Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If model 3 is the "cheap one" then why am I paying more than a new S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost all of the general public thinks the model 3 is the cheap budget tesla. And Well it kind of is. But I realized I can get quite a nice brand new model S about the same money. Starting to question my sanity a bit.

Model 3 is a better car for me I think (more efficient, and faster, and better range) but the interior of the S is allot nicer, and I love hatchbacks. Anyways everyone I know thinks the S is the cooler car and there's allot of reasons why I kind of agree. I like the look of the integrated screen vs the afterthought type design in the 3.

Anyone else?

Last edited:
All depends on what you want. As mentioned above, if you want a bigger car and might impress some goof driving a camry you are better off buying a base model 5 series than an M3. If you want the performance and/or to impress people who know cars, then you get the m3 or turbo 3 series.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Anyone else?
Not I.

The model 3 is a bargain at the price compared to the MS - less fussy interior, more efficient, more range, cheaper to maintain (tires), better sound system, and a U.I. that is fully integrated in one location.

My son-in-law had to take his model 3 into the SC for a minor problem (speaker connection) and they gave him a 2017, S75D loaner. He put a total of 6 miles on the loaner while he had it (over a weekend). Didn't like the car at all - too big, too complicated, too fussy. He preferred to drive my daughter's Fiat 500e! He was relieved when he got his beloved 3 back.

my 3 is 72000.. so pretty similar pricing
Details that might be relevant to put in your original post...

Either way, you're going to have a lot less range in an S75D, and the S75D will be slower as well given your upgrade. I will admit that if I were wiling to pay that much for a Model 3, I would be tempted to get the S, I don't think I could simply because of the range difference. I'd need to get the 100D, and that's another $20k. My daily driving of course doesn't use that range, but we'll be taking some road trips, and the more range I can get on a charge, the better. If there was an "Extra long range" battery upgrade for the 3 that could take it to 400+ miles, I probably would have bought that.

I've always hated the Model S and hated the Model X even more when it came out. I didn't like the giant portrait screen, the UI, the seats had no support for spirited driving, the steering wheel was too big, the car was too big, too heavy, it drove like a boat around corners, interior ergonomics were horrendous (e.g. cupholders, storage, bins, etc). I loved what Tesla was doing, but I hated it's first two mass-market vehicles. Felt very much like a first-generation product, which it was... Sorry not sorry.

Based on that, I didn't expect to love the Model 3 as much as I do now. It is refreshing, great interior design, love the single landscape screen, interior ergonomics is much better with gobs of storage, smaller car, smaller steering wheel, quicker steering, handles well, remains relatively flat through corners, much lighter. It's a second-generation product, and definitely feels like one too.

Are there downsides? Yes. Small trunk opening with manual tailgate and smaller cargo capacity. That's pretty much it. I think the 3 is more comfortable than an S, handles better, easier to drive, easier to park, etc. etc. etc.

That being said, these are just my opinions and as someone in my 30s with no children, I clearly prioritize certain features more than others. Unashamedly so! Like others mentioned above, I'm one who prefers the BMW M3 over the 5 series and 7 series. Probably even prefer the BMW M3 over the BMW M5. Actually, I would totally get the new M2 Competition over the M3/M4/M5/M6/M8 (but maybe not for the same price). My priorities are just different.

If you prefer the base S75D, then why pay MORE* for a loaded P3D+? Just get the S75D.

As for me, I would be asking myself why pay for a base S75D with less range when I could get a loaded P3D+ with more range for the SAME PRICE**?

I chose to save a huge chunk of cash and just get the 3LR. At least that's what I told myself to feel better when I test drove the P3D... :D

For the sake of argument and because I can:
*w/ FSD
**w/ EAP only

I'm in the process of trading my P90D lease in for a model 3.

I would not necessarily say the model S interior is nicer. The interior materials of both the S and 3 punch below their price, but arguably the S is more outclassed in its price range than the 3, but it's debatable. The console/door storage and cupholders in the model S are inferior. I like the 3 seats just a tad better than my next gen model S seats. I have not been in the new S/X premium seats. I think the S has nicer steering wheel construction, but I like the smaller size of the 3's wheel. Having two screens in the model S is overrated.

IMO, you give up a few tangible things on the 3 vs the S:
- Trunk/Frunk storage for roadtrips
- Comfortable seating for 4-5 adults on longer drives
- Highway cruising/ride "smoothness"
- powered liftgate
- heating steering wheel

I think the S is a subjectively better looking car than the 3. I think the S looks good from every angle; the 3 looks good from some.

I've been in early production RWD 3's (VIN 5000, 11000) and late production AWD model 3's (VIN 96000), I would be hard pressed to come up with more advantages for the S. For me the issue was in order to get comparable range in an S, you had to get the 100D. Even an inventory 100D is still $90k+, versus low 60's for a loaded AWD 3, or low 70s for a moderately optioned P3D. The argument for a S75D could be a strong one if it fits your range needs and you absolutely need the cargo or people carrying capacity for longer trips - but then you're missing the range.

For me the 3 is a secondary car I use to commute. Wife has the SUV for hauling kids/crap. What I really need is Tesla to sell me a full size SUV with a 350 mile range when the temperature is 0 degrees outside.

