Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Worry About Getting Rear Ended... Statistics For Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the warning system(s) and AP, it seems like Tesla's would avoid running into vehicles in front of them quite above average. On the other hand, nothing can be done about all the Bozo's on their phones behind you. It seems to reason that Tesla's front vs rear collision rate ought to be really good. This is also an indication of fault, usually. I know my car has saved my bacon many times in front but I'm always worried about the idiots behind me...

I really wish Tesla would implement the European flashing brake lights on hard braking. Just because it's not mandatory doesn't mean it's not helpful!

I'm kinda unsure what the topic is supposed to be about...

Statistically, it should be no higher than any other car. As you stated, there's REALLY not much you can do except for slow down slowly as much as you can, drive defensively so incidents of hard braking are lessened and use your blinker when making a right turn into a little plaza... Outside of just driving in less populated areas or at night when no one is on the road....

As far as the brake lights goes, it would be nice. They can always add it in via FW later.

Reactions: dhrivnak
AP has me looking behind me way more than I should. Especially after some jack arse totaled my wife's 3. She was dead stop for over a full minute at a redlight, and he hit her. So, no car AP or not, would have done anything differently. I do wish AEB was law in the US. It is in other countries. (vehicle that hit her was so old I don't even know if it had airbags/ABS let alone AEB, but overtime this law will save lives).

Stop worrying and just drive. I don't think you have much in terms of options. Unless you want to tow a trailer 24/7.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Yes, its a concern of mine that the reports of phantom breaking will catch out a tail gating driver.

If when we get our M3 we find that phantom breaking is a real issue (the scenarios where phantom breaking occurs could easily apply to the main motorway [fast multi lane highway] near us - overheat gantries and bridges), I'm tempted to make up a joking window sticker warning tailgaters that autopilot is immune to flashing headlights but may suddenly brake without warning.

For you confused folks, the thread title was multi-faceted - sorry about that.....
1) I worry about getting rear-ended
2) Do we have any stats about front to rear crash ratios? I think Tesla would do well here.

I worry about rear ended more than ever now that I witness how many close calls my Tesla has helped me avoid with the car in front of ME... and I know not everyone has those features, so now it's been brought to my attention, that's all. Also now that I'm hearing about how long parts can take to get your car fixed, it compounds my concern. I'm just gonna drive and hope for helpful blinking brake lights in a firmware update. I can't help that I have a very long and busy commute. Sorry to confuse folks.

With the warning system(s) and AP, it seems like Tesla's would avoid running into vehicles in front of them quite above average. On the other hand, nothing can be done about all the Bozo's on their phones behind you. It seems to reason that Tesla's front vs rear collision rate ought to be really good. This is also an indication of fault, usually. I know my car has saved my bacon many times in front but I'm always worried about the idiots behind me...

I really wish Tesla would implement the European flashing brake lights on hard braking. Just because it's not mandatory doesn't mean it's not helpful!
Good insurance = peace of mind for me. As for the flashing lights, I believe that is coming in a future update.

I don't know what the statistics are, but every crashed M3 I've ever seen was due to rear end damage. Now I can't tell you what percentage of that was due to phantom breaking but in the 4 months I've had my car, that's only happened one time to me. Scared the crap out of me as I slowed from 70 MPH to 30 MPH in hard breaking. Fortunately I was able to get back up to speed quickly and there was no one close enough behind me to be impacted. That was a couple updates ago though and things have been much smoother since. I believe the cause was in 2019.12.1.1 there was a bug where if the car in front of you was too close to the car in front of it, collision avoidance would be triggered. In my case the car in front of me was towing a small car size trailer. I think my M3 thought it was a collision in progress and panicked.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3 and alexGS
Currently, when you lift from acceleration, go into regen, the brake light is a horizontal, red light. Depressing the brakes brings a full red light. (Correct me if wrong). How many ICE use a “horizontal” red light? Folks aren’t used to that. It can “confuse” people.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I was on a freeway and I was going to pass the car in front of me after having turned my flashing light for at least three time.
But the car following me decided to pass me.
I received a strong vibration on my steering wheel at the same time, forcing me going back into my labne.
I felt very sure after that.

Man I hate it when this happens. It's like when they see you flashing, they'll accelerate even harder just to jump out from behind you...