Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I just wasted $7,000 on FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For starters Elon Musk says whatever he thinks without regard to fact. He historically over promises and under delivers, which is weird since people make purchases based on his statements and rarely seem to complain . Also weird that he is rarely held accountable despite leading an SEC registrant.

I hope I don’t offend any fan boys, but you know it’s true. It is unwise to make a purchasing decision based on his promises or mention of future offerings.

I've been a multi Tesla owner for years but TMC can at times be a total bubble and even the mods here can go overboard to levels of insuring groupthink.

Does anyone think they won't be able to buy FSD later or at a lower price? Besides, every year of non use adds to the pre purchase cost. Let's say you pay $7K and have the car 5 years, that's $1400 a year but if it's not functional for the first 2 years then it's $1750 a year. Is it even fully functional after those 2 years? It starts to get silly as FSD has been offered at various discounts and if few pre-ordered they would drop the price significantly but many are being sucked into hype. Let's see how much value one is getting today from a first release 3 with still not real FSD function. I do want to thank you al for increasing company earnings but again that $7K would have better invested in Tesla stock and could even possibly buy a new car but the time FSD is really working in a meaningful manner. Selling a 3 with FSD in a year with no sign of full release will be a big depreciation hit as well. Let's also be honest, the $7K is really supposed to be FULL self driving not INCREMENTAL assisted driving. Your dollar many vary.

Decided not to purchase FSD on my SR+. I got the thing for less than $35k (destination included) after fed/state incentives and it will be paid off by December (18 months after purchase).

I drive ~5k miles a year on city streets so FSD is pretty much useless. Basic AP works extremely well for my commute.

I’ve got far more important/fun things to spend $7k on.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I am going on record here that FSD will continue to improve and in about 5 more years it will be determine that it's just not going to work taking the approach they have been, so FSD will have to be completely reimagined, and/or governments will lose their patience with self-driving and ban it after some important people are killed by it.

One YouTuber came up with the only good justification IMO for buying FSD now which is just the fun of being part of this deadly experiment, but not actually getting a working product for your money.

It will be interesting to see what happens, but no way am I going to pay $7K for the fun of the experiment. I expect to at least get free product to be a guinea pig.

If you think I am way off base, ask yourself, knowing what you have experienced with AP and FSD, how long it would take for you to feel comfortable riding in the back of a Model 3 with no driver as you head down some pretty hairy city freeways and difficult construction zones in bad weather conditions.

Fortunately, I don't think the stock price or future of Tesla is dependent on FSD working to the point that RoboTaxi's will be a reality.

• Funny
Does anyone think they won't be able to buy FSD later or at a lower price?
I am banking on either a subscription model or them unbundling the different features (i.e. being able to pay individually for auto lane change, basic summon, parking assist, smart summon, NoA). IMO the reason FSD isn't worth it right now is that it bundles features you don't need or won't even work for you (NoA would work on < 20 miles of my 85 mile/day commuting for instance) with some other things you might actually be willing to pay for. I'd find $3K for auto lane change + autopark + dumb summon, but $7K for that and a feature that wouldn't even work for me 75% of the time is a bridge too far.

I am responding to the quote above. Sorry, I'm a newby, and hit reply before I had written my response.

I purchased my Model 3 in June 2019. I have turned off all autopilot features, and am very careful not to accidentally turn on cruise control, which is easy to do. I have found these features to be way too dangerous, because of unintended accelerations (currently under investigation by NHTSA.) I suggest looking up complaints on the NHTSA website, and read news reports about deaths by Tesla.

Also check out Tesladeaths.com and TeslaDeaths.com: Digital record of Tesla crashes resulting in death.

Before I stopped using autopilot, I had to intervene frequently. My M3 would:
Weave around the lane, or drive too close to one side of the lane on the freeway,
Veer out of the lane, following an old, blacked out lane after new construction,
Drive too fast, and take me into a mass of traffic, instead of keeping some distance from the pack, when that would be the safer thing to do,
Slow down after signaling for a lane change, and never change lanes; so that after getting honked at, I had to intervene, and change lanes by myself
Miss exits
Miss red stoplight on a freeway onramp
Accelerate into traffic at a red light, after stopping.
Veer into oncoming traffic when using summon function.
Go forward into traffic when using summon from behind my car (just to back the car a bit further into the parking spot.)

In short, I had to intervene WAY TOO OFTEN, in order to avoid an accident.

I spoke to numerous people at Tesla, after each of these malfunctions, and I was told that "the car is functioning as designed." "It's in Beta." One technician told me that he does not believe that FSD will occur, ever! (He didn't even say "in my lifetime," and he's a young guy.)

I came to the conclusion that Elon Musk knows very well that the cars he is selling today will never have FSD. He settled out of court on a class action lawsuit, because earlier cars had a promised date for when FSD would occur. The attorneys made out very well, because they got half of the multimillion dollar settlement. Each plaintiff got between $20 and $200, depending on how long they had owned their car. Tesla, Inc. knows that they money for future FSD is really just funding the development of future cars. He knows that he should be paying Beta testers, but instead he charges them. People should consent to use these Beta features to benefit Tesla, instead of being charged for them.

Now that he no longer specifies an exact date for when FSD will occur, he can't be sued for missing the deadline. But as our cars age, and newer models have more and more sensors and cameras that could move the cars closer to FSD capability, ours will no longer be upgradable, and we will have spent the money for nothing.

When I bought my car, I thought it would soon be able to drive me across the country, while I slept or watched a movie. I thought it would be able to take me places after I was too old to drive myself. Now I am convinced that that will never happen in my lifetime, and I am both disappionted and angry. I feel cheated.

