Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I accidentally switch to neutral while driving, can I switch back to drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes you can, but I believe you will have to depress the brake to do it.
No depressing of the brake. All cars, cars and trucks must be able to switch between drive and neutral without depressing the brake or a button to move the lever. This is so if the car excelerater pedal gets stuck or engine stalls you can either brake or start the vehicle.

No depressing of the brake. All cars, cars and trucks must be able to switch between drive and neutral without depressing the brake or a button to move the lever. This is so if the car excelerater pedal gets stuck or engine stalls you can either brake or start the vehicle.
is the excelerator the pedal between the brake and the accelerator? is it like an extra pedal?

:D :D :D

Wait, the parking brake is automagically applied? I though it was applied by holding in the Park button on the gear selector? Doing that is what causes the parking brake indicator to appear on the dash panel of the MFD, at least.

I'm not 100% certain what, if anything, changes physically when you hold the Park button while stopped.

There isn't a parking pall in any Tesla drive unit. Shifting to park sets the 12V electronic parking brakes on the rear wheels - with HVAC off in a quiet place you can hear them engage.

I know holding it while moving is the emergency braking solution...

• Informative
Reactions: radiocycle
Hmmm. That's what I would think the logic would be (from my years of ICE driving), but I swear today when I left the car wash (in neutral) and tried to shift into drive, it made me hit he brake. I'll try again next drive.

Reactions: AGARubberDuck
I've never intentionally used N in this car. But just last weekend after backing out of a parking spot, I somehow accidentally put it in N, but assumed I was in D. The accelerator did nothing in this situation except bring up a message. I think it said, "You idiot!" or something along those lines. Anyway, because of slope, I was rolling at the extreme speed of 1 or 2 mph. I was able to shift to D with no problem.

As mentioned before here, coasting in neutral has the benefit of saving energy. Using regen 100% of the way down a slope will net you some losses by converting the kenetic potential energy to energy stored in the battery. If you can coast in neutral safely without breaking the speed limit, you'll save energy overall.

As mentioned before here, coasting in neutral has the benefit of saving energy. Using regen 100% of the way down a slope will net you some losses by converting the kenetic potential energy to energy stored in the battery. If you can coast in neutral safely without breaking the speed limit, you'll save energy overall.

Not that simple. Accelerating to a higher speed means more losses to aerodynamic drag, so it costs more energy to convert each mile, even though that's coming from the car's potential energy instead of the battery pack.

Note that in most states this is illegal- including yours.

2010 Georgia Code :: TITLE 40 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC :: CHAPTER 6 - UNIFORM RULES OF THE ROAD :: ARTICLE 11 - MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS :: § 40-6-246 - Coasting

GA Law said:
(a) The driver of any motor vehicle when traveling upon a down grade shall not coast with the gears or transmission of such vehicle in neutral.

Reactions: JDMerica
I'm not 100% certain what, if anything, changes physically when you hold the Park button while stopped.

There isn't a parking pall in any Tesla drive unit. Shifting to park sets the 12V electronic parking brakes on the rear wheels - with HVAC off in a quiet place you can hear them engage.

So other than the parking brake indicator appearing on the display, there is no physical difference between being in Park, and being in Park with the (manual?) parking brake applied/indicated? Very curious.

Naturally, I believe that Park would not be a traditional parking pall; there is no transmission for it to grab onto.

Pedantic warning (letter of the law vs intent):
Fortunately, the gears/ transmission of a Tesla are fixed are not capable of neutral.

Would disengaging the clutch on a manual be allowed?
Yes, if it not a bus or truck:
(b)The driver of a truck or bus when traveling upon a down grade shall not coast with the clutch disengaged.

Reactions: pilotSteve

You can hear that thing engage/disengage with the HVAC on max in quite a loud place!