Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that's not what I asked. Has anybody actually paid was the question. If they don't have a credit card then how would Tesla get paid. Plus - after Unlimited SC went away, wasn't there a thread in essence stating Unlimited supercharging was reinstituted ? Hard to keep up with all the double speak.
Re slower charge times of older packs - the linked post simply restates the prior understanding that charge times would only be affected to the tune ~5 minutes. Accounting for other variables (pack's charge, no one charging near you, not cold, etc) - it's impossible to reconcile people recharging over ½ an hour extra - with the few/5 minute figure Tesla is putting in writing.
Are you conflating three separate things?

a) slower charge times, your 90 pack added 5 minutes for battery protection etc, that's one thing.

b) The 400 kWh annual free offering has been a little confusing... my current understanding is, Model 3 owners won't get free supercharging for life, only the 400 kWh per year. And free for life for S and/or X may continue, or it may be changed, at Tesla's prerogative and as they see fit. And I'm ok with that. *ducks*

c) Once your Model S or X completes its set charge at a supercharger (no matter what that is... if you set it for 50%, the car will stop charging at 50%), there is a five-minute grace period for you to unplug and presumably move your vehicle so others can use the spot. If you just leave it plugged in not charging, there will be a cost per minute added to your account, which will be due and payable next time you visit a service centre. HOWEVER, not so fast -- if there are less than half the supercharger spots filled with cars, then your plugged-in-not-charging-car won't get the post-5-minute-invoice. This makes sense to target slowpokes at busy superchargers, rather than those (I'm looking at you, Revelstoke!) that usually are not busy at all.

That's my recollection from going through the published material from Tesla when this first came out. Of course, some or all of it may have changed, or may change.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I have co-workers (lots of Leafs here in the Bay Area) that almost all have had their 2012 leaf batteries replaced and Nissan did so as soon as they dipped below 70% but not because they wanted to but because CARB forced them to.

The thing is once the battery degrades to that point it pretty much falls off a cliff so it's almost a moot point.

@dhanson865

Since you disagreed with my post, you disagreed with one the world's foremost battery experts. I suggest you watch this video so you can educate yourself ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
FYI, my P85D will no longer charge at full charge rate. I've been blaming it on the superchargers but when I called during the last charge session, the guy on the phone told my battery was too warm to charge at the full rate and wanted to know if I'd been driving at high speed for a long time. In fact, I'd only been driving for 10 minutes after the car had sat for 4 hours.

What happened is I pulled in at 21% to the Fresno SC last Friday. I immediately got 114KW but after two minutes it dropped to the 80s. After another two minutes it dropped to the mid 60s where it held flat until I unplugged at 56%.

This has been typical over the last 8 months or so. Every time I've called customer service, I'm told the SC I'm at has reduced service even though it isn't showing on the nav as such.

I got the same response on Friday but then after I mentioned to him that is the answer I get every time at every SC, he then volunteered that he was looking my battery temperature and that it was too warm to charge yet the cooling system wasn't on at all.

I countered with an example(when things were working right) 2 years ago when I drove to Washington in July and it happened to be 110F in Oregan and we stopped a Grants Pass to charge after driving 2.5 hours startng at 20% or so. The charge followed the taper curve and never let up below that. The cooling system was so loud it sound like a jet getting ready to take off.

So how could my battery be too warm to charge at full speed in much cooler temperatures without the cooling system first kicking like it did at Grants Pass. In fact, I can't recall in the last 8 months while charging that I heard it at all let alone loudly.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Maybe something is wrong with the BMS and it's not signalling the cooling system to kick on, or it is but something is wrong with the cooling system and it's not responding.

I think @Bjorn had problems with the cooling system not kicking in on his Model X when Supercharging, though I don't recall how it ended up getting fixed. (I sort of recall, and am probably wrong, that it got fixed after he blew a fuse with his trailer, tried to fix it himself and made things worse, after which point he had to get some control module replaced.)

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
From the link ;
is anybody actually being charged these fees that keep getting referred to? I've talked to no one who even knows someone who has paid for staying too long or is not getting Unlimited supercharging w/ their new X or S.

just saying, if this part is spurious, then ......

See this post for complete SC billing details including screen shots of idle charges Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee
Glad to see that Tesla is now enforcing the fees before the Model 3 arrives at the end of the month :cool:

screen-shot-2017-07-08-at-6-24-05-am-png.234647

Last edited:
I got the same response on Friday but then after I mentioned to him that is the answer I get every time at every SC, he then volunteered that he was looking my battery temperature and that it was too warm to charge yet the cooling system wasn't on at all.
So how could my battery be too warm to charge at full speed in much cooler temperatures without the cooling system first kicking like it did at Grants Pass. In fact, I can't recall in the last 8 months while charging that I heard it at all let alone loudly.

I have kept track of the battery temperature for over a year now in all kinds of conditions. As long as the cooling system works normal, I have never had a Supercharger slowdown due to temperature. No matter how hot it was, the cooling system was always able to keep the battery temperature under control. It peaked up to a little over 50 Celsius here and there but the charge rate did not slow down in these cases. I do hear the fans and AC compressor running on high very clearly every time I Supercharge in warm weather. Even when it's cold outside eventually the fan will become noticeable. If you don't hear the cooling system in warm conditions, that's the root of the problem. That will definitely cause the battery to get too hot.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and MP3Mike
I have kept track of the battery temperature for over a year now in all kinds of conditions. As long as the cooling system works normal, I have never had a Supercharger slowdown due to temperature. No matter how hot it was, the cooling system was always able to keep the battery temperature under control. It peaked up to a little over 50 Celsius here and there but the charge rate did not slow down in these cases. I do hear the fans and AC compressor running on high very clearly every time I Supercharge in warm weather. Even when it's cold outside eventually the fan will become noticeable. If you don't hear the cooling system in warm conditions, that's the root of the problem. That will definitely cause the battery to get too hot.

OK. Dumb question. How do you keep track of the battery temperature?

What happens to those who don't pay these balances? I think the way it should work is to require a working credit card on file first before anybody can supercharge.
See this post for complete SC billing details including screen shots of idle charges Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee
Glad to see that Tesla is now enforcing the fees before the Model 3 arrives at the end of the month :cool:

screen-shot-2017-07-08-at-6-24-05-am-png.234647

Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm headed out on a duplicate trip from one last year in a few minutes. The conditions appear to be basically the same as last year weather wise, so we should have a decent little set of data points to compare the pre-throttle and post-throttle time @ the same 6 Superchargers.

Here's to hoping those SCs don't have any mechanical/electrical issues. They are very little used, so I don't anticipate any issues with them.

I'm headed out on a duplicate trip from one last year in a few minutes. The conditions appear to be basically the same as last year weather wise, so we should have a decent little set of data points to compare the pre-throttle and post-throttle time @ the same 6 Superchargers.

Here's to hoping those SCs don't have any mechanical/electrical issues. They are very little used, so I don't anticipate any issues with them.
If you head through Hays, you'll have to let me know if the local from Russell still takes up 3-4 spots when charging his. :rolleyes: