Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I was going to race a MS P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My buddy has his Model 3 in the shop so they gave him a loaner car (Model S P60D). I said, “Let’s race”!

He said I should take a ride first in the P60D. OMG!!! I didn’t want to race anymore. My brain was squashed into the rear of my skull. The launch felt twice as strong as my Model 3.

I wonder if the later M3’s will be similar with upgrades.

Reactions: Arpe
I have an S85. The 3 barely beats it, but in a weird way. the S85 will jump ahead at the start, and the 3 will chase it down.

I haven't driven a model 3 yet, but I've heard that they are less potent right-off the line but pull hard once you get rolling a little so I'm not surprised about what you said. I think it has to do with the permanent magnet motor in the 3 vs. the induction motor of the S.

I haven't driven a model 3 yet, but I've heard that they are less potent right-off the line but pull hard once you get rolling a little so I'm not surprised about what you said. I think it has to do with the permanent magnet motor in the 3 vs. the induction motor of the S.
Yes. The dual motor will feel much quicker of the line because of the induction motor and gearing.

...I've heard that they are less potent right-off the line but pull hard once you get rolling a little...
I love (hate) how fake rumors like this get started. The three has a constant acceleration of initial power. Then it hits a max power setting. Then the it starts a slow decline in max power (likely from back EMF). We have three performance runs from the API sampled at quarter second intervals. They are identical.

Because the acceleration of power never increases - it is only constant until it is zero - the torque (and correspondingly g-force) starts out constant and then decreases. People may "feel" this magical burst, but it does not exist unless it was added after the API was turned off.

And of course Tesla is limiting the torque and max power, either for reliability or for product segmentation relative to the S75D and the P3D.

Last edited:
...do you know for sure?
This is true over ten different S cars having mostly the same parts. Different models get different settings. But for each model the settings are the same.

Also you can see the max torque and max power settings in engineering mode.

And every once in a while Tesla changes the settings - like when they uncorked the S75D - new torque and max power. Or when Tesla nerfed (and subsequently reversed nerfing the P90D - new max amperage. (and corresponding max power)

Think of chill mode - new torque settings.

Now some parts are different - inconel contactors, large vs small rear motor, most battery types, etc. But many of the cars have a lot of headroom.

One interesting case is the ludicrous upgrade on the P85D. Likely there was some hardware required for the max power change, but the torque increase could have been done with none. Or consider the rare S75D that shipped with the BTX8 (P85) battery where the big difference (besides faster charging) is no Back EMF power decline at high speeds, because the battery has higher voltage and amperage but the car has the same torque and max power settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
I love (hate) how fake rumors like this get started. The three has a constant acceleration of initial power. Then it hits a max power setting. Then the it starts a slow decline in max power (likely from back EMF). We have three performance runs from the API sampled at quarter second intervals. They are identical.

Because the acceleration of power never increases - it is only constant until it is zero - the torque (and correspondingly g-force) starts out constant and then decreases. People may "feel" this magical burst, but it does not exist unless it was added after the API was turned off.

And of course Tesla is limiting the torque and max power, either for reliability or for product segmentation relative to the S75D and the P3D.

If I remember correctly the dyno number basically show the model 3 ramps up torque until about 25mph and then you get full torque until it starts tapering off.