Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read through this entire thread and haven't seen any good conspiracy theories yet. So let me be the first. Could this be Tesla's way of punishing those customers they feel are abusing the SuC system? If they see someone with lifetime free access using the Superchargers almost exclusively they will throttle their charging speeds. This would be equivalent to the cell phone carriers who throttle network speeds of their unlimited plan customers when they think they are using too much bandwidth. Maybe Supercharging is no more detrimental to the battery than any other method but Tesla feels like they need to punish those they think are abusing their charging network.

There are much better ways to control the message without all the risks of being here.

If they can't give us straight answers, I agree it is probably wiser to stay out. @JonMc's non-commitment in the Ludicrous counter case ended up probably hurting more than helping amongst the enthusiasts.

But wouldn't it be great if they simply came online and gave us straight answers, no spin. That would be great.

I've read through this entire thread and haven't seen any good conspiracy theories yet. So let me be the first. Could this be Tesla's way of punishing those customers they feel are abusing the SuC system? If they see someone with lifetime free access using the Superchargers almost exclusively they will throttle their charging speeds. This would be equivalent to the cell phone carriers who throttle network speeds of their unlimited plan customers when they think they are using too much bandwidth. Maybe Supercharging is no more detrimental to the battery than any other method but Tesla feels like they need to punish those they think are abusing their charging network.

That is the theory promoted by @Canuck as far as a I can tell.

But it is hard to see when @Naonak's charging has been mostly CHAdeMO (estimate 250 CHAdeMO vs. 50 SpC). @Canuck's idea was that the car does not discriminate between these in the counting... and thus how it could happen even when charging CHAdeMO.

Someone pulled data from cars showing it does separate between CHAdeMO and Supercharging inside the car on some levels at least, but it is unknown how the DC charging counters may work.

See msg #385 for some of the summary.

Last edited:
At the risk of being dismissed as just another cheerleader (but kind of hoping that includes cute outfits and pompoms), my two cents:

The OP likely has noticed a real issue with his battery, exacerbated by his unusual usage. My assumption is that Tesla Service correctly called that out on the repair order - but didn't give context as to how often this could happen, leaving this forum rife with speculation.

If it is widespread and going to happen to all, then yes, I agree with posters who feel this should have been disclosed - though I think it's more likely that an engineer, after the fact, discovered the problem through examining logs supplied by a service center & just replied to the service center as to what they believed. I don't think it is something deliberate. I think probably some engineers knew about a few batteries & it never occurred to them that they should be contacting someone to get out a communication. (Because engineers :).) But if it is truly an outlier situation (with negligible impact when it does occur) and not likely to impact most customers -- does it really belong as a normal operating issue to be aware of?

I'm trying to imagine all the disclosures this would require for different products if the bar were to be set there. I don't remember an ICE manufacturer meeting that bar - did any of them inform about how to properly break-in a new or rebuilt engine for a car you bought? Yet we all know we needed to do that for every single time, not just outlier cases.

So I guess where I stand now, based on the little actual facts we have, is that the truth lies somewhere in between and doubtful there was any malice on anyone's part - The OP has an issue, we don't (as yet) know how many could be impacted IF they were the same type of user, and if so, it appears the impact is negligible at best. We don't know how widespread because we also have anecdotal evidence of it NOT happening to others.

And I also wish people would stop the personal attacks, even when they think they're being subtle. (Spoiler alert - we see it.) Posts that have no purpose other than to insult people who disagree with them just bring this thread into the gutter.

Otherwise I agree with your post, but not about the break-in. Many ICE-engines are nowadays built with so small tolerances, that break-in is not necessary any more.

Still some engines still need break-in and for instance my daughter's 50 cc scooter has break-in advice in its manual.

So while others in other threads are complaining that the left hand doesn't talk to the right, somehow in this particular case Tesla managed to 1) decide to put in the time (though bandwidth-constrained) to identify a few people abusing, 2) updated their system to catch them and throttle their charging, 3) communicate throughout the company how to characterize it (battery degradation), and 4) have everyone associated with the issue fall into line.

Personally, I would have just sent a note to those few people if the abuse were severe. But that's just me.

