Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you had $150k for a car, but the p100d didn't exist, what would you buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming you mean Tesla didn't exist at all? Probably back to one of my last 2 cars, either a new Chevy Volt or a Coyote era 6-speed manual Ford Mustang GT. The Mustang is the closest thing to what I really want to drive at the price point I want without taking things like the future of mankind into consideration. If Tesla made a $35K-$40K electric manual transmission Ford Mustang GT with a 4 sec 0-60, I'd be in heaven.

That leaves another $110K for other things. I'd probably spend maybe $30K on a rooftop solar, $20K on other home improvements, $20K paydown on my mortgage, $20K added to long term savings or investments, $5K for a bitchin vacation, leaving about $15K in reserve for ... whatever else comes to mind later.

Last edited:
Assuming you mean Tesla didn't exist at all? Probably back to one of my last 2 cars, either a new Chevy Volt or a Coyote era 6-speed manual Ford Mustang GT. The Mustang is the closest thing to what I really want to drive at the price point I want without taking things like the future of mankind into consideration. If Tesla made a $35K-$40K electric manual transmission Ford Mustang GT with a 4 sec 0-60, I'd be in heaven.

That leaves another $110K for other things. I'd probably spend maybe $30K on a rooftop solar, $20K on other home improvements, $20K paydown on my mortgage, $20K added to long term savings or investments, $5K for a bitchin vacation, leaving about $15K in reserve for ... whatever else comes to mind later.

Yes - if tesla didn't exist at all, and you *had* to spend the $150k on a car. Like if you didn't spend it all, the rest of the cash would get launched into space on one of EM's falcon rockets.

I ask because I was doing the math on the p100d, and just started thinking what other crazy car could I get for the same money?

Reactions: jimmyjohn