Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This drop wasn't all at once I assume. Did you notice your charge speeds dropped in stages? As in for awhile was it ok at 100kW, then 90kW, and now 80kW?
Seemed to happen more suddenly, only a year ago we were hitting 115kw at other superchargers, started noticing a slowdown at nearby superchargers but trip superchargers would be fine, then we went on a trip earlier this year and all the stops were slow

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
The 470A max when 'new' and 244A max when 'old/used' battery translates to basically a ~50% degradation in SuperCharging speeds.
Not quite 50%, as the system itself would be limited by other factors. If it could actually Supercharge at 470A that would be 170kW or so. Yet the real world data over at ABRP has never showed a peak rate over 130kW for a 75 pack. That means a degradation from around 360A max observed to 244A, a ~33% degradation. Still big, of course, probably adding ten minutes to a SC session during the period when the car would be at rates higher than that, and worse if it also reduces the rates for the rest of the curve.

Interestingly you can also see this limit as a trendline in the ABRP data, showing up on the 90 packs around 95kW and on the 75 packs around 80kW. There's a visible fat line there. We might know where it comes from now, the lower SC limit for packs with lots of SC miles. I would like to see what the current data looks like, since the most recent charging curve update. My end-of-production 90 got a Ludicrous capable battery, which during a recent software update apparently means a bump to almost 150kW charging, as observed at my last SC session. I wonder what other tweaks came along with that.

Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
Went to SC in Brandon, FL with 90 miles of range left on my 2020 X. I could only get 14kw of charge. My garage is 48kw. Is this SC broken?
I noticed that when I had a destination in the Nav that I could reach on remaining charge, the SC speed dropped down to that range. I stopped charging, cleared the destination, replugged and went right back to the speed I usually get. That was one experience but a theory I am working on. Maybe a new feature from a recent firmware update? 12/17 MS75D

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
I wonder if it is permanent though. Could it be SC vs not SC as a percentage?
Once you hit say 50% it starts to slow down.
Maybe more non-SC charges could drop you below that threshold.

it is permanent and lowers the charge speed across the entire charge curve. It really sucks and might be the reason I choose a Rivian over the Cybertruck (have reservations for both) if Rivian has a decent charging network by the time they arrive.

I noticed that when I had a destination in the Nav that I could reach on remaining charge, the SC speed dropped down to that range. I stopped charging, cleared the destination, replugged and went right back to the speed I usually get. That was one experience but a theory I am working on. Maybe a new feature from a recent firmware update? 12/17 MS75D
As recent as a month ago I've done the same and had it carry on at high charge rates well past the required amount.

There are a lot of reasons SC speed can slow down. This theory would need a lot more support. More likely causes are connector wear, paired stall conditions, or other SC issues.