seeing a significant amount of "phantom drain" on my Dec.2020 LRMY. If I leave it unplugged in my garage with sentry mode off, the range seems to drop perhaps 1 mile per day of non-use. I don't think that this is even worth worrying about.

I am not seeing a significant amount of "phantom drain" on my Dec.2020 LRMY. If I leave it unplugged in my garage with sentry mode off, the range seems to drop perhaps 1 mile per day of non-use. I don't think that this is even worth worrying about.
I haven't seen many/any posts about "phantom drain." I have seen a lot of posts about sentry mode, etc, but that's not phantom drain, that's just a feature of the car that requires energy, just like the heated seats or A/C.

I haven't seen many/any posts about "phantom drain." I have seen a lot of posts about sentry mode, etc, but that's not phantom drain, that's just a feature of the car that requires energy, just like the heated seats or A/C.
Exactly. Not sure where @smogne41 is getting his info on 'phantom drain' but it certainly hasn't been an issue with my car at all.

Reactions: 73Bruin
I hate dealerships and their pricing games too, but let's be honest Tesla has been steadily raising the price of the same car they were manufacturing a year ago based on demand and ability to meet it. That's exactly what the Honda dealership (thought) they were doing.

That said, yeah to hell with paying over MSRP! I hate the whole dealership system. It's infuriating and needs to die.
I predict that dealerships will one day simply become service centers. I hope we, as the market, force it on them. The whole sales pitch, mark ups for nonsense, etc. is a racket and nothing else.

Reactions: Bouba and LoudMusic
The Credit is on the FRONT of 1040A. it does NOT reduce your tax owed. It reduces your gross income like if you put 7500 into a 401k your W2 at year end shows you made 7500 less
No, that's absolutely not how it works, its nothing like a 401k, which reduces your taxable income at whatever income bracket your effective tax rate is computed for the year. Example - reduction of 7500 in taxable income, tax rate at 30%, would mean a reduction of 2250 on your tax owed. Your employer should be calculating this when they pay you, and drop the money into a 401k.

EV credit is a straight dollar for dollar reduction of your federal tax liability. The max today for a qualified vehicle is 7500, which is not applicable to any current Tesla model. If your federal tax liability is $5000 for the year, that's the amount you can claim. If you already paid that $5000 to the federal government, you will get a refund for $5000. If you haven't paid it, the EV credit will provide the necessary offset and your obligation to pay will be zeroed (up to 7500).

It's also why say buying an EV and putting it in the name of your teenage kid won't work unless they pay federal taxes.

Last edited:
I gotta say I very much dislike the exterior styling of the Ioniq 5. I much prefer the look of the VW ID.4 and even the Kia EV6, but hey to each his own. Thanks for this short comparison review though.
I LOVE the Ioniq 5! I still have to go with Model Y tho. Best one for me, all things considered. Dying to drive the Ioniq 5 though. Dying to see my first one in person even.

I like both. I kinda like the ioniq 5’s retro boxy rally racer styling. Also like EV6’s smoother exterior.
Happy to see Hyundai take extra care in to reducing cabin noise and Sandy already noted the impressive exterior build quality on his first video. Can’t wait for him to get cars to take apart. Hoping these two force Tesla to improve their “mid range” lineup consisting of 3 & Y. Just like Tesla’s efforts nudged GM to make the Volt…the legacy players might be nudging back finally.

Reactions: Corndart