Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were adding an EVSE charge station for use by all EVers....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. How does this work? Is it that the CC is master and HPWC slaves off it? I know the new HWPCs have load-sharing capability, though less aware of your config. My current setup is now 80A capable (100A line) Tesla HPWC and now using Tony's adapter (JDapter Stub) for J1772 / PlugShare use, though am likely getting an used Leaf soon for my learner child.
Right now the ClipperCreeks can share with a similar Clipper Creek as a Tesla can share with a tesla. With Tesla you set a master but with the Clipper Creek you just seem to tie together an extra wiring cable. I just read about it in the install manual. You would normally order with the sharing option but I was told they can retrofit.

Reactions: MikeBur
Clipper Creek CS100, without a doubt.

Delivers 80Amps, super reliable, and absolutely any EV with J1772, either native or adaptor, can use it.

Yes some Tesla's can charge at up to 80 Amps. But I don't think it's a good idea to put in 80 Ampere chargers. It's a waste of resources. If you have an 80 Amp station, you might get the occasional Tesla that is happy but does he need it that fast?

I installed 2 CS100's at my office and have had a number of Tesla drivers thank me for doing so. There are numerous 30 amp stations near my office, but these CS100 stations can charge a Tesla with dual chargers almost 3 times faster.

There was also a sponsor for a TMC Connect (I didn't go this year, so not sure if they were there again) that provides a dual head 80A J1772 EVSE that was based on OpenEVSE...

Someone around here remember the company, they seemed to be very familiar with Tesla and other EVs.

I installed 2 CS100's at my office and have had a number of Tesla drivers thank me for doing so. There are numerous 30 amp stations near my office, but these CS100 stations can charge a Tesla with dual chargers almost 3 times faster.

I'm sure they love it. Once there are more EVs on the roads (future proofing) wouldn't you want to have more stations for the same money? With a 200 Amp service panel you can feed 6 chargers and make 5 EV owners happy, or you can make two Tesla owners happy.

I'm sure they love it. Once there are more EVs on the roads (future proofing) wouldn't you want to have more stations for the same money? With a 200 Amp service panel you can feed 6 chargers and make 5 EV owners happy, or you can make two Tesla owners happy.
And that's the rub, right? Figuring out what the likely demand on the system will be. I'll go out on a limb and say it's not likely that more than two cars at the same time visit mknox's place of business (any stats, mknox?), and not likely that more than one car would be visiting the OP (at the same time). Therefore 6 chargers would likely be a bit of a waste, the other way, and overkill.

And that's the rub, right? Figuring out what the likely demand on the system will be. I'll go out on a limb and say it's not likely that more than two cars at the same time visit mknox's place of business (any stats, mknox?), and not likely that more than one car would be visiting the OP (at the same time). Therefore 6 chargers would likely be a bit of a waste, the other way, and overkill.

The original question had 'future proof' in it so I think assuming there will be more EV in the future is a pretty safe assumption.

I'm also pretty confident future EVs will not come with faster on board chargers. As long as you can recharge easily over night, there is no need for faster charge speeds. Fast charging needs are much better met with DC chargers. Even if it takes a detour and waiting, it's still overall faster to go to a CHADeMO station or Supercharger. Adding 50 kWh with a 72 Amp charger takes 3 hours. With a CHADeMO one our, with a Supercharger just over 30 min.

The original question had 'future proof' in it so I think assuming there will be more EV in the future is a pretty safe assumption.

I'm also pretty confident future EVs will not come with faster on board chargers. As long as you can recharge easily over night, there is no need for faster charge speeds. Fast charging needs are much better met with DC chargers. Even if it takes a detour and waiting, it's still overall faster to go to a CHADeMO station or Supercharger. Adding 50 kWh with a 72 Amp charger takes 3 hours. With a CHADeMO one our, with a Supercharger just over 30 min.
I agree with your assessment of the future - that fast charging will mostly be supplied by DC fast charging. But that's all the more reason why the OP should install high-amperage AC charging at his house for others. If DC charging is available in his neighborhood, then cars capable of that will go to the DC chargers. The people who are going to benefit from the OP's goodwill are unlikely to be able to use DC charging for whatever reason. And those people are more likely to be able to benefit from high-amperage AC. Nobody is going to go to your house to use 40 amps except your in-laws who will stay overnight. Nobody else will have time for it.

You can do BOTH. And as a Roadster owner that can't supercharge the ability to charge at 70 amps is golden. Just employ the sharing option.

Reactions: hcsharp
I'm sure they love it. Once there are more EVs on the roads (future proofing) wouldn't you want to have more stations for the same money?

I'm also pretty confident future EVs will not come with faster on board chargers. As long as you can recharge easily over night, there is no need for faster charge speeds.

When I put these 100 amp stations in a couple of years ago, I thought I was future proofing. My assumption was that as more EVs hit the road, they would ultimately come with larger batteries and larger on-board chargers, with the Model S being the first in this series. I installed one station per two parking spots so that as one car finished (quickly) a second could be plugged in without having to shuffle cars.