Reactions: Ulmo
If they can't give us straight answers,
Sorry, but you are ignoring the obvious. One person's straight answer is another person's conspiracy theory. This forum is Alice's rabbit hole.

Between Alt-facts, spin, manipulation, ignorance and stupidity, a forum is a cesspool.
I've forgotten the name of a certain popular, right wing talk radio host. (I know, they are a dime a dozen these days.) Whenever he oozes over into slander or lies he reminds everybody that his show is entertainment.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
So while others in other threads are complaining that the left hand doesn't talk to the right, somehow in this particular case Tesla managed to 1) decide to put in the time (though bandwidth-constrained) to identify a few people abusing, 2) updated their system to catch them and throttle their charging, 3) communicate throughout the company how to characterize it (battery degradation), and 4) have everyone associated with the issue fall into line.

Personally, I would have just sent a note to those few people if the abuse were severe. But that's just me.

I don't think anyone beyond @Canuck and @S3XY believe in that theory, anyway. Seems like on outlier of a theory. :)

Edit: @S3XY was just entertaining the idea for conversation.

Last edited:
Sorry, but you are ignoring the obvious. One person's straight answer is another person's conspiracy theory. This forum is Alice's rabbit hole.

Between Alt-facts, spin, manipulation, ignorance and stupidity, a forum is a cesspool.
I've forgotten the name of a certain popular, right wing talk radio host. (I know, they are a dime a dozen these days.) Whenever he oozes over into slander or lies he reminds everybody that his show is entertainment.

Be that as it may, I'd find it very refreshing to get some brutal honesty from Tesla on this topic on this forum. But I agree if they can't give us that, it is probably better for them not to try and replace it with PR spin either.

Reactions: Ulmo

That's why they call it a conspiracy theory. :D To your point, weren't there cases where people were notified about SuC abuses? Although I think that had to do with idle time. But that would support your point of view.

But if it is truly an outlier situation (with negligible impact when it does occur) and not likely to impact most customers -- does it really belong as a normal operating issue to be aware of?

Yes, especially considering it's a new technology, and salespeople have encouraged this outlier-ish behavior at times. People have a right to know what they're signing up for, even if their circumstances are unusual.

I agree with everything else you wrote.

... except that they were abusing a chademo charger not a SuC :) (240+ in a year -- free one near work would seem like a good guess ... not sure LEAF owners appreciate that type of usage tho :) )

I did go on the assumption with the interpretation of not affecting supercharging. Rereading, I guess it is ambiguous enough and not decisive how it is worded, most likely intentional.

I redact my previous statement and state that it is inconclusive one way or the other.
You don't need to redact anything. You just were responding from your other head.:D

Could this be related to Youtuber Bjorn Nyland's issues? His XP90DL just won't charge over 94kW anymore (that I know of), and often he experiences an early drop in charge rate. Unplugging for just a few minutes seems to allow cooling to catch up, and charging continues significantly quicker than it did (say 50kWh around 50%, from loose memory) before.

I can imagine it would be so frustrating to have a 6-figure car which just doesn't perform like others, while you are using it as advertised.

Could this be related to Youtuber Bjorn Nyland's issues? His XP90DL just won't charge over 94kW anymore (that I know of), and often he experiences an early drop in charge rate. Unplugging for just a few minutes seems to allow cooling to catch up, and charging continues significantly quicker than it did (say 50kWh around 50%, from loose memory) before.

Well, it has been speculated indeed that @Bjorn is affected.

To summarize the recent data points we have on DC charging causing throttling/degradation:

1) A scanned service report from Tesla via @Naonak (plus original report of course) (in U.S.)
2) We also have @jbcarioca calling a Tesla service center where the tech recalled DC degradation issues with "H" packs (in U.S.)
3) @ODE90D having heard "unofficially" from several Tesla employees about this (in Italy)
4) We have a recollection that famed Tesla user @Bjorn possibly had noticed this throttling on his car (in Norway)

@MP3Mike kindly collected the affected @Naonak's specs in one post:

(quote)

We also have this counter-example from @thefortunes, a non-affected heavy DC user:

(quote)

Did I miss anything?

Maybe time for @FredLambert and Electrek.co to investigate...