Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If model 3 is the "cheap one" then why am I paying more than a new S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The S gives you air suspension and bio defense filter though :)
That, the ride feel that comes with it, the total volume of space in car, and the little power features (door handles, trunk, etc), and some details like that are indeed the things that come with the Model S that you can't get at any price with the Model 3.

But if those hold little importance to you relative to nimbleness, quickness, and range along with "modernness" of the UX, then the Model 3 is far better value for anything close to overlap of Model S and Model 3 prices.

That's why, although there is some going to be some cannibalization, the Model S and Model 3 have quite a bit of differentiation.

How does that even happen??

After 3 days of order, I emailed Tesla for cancel as VIN was not assigned.
Tesla emailed me I can cancel. Asked me the reason for cancelling and needed my RN number.
I thought Tesla was processing canceling. Then suddenly yesterday they said my car is ready to be delivered next week.
It could have been changing to the silver color as I wanted to take the last glimpse before the pic is gone.

Originally I was going to buyout my Model S lease for its free supercharging but it looks like I will return S and keep 3 instead.

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
I dunno.

Any stretch of driving without stopping that’s longer than about 3 hrs seems pretty monstrous to your captive passengers. How fast do you go?

75 mph at 0 degrees or less with a full load doesn't last that long... And I'm not willing to sit at a supercharger forever in the middle of winter if I even make it. I realize this is likely an outlying use case that probably wouldn't generate much revenue, but it's the reason my family still has an ICE.

$72k is for a performance version of the Model 3 with many upgrades and it's still less than the cheapest trim of the Model S at $77k. So your title doesn't make sense.

The fully loaded Model 3 is $81.7K :cool:

upload_2018-9-14_18-45-6.png

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and forkee
I kinda wish i would have after they increased the price the second time, it would have saved me 11k since but my edit button no longer exists.

the lack of the power lift gate won't put me off because i have never had a car that had one. I guess they should put it on Tesla's though, i mean they car can drive itself but not pop the trunk for you lol.
You can call. They’ll change it for you, and your paint/delivery price stays at whatever level it was at when first ordered (put down $2500).

75 mph at 0 degrees or less with a full load doesn't last that long... And I'm not willing to sit at a supercharger forever in the middle of winter if I even make it.
You can keep the heat on inside the car while you Supercharge you know. Or go inside a nearby facility while it charges. It's not like you have to stand around outside waiting for it to finish, like you do at a gas station.

The fully loaded Model 3 is $81.7K :cool:

View attachment 335022
10k of that price are for options that would also need to be applied to the Model S. Otherwise, you're comparing a red EAP/FSD to a black non-EAP, non-FSD. You can argue about whether one should include the P in the Model S comparison, by bickering about which 0-60 times are closer to each other, but paint, EAP, and FSD are one-for-one comparisons. Either you compare them in both prices or in neither.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Lack of power lift gate on Model 3 will piss you off everytime if you came from an S or X.

4.1 0-60 on S100D to 2.5 0-60 on S100P cost you $35,000

Speed carries a PREMIUM PRICE.

$49K for the minimum Model 3 is CHEAP.

we dont have that many soccermums in europe (and hence it is not a popular option) but my dad bought a bmw ..e90 wagon with a powerliftgate many years ago it is the most frustrating thing ever. nothing nicer to just grab the trunk and slam it down... if i would have the choice between powerliftgate or no powerliftgate i would not get one every time.

Reactions: ronin
Nah, the base model S is close to the speed of the 3.
4.2 seconds vs 3.5.
My wife drives a 2017 S 75 RWD and I drive a 2018 P3D+. Despite the seemingly small difference in 0-60 (4.3s vs 3.5s), the 3 feels insanely quick like it wants to eat the asphalt for breakfast. The S is quick but just doesn’t have the same edginess, especially in the corners (AWD could help some).

Both were around the same price - I do like some things better about the S but for pure driving the 3 wins hands down.

Reactions: pilotSteve
You can keep the heat on inside the car while you Supercharge you know. Or go inside a nearby facility while it charges. It's not like you have to stand around outside waiting for it to finish, like you do at a gas station.

We just aren't willing to wait. We also do trips in some conditions where it would be cutting it close on just making it to the supercharger at all. We just need more range for it to work for our family.

my 3 is 72000.. so pretty similar pricing

Sorry, but that's kind of ridiculous comparison. For $72,000 on the Model 3 you get better all around performance and better range than the $77,000 Model S 75D.

And you also sort of answered your own question. I wouldn't buy the Model S at the same price as the Model 3, all performance specs being the same. I want the more efficient, faster, nimbler car. Compare it to a BMW, of which I have owned a few. Regardless of how much money I have to spend I would never buy a 5 Series or a 7 Series over a 3 Series. Because the experience of driving a 3 Series is just more to my liking. You more or less said the same thing when you said that the Model 3 is likely better for your needs/wants.

Oh, and the title of your post is wholly inaccurate. The Model S, no matter what is more than what you paid for your configuration of Model 3.

Last edited:
Almost all of the general public thinks the model 3 is the cheap budget tesla. And Well it kind of is. But I realized I can get quite a nice brand new model S about the same money. Starting to question my sanity a bit.

Model 3 is a better car for me I think (more efficient, and faster, and better range) but the interior of the S is allot nicer, and I love hatchbacks. Anyways everyone I know thinks the S is the cooler car and there's allot of reasons why I kind of agree. I like the look of the integrated screen vs the afterthought type design in the 3.

Anyone else?

Hey no shame in being on the fence, these are both great choices. Sounds like you need to reconsider the M3, have you had a test drive of both the 3 and the S? Is it too late to convert your order to an S? Worst thing is to buy a $70k+ car and not like it....you need to do everything possible to bring your decision to a head ASAP!

Almost all of the general public thinks the model 3 is the cheap budget tesla. And Well it kind of is. But I realized I can get quite a nice brand new model S about the same money. Starting to question my sanity a bit.

Model 3 is a better car for me I think (more efficient, and faster, and better range) but the interior of the S is allot nicer, and I love hatchbacks. Anyways everyone I know thinks the S is the cooler car and there's allot of reasons why I kind of agree. I like the look of the integrated screen vs the afterthought type design in the 3.

Anyone else?

Time is money.

I would rather own an AWD, standard suspension, solid roofed, heated steering wheeled, 75 kWh Model S than any of the Model 3 variants, but I wouldn't be willing to pay very much more for it. I've test driven the performance M3. It's rediculously fast. Totally unnecessary. I rented a February build RWD M3 with 15,000 miles on it for 24 hrs. Great car but the S is smoother, quieter, and feels more solidly built. The S feels like it would hold up better over time. Overall I like the styling of the S better too.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911