Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I'm going to turn OFF cabin overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It absolutely was introduced as a safety measure for kids and pets. The safety of the electronics seems like more of a myth. I don't remember any Tesla announcement about it. Links for that?

Here's the article with the release notes for Cabin Overheat Protection:

Tesla v8.0 software update is being pushed right now, all the details and full release notes - Electrek

"
Cabin Overheat Protection
In an industry-first safety measure, we’re also introducing Cabin Overheat Protect, focused on child (and pet) safety. This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature for hours, even when the car is off. This feature is only made possible by an electric vehicle with Tesla’s uniquely large battery packs."
That kinda seems like a mic drop.

Because it took them time to collect enough data to determine how much it would cost them in warranty claims.

Took them the same amount of time to collect enough data to determine they could boost performance by 5 percent in an update without incurring a fortune in warranty costs.

Your answer seems reasonable I’m terms of we know that Tesla collects data to make decisions such as the prior power increases. The problem is that if the theory is that they created the overheat protection to protect electronics because they found that heat was an issue then why did they not do one or both of the following:

• Not allow you to turn it off
  • Tell people that the overheat protection could prevent damage to electronics
If they want to save warranty repairs why create a solution and then be mysterious about it and make it optional? How does that serve their goals? I’m not saying that you are wrong but if you are right then Tesla is handling this in a really silly and bizarre manner.

Craig

Your answer seems reasonable I’m terms of we know that Tesla collects data to make decisions such as the prior power increases. The problem is that if the theory is that they created the overheat protection to protect electronics because they found that heat was an issue then why did they not do one or both of the following:

• Not allow you to turn it off
  • Tell people that the overheat protection could prevent damage to electronics
If they want to save warranty repairs why create a solution and then be mysterious about it and make it optional? How does that serve their goals? I’m not saying that you are wrong but if you are right then Tesla is handling this in a really silly and bizarre manner.

Craig
He’s wrong. Tesla released this feature in response to a few high profile infant deaths from being left in a hot car. Tesla still advertises it on their website as a safety feature.

For me? It's worth it because getting in to a hot car SUCKS.

Another thing that sucks? How long it takes to wake up Model 3 (when compared to S & X) to precool the cabin when walking to the car. Half the time that I remember, I'm to the car by the time it wakes up.

Thus, this is a nice balance that helps solve the first problem until they address the second.

turn the aircon on 5min before you get into the car?

He’s wrong. Tesla released this feature in response to a few high profile infant deaths from being left in a hot car. Tesla still advertises it on their website as a safety feature.
Not so! Tesla had problems with cabin overheating due to the solar effect of the glass roof and so much black in the interior. If you read what Tesla says in the manual, they state exactly the opposite. That you should never leave children and animals in the car even with cabin overheat turned on. Besides 105° is lethal to animals and babies left alone in your Tesla by irresponsible idiots for parents.

The heat damage to the interior is well documented and personally I have the glue in the materials in the seat dripping onto the floor when I forget to reset the Cabin overheat protection in the morning because Tesla shuts it off after 12 hours.

It actually does a pretty good job and the manual states that it will maintain temps at 105°F with only the fan to circulate the outside air. No AC until the temperature exceeds 105° Running the AC will be louder and drain much more battery if your climate is that hot that it needs to run the AC plus the fan.

As for LCD screen heat damage, I have not experienced that yet. But I have several after market stick on LCD displays for clock and temperature etc. the screens do get damaged and I need to replace them. I have also left a dash cam with color screen that was ruined in the cabin. I now make sure I remove that expensive camera when not in use.

The solution I see is a simple way for us to set the Cabin Overheat protection to bypass that 12 hour timer. It still has the 20% battery SOC off switch for range protection.

BTW- I also added a Ceramic film to the glass interior and that helped according to my before and after measurements. Unfortunately the car is so well insulated that eventually the heat builds up and if the cabin overheat is not running, the temps can be excessive, as high as 145°F at times.

• Funny
Reactions: Jo060
Not so! Tesla had problems with cabin overheating due to the solar effect of the glass roof and so much black in the interior. If you read what Tesla says in the manual, they state exactly the opposite. That you should never leave children and animals in the car even with cabin overheat turned on. Besides 105° is lethal to animals and babies left alone in your Tesla by irresponsible idiots for parents.

The heat damage to the interior is well documented and personally I have the glue in the materials in the seat dripping onto the floor when I forget to reset the Cabin overheat protection in the morning because Tesla shuts it off after 12 hours.

It actually does a pretty good job and the manual states that it will maintain temps at 105°F with only the fan to circulate the outside air. No AC until the temperature exceeds 105° Running the AC will be louder and drain much more battery if your climate is that hot that it needs to run the AC plus the fan.

As for LCD screen heat damage, I have not experienced that yet. But I have several after market stick on LCD displays for clock and temperature etc. the screens do get damaged and I need to replace them. I have also left a dash cam with color screen that was ruined in the cabin. I now make sure I remove that expensive camera when not in use.

The solution I see is a simple way for us to set the Cabin Overheat protection to bypass that 12 hour timer. It still has the 20% battery SOC off switch for range protection.

BTW- I also added a Ceramic film to the glass interior and that helped according to my before and after measurements. Unfortunately the car is so well insulated that eventually the heat builds up and if the cabin overheat is not running, the temps can be excessive, as high as 145°F at times.

You brought a thread that was almost 3 years old prior to the last post in it, to contradict information that is specifically from tesla about the feature mentioned, in the thread? The electrek article mentioned, (from 2016 no less) states that the Patch notes (from Tesla itself) say:

========================================

Cabin Overheat Protection
In an industry-first safety measure, we’re also introducing Cabin Overheat Protect, focused on child (and pet) safety. This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature for hours, even when the car is off. This feature is only made possible by an electric vehicle with Tesla’s uniquely large battery packs.

============================================

Yet you are going to state that tesla did not put this forth focused on child and pet safety?

Again provide objective evidence of excessive heat damage or get off your irrelevant soapbox. You have already been proven WRONG!