Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm getting sick of the cold and it's only January

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Between yesterday and today my 6 week old X100D has a full coating of road salt and I can barely see the paint. It was 9 degrees this morning. I'm averaging 2000 k/wt hour of energy just to idle (ok maybe I'm exaggerating) and my range is cut by a third (not exaggerating). Poured a glass of wine after a tough work week back after the holidays and went into the garage to implement my anal retentive winter no water Chemical Guys wash routine however the entire bottle of product is frozen solid. My car didn't sleep all day because presumably it is smart enough to keep vital components warm so it does not freeze to death. The wind chill is -10 tonight and I am in Maryland not Antarctica. I can't even wash the windshield because I guess they filled the washer fluid with water so it's frozen.

It is time for Spring.

Between yesterday and today my 6 week old X100D has a full coating of road salt and I can barely see the paint. It was 9 degrees this morning. I'm averaging 2000 k/wt hour of energy just to idle (ok maybe I'm exaggerating) and my range is cut by a third (not exaggerating). Poured a glass of wine after a tough work week back after the holidays and went into the garage to implement my anal retentive winter no water Chemical Guys wash routine however the entire bottle of product is frozen solid. My car didn't sleep all day because presumably it is smart enough to keep vital components warm so it does not freeze to death. The wind chill is -10 tonight and I am in Maryland not Antarctica. I can't even wash the windshield because I guess they filled the washer fluid with water so it's frozen.

It is time for Spring.

Add some alcohol to your washer fluid. Rubbing alcohol that is... save your scotch for making you feel better about the cold weather. :D

Reactions: AdamHLG
I hear ya...my 3 week old MS is dirty and gunky and I can't do a damn thing about it!
It is supposed to warm above freezing for two days next week....and I am out of town for work....grrrr

Yeah just came home from a week away. Opened the garage door to pull in, while I was getting out of the car a pipe burst. Home Depot is already closed, so Ill be up early to fix that after tearing the drywall out this evening.
I just wanted to enjoy my bed tonight!

Greetings from Australia :cool:
A16FF35C-ECF6-45FE-8C7E-8285644054C9.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: umeshunni and Dr. J
Why would it be filled with water?

I had read on other TMC posts while searching about it that cars manufacturered in California, unless you are at or near the mountains, get some sort of "smog water" for washer fluid for environmental reasons and that it freezes. But then I read that blue washer water freezes too. All I know is that my wipers wipe but pushing the wash button does not work when the past weeks temps averaged 7 to 23 degrees. I was / am concerned I may need a SC visit but I will wait for the 45 degree thaw mid next week and see what's up.

Tesla is a California company. All the original Roadsters and Model S cars were filled with summer window washer fluid. The service center in Chicago refilled the car in winter with this. Once I understood the problem I waited for the car to warm up one night in the garage, drove into the driveway and spent 5 minutes using up all the fluid and replaced it with winter fluid. Be happy that the Model X has a better design position for the spray nozzles to clean the windshield.