Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish the Model 3 had the new Model S steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it come with good instructions? How invasive is it? Did you have to splice wires?
I wouldn't say "good" but good enough. And if you have questions you can reach out to them on WhatsApp and they respond fairly quickly. need to remove the dash trim piece (mine is carbon, but default is typically white with white interior or wood with black interior) and then run a single cable to the area in the passenger footwell. Remove the signal cable from the onboard computer and then plug in the one that comes with the kit. Then plug the original cable into the other end of the Y adaptor. This taps the screen into the canbus directly. No splicing at all. Haven't had any issues with updating my car, etc and I've done 3 updates since installing. We are hijacking this thread though... ;-)

Reactions: Venom
... I expect the driver basics to be perfect...

Tesla should have educated the butterfly steering wheel way in advance and not waiting for us to guess how it works.

Lacking this basic knowledge is very frustrating!

Now that we know those fading icons are buttons, Tesla needs to make sure they are raised so drivers can feel which is which without redirecting their eyes to visually hunt for the icons.

Now that Elon Musk tweeted that the PRND gears can be manually inputted from the 17" central screen, I hope the screen doesn't have the current NHTSA recall problem anymore.

I think it's safer to have basic driving functions separated from that screen or those functions should be duplicated too.

Reactions: polyphonic54
I'd think putting the "right" turn button on the right yoke, and the "left" turn button on the left yoke would be the most obvious, no?

Yes. This is how Ferrari and Lamborghini do it.

2020_Roma_pressimg_010-600x409.jpg

Reactions: Dolemite and KenC
I'm afraid this change might be a bit more polarizing than what Elon and company thinks.

It's very similar to the yoke on the 737's I fly, which I like quite well. But there's a big difference in handling between those two machines, and while I like the plane's yoke, I just don't know if I'm going to be a fan of a yoke in a car. Definitely need to try it first before I form an opinion. But I do know one thing.... I'm really going to miss having my left hand on the top center of the steering wheel.

Federal code on steering wheels, this just deals with lash. Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR)
Interesting - the DOT regulation doesn't specifically state that steering wheels need to be "round." One might assume that a "steering wheel" must, in fact, be a "wheel," i.e., round. But that is an assumption. (Requiring that "steering wheel lashes" be a specific size, based on their "diameter," also implies a round steering wheel. "Diameter" is defined as "a straight line passing from side to side through the center of a body or figure, especially a circle or sphere.")
But who knows - a strict reading of that rule could disqualify most manufacturers' use of flat-bottom steering wheels because they aren't perfectly "round."

Interesting - the DOT regulation doesn't specifically state that steering wheels need to be "round." One might assume that a "steering wheel" must, in fact, be a "wheel," i.e., round. But that is an assumption. (Requiring that "steering wheel lashes" be a specific size, based on their "diameter," also implies a round steering wheel. "Diameter" is defined as "a straight line passing from side to side through the center of a body or figure, especially a circle or sphere.")
But who knows - a strict reading of that rule could disqualify most manufacturers' use of flat-bottom steering wheels because they aren't perfectly "round."

I agree with your read. But given the information provided by Tesla, this certainly doesn't seem like something they are just considering putting in the car (like you might find in concept car). I'm assuming Tesla has any necessary approvals needed to include it in the next-gen Model S since they are advertising it as a feature.

I'm imaging a movie scene where there is a killer standing in front of the car... and another one standing behind the car. The driver, in a panic turns the car on and mashes on the gas to run the bad guy over and escape...

Tesla: I'm sorry Hal, I can't do that...
Driver: **Frantically paws at the screen to hit the override**
Driver: **Can't read the tiny size 2 font that Tesla seems to like so much**
Driver: **Gets murdered**

/ Just sayin'. Bad idea.

Personally, having driven a few cars like this, these U wheels (and similar) are HORRIBLE to actually drive with. Sure, they turn up on those sleek "concept cars" and look all futuristic and exciting, but they dont work at all well unless you are an F1 or track driver.
Yes agreed it looks nice but when turning the wheel you want to know where to hold it.
Plus this whole minimalism thing with removing the stall I don’t like capacitive buttons given the wheel shifts. Too much Tesla. Too much.