I also feel cheated that the salesman did not inform me of the features that came standard. I thought autopilot was only available if I purchased FSD. So I also feel like a sucker.

For those who are thinking about purchasing FSD, my advice is: "Don't do it!" It is not worth the money. Also, be very careful. Watch the road and keep your hands on the wheel! Autopilot may be the cause of your death, that of someone you love, to a policeman or firefighter, or innocent bystander. And finally, don't use the "Hold" Stopping Mode, because you never put your foot on the brake; and because you don't put your foot on the brake, Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) never disengages when you get off the freeway, and therefore the car may accelerate unexpectedly at a stoplight once you are back on city streets.

Without autopilot functions, the car is a delight! So enjoy!

But no one is calling it feature complete. I'm confused as to what you're talking about.

I posted earlier in this thread what was shown to early purchasers...

Then last year it was changed to this...

Elon Musk: Tesla will have all its self-driving car features by the end of the year

now recently he has changed it to “some nonzero chance...”

Tesla Q4 2019 earnings call: 'Full Self-Driving', battery day and insurance discounts - Roadshow

no disrespect intended but I really don’t have time to keep looking this stuff up and posting links. If you are going to insist on arguing with me in the face of clear evidence you should, in my opinion, at least look up what Elon has been saying the last few years and how it keeps moving the goalposts.

I feel the same way when I’m zipping around for fun, but on a long 14-hour trip from SoCal to Oregon I found that the FSD did an INCREDIBLE job of reducing driver fatigue.
Just to be clear, you're using Autopilot or perhaps navigate on Autopilot but not FSD . Only Elon and Tesla test vehicles can use FSD at this point.

Last edited:
"Numerous"? Like? Promises? I am should sell those my clients would love that. I can sell everyone some Kool Aid that doubles your hair growth more that what Tesla is serving up but remember Musk has hair plugs.
So:

Auto Lane Change
Navigate on AP
Summon
Auto park

Those are fantasy features? It appears you got burned by Tesla somewhere and somehow. But you’re just being irrational to claim a buyer gets nothing if they buy today’s FSD offering. It’s one thing to argue it’s value, but arguing it’s existence is just weird.

Reactions: EinSV and JeffnReno
I took my P3D+ out for a two-hour shakedown ride on the highway and I had so much fun that I realized that I will seldom use FSD - no matter how cool it is. The reason is that this is indeed a driver's car - and I consider myself to be a car snob having owned Porsche, BMW and Benz - and having driven them, shall we say, with spirit.

The thing that was most surprising was an immediate sense of trust. The car is easy to predict, even on wet roads, it corners like a champ and powers out of turns like a supercar. This is to say nothing of the 0-100 mph performance. The car is eager to please, rock-solid and confident. I am looking forward to getting it out to the track to see what 160+ mph feels like

Anyhoo - After I got back from my ride, I noticed two things. 1. I didn't use the FSD features once. 2. My face hurt from smiling.

Now I know longtime Tesla owners are like - "yeah, no $h!t, welcome to the club newbie." But please allow a newbie a few more weeks of fanboyish exuberance before it all settles down and I find something to complain about.

I know how you feel. But during stop and go traffic I think it's really awesome. It also feels safer (the current version - btw scary and dangerous are also different, the car could make a sudden move that feels scary but is safe) as things are slow and it has all the cars around it for knowing the roads.

Reactions: JeffnReno
So:

Auto Lane Change
Navigate on AP
Summon
Auto park

Those are fantasy features? It appears you got burned by Tesla somewhere and somehow. But you’re just being irrational to claim a buyer gets nothing if they buy today’s FSD offering. It’s one thing to argue it’s value, but arguing it’s existence is just weird.

Auto Lane Change is a gimmick that forces you to click the blinker manually and takes forever to actually change lanes.

Navigate on autopilot.... there are dozens of videos on YouTube showing it missing interchanges and off ramps, so not very reliable.

Summon is an even bigger gimmick. Barely functional in an empty parking lot let alone a busy one. I'd seriously worry about liability with this one.

Auto park seems to work sporadically and multiple videos on YouTube showing it riding up on the curb.

So that's what you're paying $7k for. And a promise that someday the car will drive itself

• Funny
Auto Lane Change is a gimmick that forces you to click the blinker manually and takes forever to actually change lanes.

Navigate on autopilot.... there are dozens of videos on YouTube showing it missing interchanges and off ramps, so not very reliable.

Summon is an even bigger gimmick. Barely functional in an empty parking lot let alone a busy one. I'd seriously worry about liability with this one.

Auto park seems to work sporadically and multiple videos on YouTube showing it riding up on the curb.

So that's what you're paying $7k for. And a promise that someday the car will drive itself
Autopark I agree doesn't work that well.

Auto Lane change is great, a recent update made it work really fast instead of the slow change previously. Plus you can turn off the need to confirm the Lane change if you want.

Summon has gotten a lot better but they got a ways to go from a simple gimmick .

NOA works well for me but I have missed two interchanges a couple of times, less than driving myself lol. Many things could be improved and improvements come out all the time. I don't regret purchasing the FSD package.

I just think they should focus on the features they have instead of selling the promise. They've had autopark since autopilot came out like 5+ years ago on the Model S and it still sucks. Why haven’t they focused any effort on that?

And enhanced summon is a joke, which they said was working for about 6 months before it actually did then used it to justify a $1,000 increase to the price even though it's barely functional.

I love my car don't get me wrong, but this is one of the snake oiliest things they sell. You really are paying for something because you think it'll get better in the future not because of what it does right now.