I've always hated the Model S and hated the Model X even more when it came out. I didn't like the giant portrait screen, the UI, the seats had no support for spirited driving, the steering wheel was too big, the car was too big, too heavy, it drove like a boat around corners, interior ergonomics were horrendous (e.g. cupholders, storage, bins, etc). I loved what Tesla was doing, but I hated it's first two mass-market vehicles. Felt very much like a first-generation product, which it was... Sorry not sorry.

Based on that, I didn't expect to love the Model 3 as much as I do now. It is refreshing, great interior design, love the single landscape screen, interior ergonomics is much better with gobs of storage, smaller car, smaller steering wheel, quicker steering, handles well, remains relatively flat through corners, much lighter. It's a second-generation product, and definitely feels like one too.

Are there downsides? Yes. Small trunk opening with manual tailgate and smaller cargo capacity. That's pretty much it. I think the 3 is more comfortable than an S, handles better, easier to drive, easier to park, etc. etc. etc.

That being said, these are just my opinions and as someone in my 30s with no children, I clearly prioritize certain features more than others. Unashamedly so! Like others mentioned above, I'm one who prefers the BMW M3 over the 5 series and 7 series. Probably even prefer the BMW M3 over the BMW M5. Actually, I would totally get the new M2 Competition over the M3/M4/M5/M6/M8 (but maybe not for the same price). My priorities are just different.

If you prefer the base S75D, then why pay MORE* for a loaded P3D+? Just get the S75D.

As for me, I would be asking myself why pay for a base S75D with less range when I could get a loaded P3D+ with more range for the SAME PRICE**?

I chose to save a huge chunk of cash and just get the 3LR. At least that's what I told myself to feel better when I test drove the P3D... :D

For the sake of argument and because I can:
*w/ FSD
**w/ EAP only
I like the integrated look of the screen on the S and that it is a hatchback, and well the keyfob too. To most people screens popping out of the dash look like afterthoughts on most cars. Although on the 3 I tend to accept it because it lowers the entire dash, but to most people it just does not look good. I have also seen people at work throwing towels over their touch screens to protect them from heat from the sun, I hope that does not end up being a thing I need to do.

Other than that I think I feel the same as you, in my 30's with no kids as well. I will say i like the interior of the S better, the key fob, and the exterior styling of the new S itself. Now that I think about it, this will be my first car with a non hatch trunk, so I hope I don't hate it. I know I will be searching for some kind of kit to add tie down points in the trunk as I find it very unusable without a way to tie things down. Meaning things will end up getting tied to the back seats, like propane tanks, carboys etc, not things I want on my seats at all, things that should go in the trunk but cannot because there is no way to strap them down?.

It's 130K for a Model S that is closest to speed to a P Model 3.
Nah, the base model S is close to the speed of the 3.
4.2 seconds vs 3.5.

2.5 seconds is 33% faster than the P3D.

• Disagree
Reactions: DrDabbles
Nah, the base model S is close to the speed of the 3.
4.2 seconds vs 3.5.

2.5 seconds is 33% faster than the P3D.

The AWD Model 3 is 4.5 seconds, even closer to 4.2 than 3.5. Get the non-performance and you can save yourself 9k. 55-60k is a lot less than 77k for the base S.

Yep. No doubt the 3LRD can hit 4.1 seconds or the 3P can hit faster than 3.5.

Tesla has to set to limits to not cannibalize the S. AWD was far too attractive at the 4K price point. It's a fair value for sure at 6K as its 6K to go from 5.5 to 4.5. It's 9 more K on top to go from 4.5 to 3.5.

$50,000 more to get the 2.5 Second Model S.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
The different models of Tesla are not better nor worse than another.

They are designed for different markets.

The S was beautifully designed. Gave the World the first long distance elegant cruiser, totally on electric power. The rolled out with the first Superchargers. Designed with a unique hatch back design that allowed for up to 7 seats, and also fold down for Costco runs, bicycles or snowboards. Amazingly beautiful and amazingly versitile at the same time.

X was derived from the S and added SUV characteristics. More space and better seating in the way back. It was designed and equipped with a tow package to add to the capabilities. Ground breaking ultra vision windshield plus the unique falcon wing doors to make installing child safety seats a breeze. Worlds safest SUV with good handling and that desirable high up seating for additional visability.

Then came the 3, again for a different model. While not as smooth a highway cruiser it had good range. It only seats 4 comfortably, but also has a trunk which adds additional out of sight security in Urban areas. It is designed for smaller people, with fewer kids and less need to haul stuff. Instead, it hauls ass. Much more taut and nimble for urban use. It parks in smaller places and fits inside smaller garages and is even more efficient due to its lower weight and newer motors and batteries. Lower overall pricing makes it more available for those on tighter budgets. It expands the market for Tesla.
The 3 was designed to be less expensive and faster to produce. Tesla can turn them out in much higher volume.

Interesting to me was how the 3 did not take business away from the S and X. They still sell as many S & X as before. All these Tesla have good profit margins and seem to remain in high demand, with waiting list for most all the production.

Each buyer will look at the different models and choose the one that is right for THEM.

The reason a person will pay more for a tricked out 3 than a standard Model S is due to that persons individual circumstances.