Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I was going to race a MS P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once somebody has the P3D its game over :)
True. Hopefully that will be me with the P3D.

Or just a regular AWD Model 3 on a road with enough tight curves
Depends on the driver. I can whip the P85D around corners pretty well if my tires are in good condition. But drivers equal, yeah, I'm screwed. I've raced a M3/M4 on a track and if Elon is not kidding around about the P3D then this is going to be one amazing car.

• Love
Reactions: Skryll
Yeah, I showed that to one of the contributing physicists who had a good laugh. They must have programmed the dyno wrong. You can see a graph here:
Took the 3 to the dragstrip to try it out.
The two Model 3s tested are the same as those in this post, right? I'm curious about the 0-60 times (4.5 and 4.25 sec) vs. the advertised 5.1 sec--is this simply due to the half-second rollout, or is the 0-60 performance that much better than advertised? Also, do you have any opinion of the subsequent kerfluffle where some owners reported their off-the-line acceleration was apparently (to them) hobbled?

Finally, I'm intrigued by the (anticipated) performance characteristics of the AWD Model 3. Maybe the wrong thread, but I'm wondering how much additional "fun factor" or farfegnugen you expect from it vs. the RWD version. I'm contemplating talking my SO into this additional $5,000 splurge. When she asked "Why?" I responded with Elon's tweet/rationalization: if one motor fails, you have a spare to get you home! She surprised me--she thought that was a good reason to buy it. :eek: Maybe she's just being nice.... :) Surely there are better reasons, even in a place (like here) where weather is generally not a reason.

I am getting AWD for the performance. Unlike with the P100D, right now it is interesting that the non P AWD Three has the P hardware.

Yes, the two Three runlog samples are the same. We have a third sample since updating those metrics. It looks the same. I had hoped the API runlog disabling was a bug, but the longer time it goes disabled, the more likely something is up. Still, I doubt that the "feelings" that the torque increases are accurate. I find it unlikely that Tesla would have a mechanism other than fixed torque and max power.

The rollout, combined with the quarter second sampling on the API makes for some quarter to half second variation on the 0-60 time, but yes it is faster than 5.1. I really only use these (or anyone's) metrics to look at torque and max power. Hopefully someone cracks the Three CANBus. It would be interesting to compare torque hold and launch timing at hundred second increments between PS and P3.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J
P has different tires, different brakes, spoiler (by delivery center) and drive units that are tested for twice as long and binned for best power output/ efficiency.

The tires are the only thing on the list that'd matter in a drag race and easily swapped for less than 23k... the one you left out though is software- since the motors appear to be coming from the same general parts bin (though sorted) it's almost certain the P version of the car has a software unlock the non-P won't.

Reactions: kablammyman
The tires are the only thing on the list that'd matter in a drag race and easily swapped for less than 23k... the one you left out though is software- since the motors appear to be coming from the same general parts bin (though sorted) it's almost certain the P version of the car has a software unlock the non-P won't.

Good point, I didn't explicitly call out the P sorted DUs would have a higher power level enabled.