TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I was going to race a MS P85D

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by xpitxbullx, Jun 19, 2018.

1. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

My buddy has his Model 3 in the shop so they gave him a loaner car (Model S P60D). I said, “Let’s race”!

He said I should take a ride first in the P60D. OMG!!! I didn’t want to race anymore. My brain was squashed into the rear of my skull. The launch felt twice as strong as my Model 3.

I wonder if the later M3’s will be similar with upgrades.

• Like x 1
  2. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

Excuse me. It’s a P85D. My mistake.

• Like x 1
  3. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Are you sure it is a P60D? I don't think Tesla ever made a P60D. There is a 60D but that has similar speeds to the 3 RWD. For the P versions, that I am aware are, P85, P85+, P85D, P90D, & P100D.

Edit: Nevermind.

4. TT97

TT97 Active Member

The P85D is close to 3 seconds 0-60 (faster if it has Ludicrous Mode). It is a little faster (to 60) than the M3 P version.

• Like x 2
  5. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

The only next car that you would want to go up against would be a p70d with uncorking.

6. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

I have an S85. The 3 barely beats it, but in a weird way. the S85 will jump ahead at the start, and the 3 will chase it down.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  7. DanCar

DanCar Member

Video or it didn't happen. :)

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  8. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I haven't driven a model 3 yet, but I've heard that they are less potent right-off the line but pull hard once you get rolling a little so I'm not surprised about what you said. I think it has to do with the permanent magnet motor in the 3 vs. the induction motor of the S.

• Like x 2
  9. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

Yes. The dual motor will feel much quicker of the line because of the induction motor and gearing.

10. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

Are both of our motors in the dual motor Model 3 going to be permanent magnet motors or will one of them be induction?

11. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Is it the PMAC or overly aggressive traction control? My money is on the later since their is a hint of slip followed by what feels like a subdued acceleration....

12. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Front is induction on 3 AWD.

13. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

Or tesla is intentionally limiting the acceleration on the low end.

• Like x 4
  14. Krash

Krash Data Technician

#14 Krash, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    I love (hate) how fake rumors like this get started. The three has a constant acceleration of initial power. Then it hits a max power setting. Then the it starts a slow decline in max power (likely from back EMF). We have three performance runs from the API sampled at quarter second intervals. They are identical.

Because the acceleration of power never increases - it is only constant until it is zero - the torque (and correspondingly g-force) starts out constant and then decreases. People may "feel" this magical burst, but it does not exist unless it was added after the API was turned off.

And of course Tesla is limiting the torque and max power, either for reliability or for product segmentation relative to the S75D and the P3D.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  15. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

I suspect this, but do you know for sure?

16. Krash

Krash Data Technician

#16 Krash, Jun 21, 2018
    This is true over ten different S cars having mostly the same parts. Different models get different settings. But for each model the settings are the same.

Also you can see the max torque and max power settings in engineering mode.

And every once in a while Tesla changes the settings - like when they uncorked the S75D - new torque and max power. Or when Tesla nerfed (and subsequently reversed nerfing the P90D - new max amperage. (and corresponding max power)

Think of chill mode - new torque settings.

Now some parts are different - inconel contactors, large vs small rear motor, most battery types, etc. But many of the cars have a lot of headroom.

One interesting case is the ludicrous upgrade on the P85D. Likely there was some hardware required for the max power change, but the torque increase could have been done with none. Or consider the rare S75D that shipped with the BTX8 (P85) battery where the big difference (besides faster charging) is no Back EMF power decline at high speeds, because the battery has higher voltage and amperage but the car has the same torque and max power settings.

• Like x 1
  17. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

Hope you are right. I'm getting AWD no perf and would love to have later uncorking surprise once they have updated the Model S.

18. Krash

Krash Data Technician

I am ordering the same.

Tesla won't have build a lot of headroom into the RWD cars. That is just extra fixed engineering cost and variable materials expense. But it is easy to see why it is cheaper to initially ship the AWD with the detuned performance hardware.

19. SigNC

SigNC Member

If I remember correctly the dyno number basically show the model 3 ramps up torque until about 25mph and then you get full torque until it starts tapering off.

20. Krash

Krash Data Technician

#20 Krash, Jun 21, 2018