Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear All,

Many thanks for the answers:

My question now is: The limitation will get worst and worst while doing more Km or will stay like this?
And if it is going to get worst, will reach the point that you can not use anymore the car for long travel? Like the throttle will reach limit to 50Kw? Because if it is like this, I find this unacceptable and probably a limitation that can be subject of court case.

Model X 100D
September 2018
71.000 km

Cheers
Stefano

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Dear All,

Many thanks for the answers:

My question now is: The limitation will get worst and worst while doing more Km or will stay like this?
And if it is going to get worst, will reach the point that you can not use anymore the car for long travel? Like the throttle will reach limit to 50Kw? Because if it is like this, I find this unacceptable and probably a limitation that can be subject of court case.

Cheers
Stefano
In my experience it has not gotten worse, but who knows what future software updates have in store for us :-/

Probably a case for early buyers but since it was disclosed in the manual when you bought your car you might not have a case.

Sorry but in my manual is not disclosed this information. I will check again, but I did not find anything regarding limiting the charging speed after a defined threshold of Kw in DC loaded in the battery.

It’s a scam. They should leave it to the consumer whether they will prefer ‘shortened’ battery life/increased wear for shorter charge times on a display dialogue like when you charge to 100% and it pops the warning up.

The reason I say that? There are times where a shorter charge time is needed or preferred and times when you have the luxury of sitting at the charger for multiple hours or even overnight for a nap.

User selected charge rates/profiles would be interesting to say the least!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Like others have said, tesla throttles you to protect their bottom line. Otherwise they will be replacing batteries quite often for those who uses the car like it was intended. My only hope is once tesla becomes long term sustainable, they will make it right and give those affected free or low cost battery replacement.
Dream on. They already are in the position that they could make all the early adopters, the ones they tout as having made the Model 3 and subsequent ones possible, "whole." They haven't done a damn thing, and I don't think they will. We're just SOL. Tesla does what it wants, and no one seems interested in holding them accountable for their ethically questionable behavior.

And for all you "Tesla can do no wrong" fanbois who will "disagree" with this post, show us your evidence that Tesla will step up and make things right.

What does making it right look like? I fully expect that the battery pack in my car will degrade with time. Tesla has never promised and does not owe me that it will stay at 100% of original capacity or 100% of original charge rate forever. So what amount of degradation and what amount of slowdown is acceptable? This is a serious question.

Relating to this specific thread Tesla initially never said anything about charging speed being limited after a certain number of DC charging events. Instead they said go ahead and supercharge as much as you like. Then after the fact they started limiting charging speed. I'd say those people were mislead by Tesla and should have some sort of compensation.

So what sort? What's the material harm and what is the correct remedy?

Personally I have been thinking about this and I would feel whole if Tesla added a battery health page to the app or the in car screen. Something similar to the iPhone one, where it shows percentage battery health and perhaps percentage of fast charging available until speed reduction. Mind you this is a pretty minor thing to me as I only Supercharge on trips so the car will be a decade old or more before I have any risk of throttling. In fact the car charges faster now than it did when I bought it.

Reactions: SmartElectric
What does making it right look like? I fully expect that the battery pack in my car will degrade with time. Tesla has never promised and does not owe me that it will stay at 100% of original capacity or 100% of original charge rate forever. So what amount of degradation and what amount of slowdown is acceptable? This is a serious question.
"Making it right" would have been as simple as being up front with people and telling them of previously unexpected degradation / impacts that would necessitate reducing charging rates, as soon as Tesla knew they would be doing so. Instead they just dumped it out there and (IMO) hoped no one would notice.

So after making the foreseeably bad decision to just dump the charging restrictions on their start-up customers, they doubled down on their stupidity by refusing, to this day, to open up about the entire subject. NOWHERE is it mentioned on their sales website that they may restrict charging rates on customers at any time (or indeed take away any capability they decide they want to), at their sole discretion.

Lithium battery capacity degradation is a long-known fact, and Tesla did not hide that. In fact, they added the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty to the early vehicles in large part to offset that particular concern. Now they've realized that may have been a bit hasty, so they emasculate the charging rates (something they never warned might happen until well past mid-2016) to keep from having to replace batteries that are degrading much faster than they expected.

From my perspective, "making it right" now entails replacing older batteries with the current versions, at the additional cost to the owner that the higher capacity battery purchase would have been when it first became available. For example, the 100Kw battery Model S would have cost about $3k more than my 90Kw battery Model S, as I recall. So offer the upgrade to me for #3k.

I think most "early adopters" aren't unreasonable. Most of us understand that high-capacity battery usage for automobile propulsion was full of unknowns. Unexpected things were bound to come up, like the apparent need to throttle charge rates in order to control battery degradation. Had Tesla shown the respect they should have to their customers, and the same loyalty to their customers that their customers showed to them, reasonable charging rate throttling would have been a lot more acceptable. Unfortunately, they chose another approach and squandered much, if not most, of that customer loyalty.

The view from this thread makes it look as if people are upset but it is not changing their behavior. There are a number of people on this thread who have documented throttling and then bought another Tesla, or two.
This type of anecdotal evidence doesn't really prove anything. I'm definitely less likely to stay with Tesla in the future because of this issue. I'm still a Tesla fanatic, and there's probably an 80% chance my next car purchase will be a Tesla, but if not for this issue that number could be 90%. You get the idea. And of course on this forum we have a selection bias. The people that gave up on Tesla because of the throttling are no longer posting here. They're over on the Taycan forum or whatever.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Just to be clear. The original thread was pointing to issues with the 90kwh and 75kwh packs, which initially had higher amounts of silicon in them.

Based on stefano_mx's experience (I've fallen behind on this thread so might've missed some others), is the affected pool now pretty much all 18650 battery packs (because no 3 nor Y's have been affected yet?) after the 85kwh packs? Or are they included only if you supercharge often?