It seems apparent now that "fast" charging will likely be the realm of Superchargers or other DC Fast Charging systems, and L2 will be relegated to the home.

Oh well,,, at least there are a couple of units that Teslas can make full use of and other cars can plug in to as well (unlike a HPWC).

Reactions: SageBrush
Is is an interesting topic. I have friends with a condo with a garage they rent out on VRBO. They were looking for ways to make their condo more attractive than others nearby. I asked them if they had any EV charging in their condo's garage?

Of course they responded... "what's an EV?"

So I enlightened them and now they are looking for options to install something that would satisfy the full spectrum of EV drivers.

Thanks for the info here. Is a simple 240v 14-50 enough? Can Leafs (Leaves?) and Toyotas and so forth use that with their own adapters? Or is the CS100 the way to go?

Is is an interesting topic. I have friends with a condo with a garage they rent out on VRBO. They were looking for ways to make their condo more attractive than others nearby. I asked them if they had any EV charging in their condo's garage?

So I enlightened them and now they are looking for options to install something that would satisfy the full spectrum of EV drivers.

Thanks for the info here. Is a simple 240v 14-50 enough? Can Leafs (Leaves?) and Toyotas and so forth use that with their own adapters? Or is the CS100 the way to go?
I think the only EVs that can plug into a 14-50 outlet are Teslas. But consider that a Leaf and most other EVs don't have the range to get to a vacation home (most people renting a vacation home would do so >100 miles away). So a simple 14-50 outlet would satisfy the vast majority of EV tourism today, but to get to 100% coverage a J1772 such as Clipper Creek would be needed. Personally I don't think it would be worth the added expense.

Do they also use AirBnB ?
I think Tesla has an agreement with them for giving a HPWC to some hosts.
Tesla partners with AirBnb to bring charging stations to homes

The answer to your question depends on how long the guests will stay there. It sounds like they will be there overnight in which case the NEMA 14-50 would be adequate. It will only charge at 40A which is enough for an overnight stay.

Any EV can charge from a 14-50 outlet if they have a mobile connector cable. Tesla supplies one with every car they sell but other manufacturers don't. However, most EV owners who are serious about traveling have acquired a 14-50 charging cable.

Reactions: KJD and dhrivnak

As a minimum NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 outlets.
110V outlet gives 1kWh of energy per hour. It works well with low range EV's and all plug-in hybrids.
To win all potential customers there must be J1772 EVSE with 32A limit.
This one for non-Tesla medium range EV's, like Bolt.
All three charging options can be wired to one main box with 50A main fuse (there is no need for more
as there will be no more than one car charging at any given time). This will keep the cost down.
Tesla proprietary EVSE is redundant to NEMA 14-50 outlet. And J1772 (aka Type1) does almost the same job.
CS100 is definitely overkill. Price is important.
If you want to stick to ClipperCreek then cheaper option is to get HCS-40P and mount it to the wall so it
can not be removed (stolen). Plug it into another NEMA outlet that is out of reach of clients (can not be unplugged).
I do not recommend investing into very high power EVSE's. Safety and actual end cost plays a big role.
And of course, in the end of the month, somebody has to pay for the juice. Keeping it up to 40A per garage
at any time will definitely keep unexpected surprises under control.
This setup requires 15A, 40A and 50A fuses in the main box, 3 wall outlets right next to each other (one is in a small locked box)
and easy to install EVSE.

If money is a thing, skip the EVSE and just have everything else installed (2x NEMA 14-50 (one is locked out), 1x NEMA 5-15)
and 3 breakers like mentioned above.

This applies to US. For EU, Schuko as a minimum. Tesla HPWC (aka Type2) with maximum possible amperage
as optional extra. In case of 1 phase only, 32A, in case of 3-phase availability, 16A is fine though mid-range
EV's will struggle due to one-phase onboard charger (Bolt etc).
If money is a thing, skip EVSE and install Red outlet (if 3 phase is available), if not, install Blue outlet.

Reactions: Buster1
Both the Tesla wall connector and and the Clipper Creek allow for load sharing. So they can share a circuit and if one car is charging they get full power but if a second (or third) shows up they will share. Higher power is always welcome so if you can easily afford the charging stations the higher power can and will be used. But even a NEMA 14-50 is much better than nothing.

I would go with any J1772, 30a minimum. Would charge most Tesla cars overnight without a problem. No one needs to carry their adapter that way.

No need for CS1000. Too expensive and would only help with quick turnaround.

I assume the VRBO is some sort of destination and not just a travel spot?

VRBO is Vacation Rental By Owner. A good place to rent a condo or house for a few days or longer from someone who owns the property. They are all over the country of course. Kinda like Air BNB but it's usually a whole house/condo and for a few days, not just a night or two. My friends condo is in a popular ski resort, minutes from the lifts.

Thanks for the great tips here. I'm passing it all along to my friends with the Condo!