Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICEing at SCs and how to handle it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, no problem. Insert Motorola/StarTac in place of iPhone. I still didn't, nor did anyone I knew at the time, view cellphone ownership as a flauntation of wealth (or self-righteous - as that's what you were originally comparing it to). And *we* certainly don't view BEV ownership and subsequently having designated parking charge spots as self-righteous. Clearly we come from different worlds.

Well... I remember a guy in my high school class flaunting a Motorola brick phone in '88. Shortly after getting my drivers license, I saw him drive past the other way, window down in his car, elbow on the sill and phone to his ear. I don't think he was actually talking to anyone... It was likely his dad's, and the cost per minute back then was high enough that I'm pretty certain he wasn't actually using it...

I'm entirely old enough to remember those days and my only thought was: "That would make an awesome purse item with which to hit muggers."

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, no problem. Insert Motorola/StarTac in place of iPhone. I still didn't, nor did anyone I knew at the time, view cellphone ownership as a flauntation of wealth (or self-righteous - as that's what you were originally comparing it to). And *we* certainly don't view BEV ownership and subsequently having designated parking charge spots as self-righteous. Clearly we come from different worlds.

I don't view EV ownership as flaunting wealth either but some obviously do. I could see how some in the mid 80s would get annoyed by someone talking very loudly (on purpose) on a phone that costs $9,500 (adjusted for inflation). That's not what we are doing with EVs though. We are simply driving them.

Anyone who purposely blocks a charging station has some reason for doing so. We can only guess at their reasons unless someone asks them.

Holy cannoli! The police LIED to me! Every time I get rear-ended hard enough to warrant police attention, they tell me that I'm the last person over the age of 12 in CA who doesn't have a cellphone!

Now I can tell them that I'm one of at least TWO!!!

Happy Saturday!

PS: On topic- I will have no use for "special", non-charger EV parking when I get my Model 3; my legs work just fine, and I could use the exercise.

And painting spaces for EV charging green is cool by me, even though I see people disregard blue "handicapped" markings on a regular basis...

I hear you. The incredulous looks I get when someone new learns of my powers of cellphone resistance, it's like seeing electroshock therapy performed without any equipment. Many have a hard time conceiving of the idea that one can live without that little device glued to one's person.

P.S. You'll want to park that Model S way in a back parking lot corner, anyway, to reduce the risk of door dents.

- - - Updated - - -

We can only guess at their reasons unless someone asks them.

I invite you to ask them. I suspect the answer is far more likely to be the same as it would be if they had parked in a handicapped/reserved/pregnant/loading zone spot, or any other spot that's intent is clearly marked and not for them.

Well... I remember a guy in my high school class flaunting a Motorola brick phone in '88. Shortly after getting my drivers license, I saw him drive past the other way, window down in his car, elbow on the sill and phone to his ear. I don't think he was actually talking to anyone... It was likely his dad's, and the cost per minute back then was high enough that I'm pretty certain he wasn't actually using it...

Curious.. Where did you go to HS?

Back in the days there was a joke. A guy is talking on his cell phone. He says, "Wait a second, my other cell phone is ringing."

Now a year or so ago I got into a cab in Hong Kong and the driver had four cell phones sitting on his dashboard.

Signage! This is the best sign I've ever seen... just not at a supercharging station!!
note: this is a repost.
no-parking.jpg

when people use their phone in public; standing in line and being so focused that they don't a) realize the line has moved, or b) that the person behind the counter is waiting to be acknowledged/paid etc..., or standing at a traffic light and not realizing the light has changed and they're blocking the way, or walking down the street/in a mall

....and that would be me, as it's crucial that I stay connected in RT in the event that either my primary or secondary "alert" has failed to notify me that either Cottonwood, Kugerrand or lolachampcar has issued a new post on the TMC forum.:eek:

Signage! This is the best sign I've ever seen... just not at a supercharging station!!
View attachment 58584

I like this sign. Anyone know where is is legal or illegal to put up signage like this? I recall posts that said in some counties or states that ICEing an EV slot is illegal but how consistent is it across the US or other countries?

Another option is a Courtesy Notice Blink has for EV users to put under the wiper blade of ICE violator www.blinknetwork.com/file/17299/Blink_Courtesy_Notices.pdf The top one is best and the most diplomatic but the 2nd and 3rd one are for the clueless who intentionally block a charger.

I think the signs reserving prime parking spaces at office buildings, malls, the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum I visited last weekend (see my post in the Texas forum about this), etc. for EVs, or hybrids and EVs, or low emitting vehicles, or however it's worded is "fueling" this perception. I'm speaking of the parking spaces for EVs without charging stations. Apparently the building gets LEED points for this. It may be well-intentioned by the LEED folks but I think just feeds into this narrative of EV drivers thinking they're special. When I travel I don't want a better parking space because I drive a EV, what I want is a parking space that has a charging station (which I am willing to pay for), in a location that isn't a prime spot next to the museum but farther away where it won't be ICEd.

A little late to the party, but count me in with all the other +1s who have already posted.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 58584

I'm thinking of having these made up myself and installing them whenever I stop at a SC!

This is one of the best comments I've seen. The SuperCharger are special and the public needs to know that.
I advocate green pavement or at least green painted stripes. ICE drivers need to realize they are blocking the pump.

<light bulb>

During charging, paint the stall next to you green while you wait - place a cone (that you don't care about leaving) when you depart. After a few weeks, project completed.
Green-electric-vehicle-EV-car-charging-station-parking-lot-concrete-overlay-coating-yellow-line-.JPG

So do a search on 'ICEing' which should provide a week's worth of reading material. Please not this deja-vu all over again, please. :crying:
--

Since you are better at navigating the site, could you tell me if there is a thread on ownership costs now that many Ss have been on the road for over a year. Something to the effect of mileage at the one year mark, and repairs that you had to pay for. Thanks in advance.

Why would you want to go beyond a whimsical euphemism that is also correct, insofar as an SC could indeed be referred to as a 'pump'?

Petrol pumps are not specially painted or marked 'tow away' and yet everyone knows how to use and respect them. EV Pumps should be able to garner the same respect from non users. As more SCs get canopies they will resemble petrol stations even more.
--

Why would you want to go beyond a whimsical euphemism that is also correct, insofar as an SC could indeed be referred to as a 'pump'?

Petrol pumps are not specially painted or marked 'tow away' and yet everyone knows how to use and respect them. EV Pumps should be able to garner the same respect from non users. As more SCs get canopies they will resemble petrol stations even more.
--

Because there will be more than a few (unlike you and I) who won't catch on to the whimsy or the analogy at first glance. Plus, petrol pumps have been in existence for over a century and are part of the culture thus needing no explanation. "GAS" (or FUEL, if you want to go generic) taps into this cultural background for psychological impact.

Hi,

I regard ICE-ing as an opportunity, at least when there's a driver in the ICE or nearby. I think we as a Tesla community tend to forget that something like 99% (I just made that number up) of the driving public doesn't have electric vehicle issues on their radar screen. Best case, they may have heard about Tesla as a company, and didn't that stock do amazingly well, and what about that government loan.

People blocking SC spots generally aren't thinking about how long it takes to charge, or the need for mid-trip charging stops, or that anyone at all will even be showing up to charge.

There are lots of parts to a revolution, and one of them is individual education and persuasion. So an ICE incident becomes an opportunity to lead someone down the path towards several "ah ha!" moments, including the ultimate realization that they have chosen to park in the electric equivalent of a gas station's pump island. :)

Alan

P.S. I wish that I always could live up to what I have just written. I'm afraid at times I've been a jerk to people blocking chargers. :-(