Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For sure, but I am only doing this for my curiosity. If you think about a real drag race, do you really have a chance to charge to 100% each time? In a real life situation, how often am I going to be at 80 or 90 or 100%. I guess I am practical, I sometimes want to see "real life" numbers.

In my limited testing, the 75X seems to run consistently in the high 4s to low 5s (4.8-5.1). Chill mode was the same running at about 7.9-8.0. That was done at about 68% SOC, I have to try it at 80 or 90.

@mattack4000, that is correct about real world, but for me, charging to 90% ever night, I'm usually above 80% most of my driving, which I think it where the cut-off is for reduced performance. I just mentioned 90% to ensure you were above that threshold. I'd be curious of your instrumented results above 80%. Thanks!

BTW, I can "feel" the difference below and above 80% SOC, which I why I said "healthy margin".

Updated. See the file attached to the first post in the thread for individual vehicle runlogs and graphs.

Major additions include a roadster and two model 3 samples. Unfortunately no quarter mile data for those yet.

Also added an index and a comparison tab. Not all samples are comparable.

On the wishlist: Data we would especially like to see...

Model 3 Quater Mile (400M)
A non-upgraded S40
XP100D
XP90DL with battery 1088792-00-A
Model X Quarter Mile
X60D and X70D
X75D with BTX7 (US) or BTX8 (foreign) battery
S85D, S85+, SP85+
Runlogs from before the 2015 S85 performance increase
S60 and original S60D
S75 RWD with BTX7 battery
Any CANBus runlogs, especially one all the way to the rpm limits
Any vehicles with factory or aftermarket battery upgrades.​

upload_2018-4-4_14-50-1.png

Last edited:
Why you using rollout? Feels like it is cheating

it definately gives you shorter 0-60 times, especially on non performance cars that can't spool up to launch, so if you mean the 0-60 time is shorter then yeah it is cheating.

I use rollout to normalize the data. Too many rolling starts otherwise. I don't care much about the 0-60 times. I mostly care about the underlying performance components like torque, max power, battery current and motor back EMF characteristics.

If you are looking for traditional 0-60 you can add a quarter second back for closer 0-50 times, and then interpolate the finish as to where it is in the quarter second window. Then do the same with the start. And you could adjust for state of charge.

Last edited:
How are the implied torque numbers calculated? And where were the published torque numbers picked up from? The only motor specification I can find is on the Model S User Manual and it says the motors are derated to 250Nm on the Base vehicles and are 330Nm for the small motor and 675 Nm on the large motor for the performance vehicles.

How are the implied torque numbers calculated? And where were the published torque numbers picked up from? The only motor specification I can find is on the Model S User Manual and it says the motors are derated to 250Nm on the Base vehicles and are 330Nm for the small motor and 675 Nm on the large motor for the performance vehicles.
I used to just fit the numbers based on whichever of several guessed formulas fit the empirical data best in a regression.
But then based on a discussion in the physics thread, @SucreTease did the math that is in the spreadsheet currently:

=(wheel radius*(mass in grams*power velocity)^0.5)/gear ratio

which is within 5% of the guessed formula that I had settled on.

I should document which numbers I am referencing. All of Tesla's previously published numbers documented in Wikipedia are used first but I think I started using some Tesla manual numbers for the 3 for instance. Would you post or PM the page number of the figures you use. Keep in mind that the motor torque limits and the car limits are different. The car reported 600Nm combined for the non P S100D even before the uncorking, so the 250Nm per motor figure may be old.

Last edited by a moderator:
=(wheel radius*(weight in grams*torque acceleration)^0.5)/gear ratio
That formula for wheel torque should be:

τ = r ∙ √ [m ∙ ΔP/Δt]

Where:
τ = torque at wheel, in N∙m
r = radius of wheel, in meters
m = mass of vehicle, in kilograms
ΔP/Δt = time rate of change of power, in kW/s

Then, dividing the wheel torque by the gear ratio gives the total motor torque.

Last edited:
That formula for wheel torque should be:

τ = r ∙ √ [m ∙ ΔP/Δt]

Where:
τ = torque at wheel, in N∙m
r = radius of wheel, in meters
m = mass of vehicle, in kilograms
ΔP/Δt = time rate of change of power, in kW/s

Then, dividing the wheel torque by the gear ratio gives the total motor torque.
I made a mistake:

ΔP/Δt = time rate of change of power, in W/s (not kW/s)